Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cardigan Sweater & Underwear & Socks

Gijoe

Hello has someone a pic or discription of a british WWI Cardigan sweater ?

Which Typ underwear used the Army ? The Soldiers carried a vest ( sleevless Undershirt) under the Grayback shirt ? Which Typ socks used the Army ?

attached is an image of a cardigan. The one on display in the IWM is a mid-brown, and has bias binding as edging.

post-671-1115557355.jpg

Here is another image.

post-671-1115557553.jpg

this is an image of the one on display at the IWM.

post-671-1115557736.jpg

This is an image of the WWI Cardigan sweater being worn by Australians of the 3rd Light Horse Regiment.

post-6040-1115560253.jpg

Gijoe,

Unfortunately, I'm about 2000km away from home at the moment, but will post photos in about a week should someone not beat me too it on some original items.

The cardigan, See the photos already posted. Officially they were made of drab woolen yarn, but lots of other varieties surfaced during the war. Also, by pattern no pockets were provided but pockets are apparent in many photo's particularly war time.

Underwear, Infantry wore full length woolen drawers (very similar to WWII varieties). I have a 1918 datted pair that I will post a photo of. Cavalry wore full length cotton drawers. During the war a cotton version of the Infantry drawers were developed an issued but I believe these mostly went to the Mid East.

Vests--These were woollen full sleeve pull-over. Made of natural colored wool. These were only devgeloped after the war began and were Winter Issue. I have a wartime vest. The display at the IWM has a vest also unfortunately Chris's photo does not show it.

Socks--Woolen grey yarn socks although the ones at the IWM appear green. Very non descript. I have a wartime pair and will post a photo.

There were also many articles that deviated from these descriptions and were either privately procured, emergency procured, comforts provided, but the descriptions above are official pattern samples.

Joe Sweeney

Hi Chris,

The photo of Australian gunners on an 8 inch has the soldier operating the dial sight wearing what could be an RAA badge rather than a General Service 'Rising Sun' do you know the date and location of the photograph?

Regards

Greg

It is a Hurley photograph taken at Voormezeele in September, 1917.

A siege brigade was raised in April 1915, largely from regular gunners of the Australian Garrison Artillery and they wore the cap badge of the Royal Australian Artillery rather than the ‘Rising Sun’ of the A.I.F. It usually operated in support of British units on the Western Front before it joined the Australian Corps Heavy Artillery in March 1918.

post-671-1115651549.jpg

Thanks for Information

I look forward to Joe Sweeney s Photos !

Forum members in Britain may be interested (or distressed) to know that Wilfred Brambell wore a WW1 British cardigan is his role as Harold Steptoe on "Steptoe and Son" (a 60s TV comedy about scrap merchants). Presumably it just happened to be lying about the costume department and somebody thought it looked the part. It gets gradually more disreputable as the series go on!

Many thanks Chris

Thought it might have been post war. Presumably this was the only unit in the AIF which wore its own regimental badge!

Greg

Many thanks Chris

Thought it might have been post war. Presumably this was the only unit in the AIF which wore its own regimental badge!

Greg

Sorry for going off-topic. As Chris said the Royal Australian Artillery did wear the RAA badge overseas, where-as everyone else wore the rising sun badge. Expanding the image Chris supplied, it appears that all the hat badges visable are the RAA badge. Below is an image of the badge on a 1916 slouch hat.

(Well spotted by the way, Greg)

I, too, am interested in seeing Joe Sweeney's underwear - so to speak -

probably could have worded that a little better.

post-6040-1115713097.jpg

post-6040-1115713114.jpg

Well-

It was the wrong shape for the General Service badge-

A friends grandfather had served post first World War and he had one

-and I am ex RAA but it was fascinating to realise that some had been worn overseas.I always found it odd that with so many distinguished unit badges none made it to the first world war- just pleased the exception was the Gunners!

Greg

Grant, I fail to see how dropshorts is 'Off topic'

you are not the only one waiting to see Joe's underlovlies

I've just bought a Scots uniform, complete with original draws (much moth, no skids)! Made of the same flannel as a greyback, but instead of just a button fly, they unbutton [/u]all the way around.....effectively falling into two halves.

I suspect this was so the wearer could make a quick ......how shall I put it........evacuation.......under the privacy of his kilt!

I would imagine you'd have to visit one of those shops with blacked out windows to find something similar today.

Joining the queue for a glimpse of Mr Sweeneys sweaties.......

ChrisP.

Well here are the undies.

This pattern dates from 1900 when "Drawers, Woollen,Universal" were introduced. These were made of knit shetland worsted yarn. The pattern was slightly modified in Sept of 1907 by the legs being cut a bit shorter and the drawers being manufactured in 5 instead of three sizes.

This pair is 1918 dated and also bears the double arrow mark of excess/surplus stock.

Joe Sweeney

Here are the socks.

These are not dated.

What is not readily apparant is that there are a series of narrow ribs at the top of the sock with a few wider ribs running across the top of the foot with the sole being plain.

I cannot say 100% when these socks were manufacturered but are 100% identical to 1914 dated pair in a friends collection. I also found these crammed into the toes of a ratty pair of B5's dated 1917.

There was a pattern change in 1916 (details are sketchy) but I believe that Drab yarn was substituted for grey. This would match the pair in the IWM which are also identical to these in construction but not color of yarn.

Joe Sweeney

This a winter vest. Issue started in 1915. It was only supposed to be issued in winter along with the belly band and woolen gloves/mitts.

This one is dated 1917, made in England, and was issued to a Canadian in the 23 res Bn CEF.

Joe Sweeney

• 2 years later...

Hello Messrs. Henschke & Sweeney,

some of your attached images aren't visible. I'm working on reproducing the cardigan (with the idea of possibly publishing the pattern on the forum), so I'd be very keen to view them!Do I need to do something to make them show up?

CJ Watts

The non-appearing photos are a result of various forum upgrades over the years - an unfortunate side effect of some of the earlier ones is that pictures were lost.

Almost everyone on the thread is still active (click on their name, select "Member Profile" and scroll down to "Last Seen"), so if no-one revisits the thread I would send a personal message to them, and you should stand a good chance of a reply.

Hope that helps,

Adrian

Adrian,

recently Tocemma posted photos of a Cardigan and underdrawers--long wolloen and short highland.

Also search under my name for a Dec 06 thread where i posted via web link phoos of my long drawers and other items.

Joe Sweeney

If anyone has the time before Christmas please find attached Sock Pattern WW 1.

John

My dear Mother is knocking up a pair of these socks for me for xmas, I'll let you know the result.

And thanks to all for advice on the cardigan images.

CJW

• 1 month later...

hobnail

Did your Mum ever finish the socks she was knitting for you.

John