Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

F. Duerr & Sons trench periscopes

Tony N

Hello,

I have two periscopes from F Duerr & Sons, the one on the right came in the canvas case.

My questions are, were these periscopes used in both World Wars and if so, is there a way of telling WWI and WWII models/purchases? The case doesn’t have any markings whatsoever apart from on the press studs which say made in England.

The periscope on the right has dark edges around the mirror, was this done for a reason or is it just in poor condition?

Thanks

Tony

post-6680-1113139292.jpg

In the Great War most of these sort of items were officers private purchase, I suppose it's possible there may have been a few left over and used privately in the Second WW but not as issue items - most periscopes then were rather more utilitarian as indeed were the later periscopes of the Great War.

They are both early Great War manufacture as is the case. The left hand model is the earlier type of Lifeguard with no supporting 'U' pieces at various points. The Lifeguard was introduced in early 1915 and then upgraded as per the second model you have to give more rigidity. The dark patches on your mirrors will almost certainly be deterioration of the silvering.

post-569-1113143694.jpg

Giles,

Thanks for your answer. I had been looking for this sort of periscope for about 10 years and these 2 turned up within 4 months of each other.

Tony

Tony,

My pleasure - It took me a while to find a nice one too. Do a search for 'lifeguard' as there has been previous discussion on these. BTW, I have your note - leave it with me - send me an email and I will attach it! :)

• 2 years later...

Hi there,

I noticed your posting. I'm doing Props on a WW1 film called Passchendaele, currently shooting in Canada. I've been looking for a "Lifeguard" periscope (unsuccesfully) for some time. I recently lost an auction on eBay for one and now I'm getting desperate.

I'm wondering if you'd be willing to sell or rent one of yours. Of course, if we were to rent it from you it would be fully insured.

Please let me know what you think. We'd really like to have one of these unique pieces to add texture and authenticity to our film.

I'm having some technical problems with the Great Wars website, so please contact me directly at jwihak@telus.net

Thanks,

Jordan Wihak

Assistant Property Master

Passchendaele Films

Hello,

I have two periscopes from F Duerr & Sons, the one on the right came in the canvas case.

My questions are, were these periscopes used in both World Wars and if so, is there a way of telling WWI and WWII models/purchases? The case doesn’t have any markings whatsoever apart from on the press studs which say made in England.

The periscope on the right has dark edges around the mirror, was this done for a reason or is it just in poor condition?

Thanks

Tony

• 6 years later...

I don't know if any of you are still searching for these BUT

The present-day Duerrs are extremely proud of their innovative ancestor and are releasing a limited-edition replica of the device to mark the Centenary and raise money for men and women in the services today.
The Lifeguard Periscope has been re-released by the Duerrs, the Manchester family who made them, to commemorate the centenary of The Great War. In memory of the soldiers who lost their lives on the front line, 100 replicas based on the original design have been made available for collectors priced £65, with postage and packaging included. 25 per cent of all sales will be donated to The Royal British Legion in support of the men and women who dedicate their lives to serving the country today.
The limited edition replicas are fully operational with reinforced frames formed by U-shaped strips to ensure they remain rigid at any point of extension. They come complete with a waterproof khaki pouch, which can be attached to a belt, as originally designed.
You can buy them on the family's website - http://www.duerrs.co...en/ww1-replica/

What a great initiative!

David