Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GORGET TABS

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

In World War One, were the Gorget Tabs issued to officers of the RAMC, Royal Engineers and the Ordnance Corps different in colour to those of Infantry, Artillery and Cavalry Officers (which were scarlet)?

I saw in a book on WWII uniform that they were different colours, depending on which Corps one was attached to. When did this come about?

Frank Bartholomew

Guest tintin

It was the arm of the staff rather than the parent corps that dictated the colour of the tab - Red was the General Staff. the bar in the centre also differs with the rank of the wearer

I do not know when they were introduced, but the introduction of khakhi service dress for temperate climates in 1902 and the growth of staffs following the creation of the Army Council and the post of CIGs was probably the start of it.

There was quite a full description of these in the two volume First World War book by the Funkens (a book I'd love to see again), but I've never seen any thing about gorget patches anywhere else.

Special Army Order of 17 Jan 1902 which intro. Service Dress for Officers neither invented nor changed gorget patches.

Therefore, either a pre-existing system continued, or the patches were intro. afterwards.

I suspect the former, and although out of my period, I do have some references, so will grovel around when next I have leisure.

Gorget patches seem not to have existed as staff distinctions before 1902, but I suspect were invented and sanctioned before 1914. Kings Regs 1912 and 1914 mute on subject. By 1918 there was a full-blown system for use in service dress. I attach [if it works] all you need to know from 1918 edition Of Mil. Org. and Admin. by Major GRN Collins.

The impossible takes a little longer.

If this fails, will do a hand job on it.

Don't have the Regs to hand, but yes, the Branches wore distinguishing colour gorget patches.

RAMC's were 'Dull Cherry'

RE, RA, Staff, were Scarlet

Dentists were Green, with a light green gimp (stripe dwn the centre)

Chaplains were purple, with a black horn button

Never having seen a real one, I gather the RFC's were sky blue with a red gimp.

Intelligence staff wore all green ones.

There were yellow ones also (Pay, I think?)

This list not exhaustive...

Curses, could not work the attachment thingy.

In brief:

gorgets and cap band matched.

Generals commanding formations gold gimp on gorget.

crimson with similar gimp: all GSO, AG, QMG, Bde Maj,Staff Capt, Mil Attache, ADC, Orderly O, Cols commanding Bdes.

blue with a red gimp on centre line: Engineers and almost anything you can think of such as [the list is endless] supplies, transport, ordnance, medical, veterinary, remounts, signals, postal, railway etc etc.

Green with light green gimp: at home only, musketry, gymnasia, recruiting, catering, home Intelligence

black: chaplains.

I searched diligently for artillery, and concluded they were all GS.

Even longer list by 1940 but we don't want that, do we?

Do we?

I fear Staffsyeoman's list is c. 1940, I have two such sources with very similar lists. They had not got that inventive by 1918 according to Collins.

Gorgets were originally a piece of armour that protected the throat. They were retained as a distinctive piece of officers uniform after armour was dispensed with and were hung on a piece of ribbon around the neck. The Clothing Warrant of 12th December 1768 directed that the Kings Arms and Regimental number were to be engraved upon them.

They appear to have gone out of use after 1830 but according to T L Edwards's "Military Customs," were reintroduced as as the Gorget patch or tab, during the Boer War.

Terry Reeves

Initially gorgets were restricted to G, A, and Q staff officers down to and including Brigade Majors and Staf Captains, as well as ADCs [ACI dated 23 Aug 14]. Under a further ACI dated 5 Oct 14 Directors, Assistant Directors, and Deputy Assistant Directors at the War Office became entitled. The list given by Langleybaston reflects the significant exoanion authorised by Army Order 92/16.

Charles M

I stand corrected on the Sapper gorgets.

But mine also come from a print of a page from 'The Boy's Own' paper in 1916.

I think I'm right (by recollection of Regs) about the RFC ones - the colour scheme is, to put it politely, 'striking'. Yellow ones were, I think authorised but I wouldn't die in a ditch over whether they were actually worn?

Fosten and Marrion 'The British Army 1914-1918' give two lists, one said to date from 1911 Dress Regs as follows:

Staff crimson, ASC blue with white silk line, Medical Staff Colonels blue with black braid line, other medical plain blue, ordnance blue with scarlet line, Pay blue with yellow, Veterinary Colonels maroon with scarlet line, other vets plain maroon, School of Instruction Inspectors blue with light blue.

Cites AO 92, as per my previous list.

Given the dubious reputations of staff officers, the above seem at the limits of acceptable complexity

From left to right:

Major Bell RE, Major Gen Sir Ivor Phillips, the Mayor of Abergavenny, unknown, Capt Kirkwood RE, Lt Lloyd George, Capt Morrall RE. Lt Lloyd George is wearing gorgets, presumably a staff officer to Phillips.

post-3-1057259355.jpg

Terry

Ivor Philipps was commanding 38th (Welsh) Division and Gwilym Lloyd George, David LG's younger son, was his ADC and hence entitled to wear staff tabs.

Charles M

• 4 weeks later...
Guest FRANKBARTHOLOMEW

Just to return to this subject, I have been looking at a website on the AIF: http://www.unsw.adfa.edu.au/~rmallett/Generals; and it leaves me wondering: did Staff Officers of the Medical, Engineers and Ordnance branches, below the rank of Full Colonel, wear gorget tabs on their uniforms?

I've been trying to look at the photograph on the divisions section of this webpage, and cannot work it out.

Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

Frank Bartholomew

• 2 years later...

This is going to be quite a long addition to this thread, I hope it helps. Extracted from a post March 1916 WW1, One Shilling booklet "Badges and their meaning" A companion to "Rank at a Glance" produced by George Philip and Son Ltd 32 Fleet St London.

STAFF AND DEPARTMENTAL CAPS AND GORGET BADGES

An Army Oder was issued in March 1916, defining the correct dress as far as it affects Caps and Gorget Patches to be worn by Officers holding General, Administrative, Technical and Departmental Staff, and Miscellaneous Appointments as follows:

Any Officer holding any of the appointments in list "A" to wear the Staff forage cap, with peak embroidered or plain according to rank, and with cover of drab material, fitted so as to show the scarlet band, badge and peak (see image). They are also to wear the scarlet cloth gorget patches, with a line of crimson gimp as shown in the latter image.

A Appointments at the War Office

Asst Adjt General

Asst to the Deputy Asst Director

Asst Directors

Asst Director-General Army Med Svcs

Assist Director-General Army Vet Svcs

Asst Mil Secretary

Asst to chief Inspector of QM-General Svcs

Dep-Asst Adjt-General

Dep-Asst Director-General Army Med Svcs

Dep-Asst Director-General Army vet Svcs

Dep-Directors

Dep-Director-General Army Vet Svcs

Directors

General Staff Officers Gd, 1, 2 and 3

Inspector of Army Ordnance Svcs

Inspector of Med Svcs

Staff Captain

Staff LT

Sub-Director

Outside the war Office and in the Field

ADC

asst Adjt and QM General

Asst Mil Sec

Assist QM

Asst to Major-General in charge of Admin

BM

Colonel Comd an Infantry Bde

Dep-Adjt and QM-General

Dep-Adjt-General

Dep-Asst Adjt and QM-General

Dep-Asst Adjt-General

Dep-Asst Mil Sec

Dep-Asst QM-General

Dep QM-General

General Staff Officers

Inspector of Arty

Inspector of Cavalry

Inspector of Infantry

Inspector of Reserve Units

Inspector of RE

Inspector of RGA

Inspector of RHA and Field Arty

Inspector of the Territorial Forces

Mil Attaches

Mil Sec

Staff Captain Staff LT

Officers holding appointments that are "graded as" one of the above, and Officers "attached" to the Staff, are not to wear the Staff forage cap and scarelt gorget patches.

More to follow in due course (List B and C, plus images from the booklet),

cheers for now,

Chris