Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

HMS Goliath sunk 13/5/15

per ardua per mare per terram

On the night of the 13th May HMS Goliath was providing artillery support for the forces at Gallipoli, she was torpedoed by the Turkish destroyer Muavenet-I-Miliet and sank rapidly with the loss of 570 men.

When we were out there two years ago and went out in the boat to lay a wreath to Thomas Whiting (the unckle of one of the party) this was the view of the Goliath from the top, on the monitor you can just see the Goliath coming into view, i'm afraid i did not get more of it!

Hope it comes out ok.

Mandy

trying again.

Mandy

I canot reduce the pic (not that good on computors) so can't send it Sorry.

Here's a photo.

Robbie

post-4246-1116018417.jpg

The nemesis of HMS Goliath was one of two ships illustrated by the photograph below which appears in Jane’s Fighting Ships of World War I

They were Schichau boats, both built in 1909 for the German navy as S-165 and S-168 which were sold to Turkey in 1910, one of them becoming the Muvanet-i-Milet

607 tons, and listed as having had 3 x 18 inch torpedo tubes

p.s: In his book ‘Five Years in Turkey,’ General Liman von Sanders states that the Muavanet-i-Miliet was under the command of Lieutenant Firle and that the “attack was so well prepared and so sudden that the Turkish torpedo boat was able to withdraw through the straits without damage.”

post-386-1116084314.jpg

Edited by michaeldr

• 8 months later...

Whilst look at the Times, I notice a rather unusual list amongst the many lists of casualties.

A list of SURVIVORS of the sinking of the Goliath. Thought it might be of interest...

The Times 17th May 1915

SurvivorsoftheGoliathTimes17-5-1915.jpg

Steve.

• 1 month later...
Guest Alison S

The Revd Ivor Lewis who was chaplain sank with the ship. The local newspaper in Uttoxeter (where he had been curate) stated that he was not amongst the survivors as it was the chaplains duty to stay and offer comfort to those who could not escape. I have a picture of him if anyone is researching this

• 2 years later...

Hello I am new to the forum and found it by accident, My grandad was a survivor of this sinking if you look down the bottom list you can see S Tripp that is my grandad, and I would very much like to have a copy of this cutting if you would be so kind.

I have a smnall web page on my grandad here >>MYGRANDAD

IN MEMORIAM: two Anglesey sailors who died in the Goliath sinking -

4366A Seaman Hugh Jones RNR, aged 25. Parents resident at 7 California Terrace, Holyhead. Wife resident at Bootle, Lancs.

345823 Leading Cook's Mate Robert William Lyons RN, aged 30. Parents resident 20 London Road, Holyhead. Wife resident 12 Summer Hill, Holyhead.

Both commemorated on the Plymouth Naval Memorial.

LST_164

• 9 months later...
When we were out there two years ago and went out in the boat to lay a wreath to Thomas Whiting (the unckle of one of the party) this was the view of the Goliath from the top, on the monitor you can just see the Goliath coming into view, i'm afraid i did not get more of it!

Hope it comes out ok.

Mandy

My maternal grandfather (Tedbury) was lost with the Goliath. I have long had a wish to visit Morto bay and the wreck but age and distance (from New Zealand) and cost I may not get a chance. My daughter is leaving UK for a tour of the area in Mid March and any information on tours to the wreck or photographs would be appreciated

Joslin

• 4 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum Josclin,

Maybe if you start a thread requesting that information you will get more responces.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I've been researching about 65 names for the history part of a village website. I've started with the names on a "Roll of Honour" in the village church and things sort of got out of hand . . .

One of the names was one Talbot Axe, who died on the Goliath. No further information on him yet - I've got a lot to work through! I don't even know his rank yet - but I'm assuming he wasn't an officer, or it would have been mentioned. The CWGC website has nothing on him.

Background info on Goliath that I've been able to discover so far is:

HMS Goliath. Canopus-class pre-Dreadnought battleship; class consisted of HMS Canopus, Goliath, Albion, Ocean, Glory and Vengeance. Built at Chatham Dockyard; laid down on the 4th January 1897, launched on the 23rd March 1898 and completed on the 27th March 1900. Displacement: 12,950 tons, engines: 13,500 H.P. with twin screws, speed: 18 knots, length: 390 ft, beam: 74 ft, draught: 26 ft. 16 guns (main armament four 12-in). At the outbreak of World War One Goliath joined the 8th Battle Squadron of the Channel Fleet. Went to Loch Ewe to become guard ship. Covered the landings of Marines at Ostend on the 26th August and then went to the East Indies in September 1914 for convoy protection duties. Diverted to East Africa in November 1914 - took part in the operation against the Konigsberg in the Rufiji River, and bombarded Dar-es-Salaam January 2nd 1915. April 1915 went to the Dardanelles; supplied gunfire support at Cape Helles. Damaged by Turkish gunfire on the 28th April and 2nd May 1915. On the night of 12th May she was torpedoed by the Turkish torpedo boat Muavenet-i-Milet and sank quickly with the loss of 570 men.

Where did she go down? Morto Bay?

Regards

Jeremy Churchill

With all the fuss about whether topics not strictly First World War, (quiz, tofski, even Battleship Texas??) surprised this has gone without any remark on the caption "HMS Goliath sunk 13/5/05"!!!! Where are the guys who can tell one tiny spot of Flanders from another??? Standards slipping, eh what!!

• 3 weeks later...

Jeremy you might find these records helpful at the UK National Archives:

ADM 1/8404/451 Operations at Dar es Salaam. Casualties on HM Ships FOX, GOLIATH, WEYMOUTH and ADJUTANT 1914

ADM 1/8453/76B Loss of HMS GOLIATH. Proposed holding of Court Martial 1916

ADM 116/1446 Loss of H.M.S. GOLIATH 1915

ADM 53/43261 Ships' Logs GOLIATH 1915 Jan. 1 - 1915 Jan. 31

ADM 53/43262 GOLIATH 1915 Feb. 1 - 1915 Feb. 28

ADM 53/43263 GOLIATH 1915 Mar. 1 - 1915 Mar. 31

ADM 53/43264 GOLIATH 1915 Apr. 1 - 1915 Apr. 30

• 6 years later...