Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Verdun visit May 2005

channelhopper

We are planning to visit Verdun in May this year.

On searching the net for accommodation, there seems to a limited choice of places to bed down for the night.

Any recommendations please !

Thanks

Peter

there are 36 establishments listed.  I have tried only a couple of these without any problems and will be trying a third shortly.

MC

But be careful who you have to share a room with...............When I went to Verdun I ended up sharing with a chap called Mike Cross :lol: ........very dodgy character............Just couldn't get him out of the bars in the evening (which there are a number of excellent ones which serve KWAK)

if you want a cheap hotel there is a formula one in verdun

A bit more about Verdun on my website at:

http://battlefields1418.50megs.com/verdun_battlefields.htm

I used to always stay at the Formule 1. Rooms are basic, and not en-suite (several loos and showers on each corridor), but it is well sited for access to the battlefields and there is a superb restaurant opposite and a truckers restaurant (always good value in France) a short walk down the road.

Hotels in central Verdun tend to be expensive, and I have never stayed in them.

Outside of Verdun the B&B "Village Gaulois" has been recommended to me by a number of regulars to the area.

I can, with strong coviction, assure you that the Hotel by the Gate (can't remember the words in French) is by far the worst hotel I have ever stayed in in my life. It literally was a flea bag. At first appearance it looks to be a great location - in town, on La Meuse, near the Visitor Center, and relatively cheap, even the people were nice. However that did not make up for the misquito infested room.... and the bed bugs! Ach!!!

Andy

Village Gaulois

Paul Reed mentioned this hotel in Marre. It has nice rooms but the service at dinner was exceedingly slow. Beware!

Marre is a tiny village not far from Verdun.

LE COQ HARDI is often described as the best hotel in Verdun. It may look expensive but inquire about the prices beforehand.

The street leading from the station to the centre has several basic hotels and you can always visit the café LE LAPIN QUI FUME, if it is still there, or the Café de la Paix in the main street.

All the best,

Fred

I have stayed at Hotel Orchidees and did not enjoy it.

Gwyn

Wow,

Seeing all the BAD reviews, I can only repeat my opinion on the Prunellia. Christina Holstein gave me the tip.

It's not dirty, and the breakfast buffet will bring tears to your eyes.

Staff was very helpful, offering maps, and instructions on how to get to the battlefields, etc.

Cost was 59 euros with breakfast.

Paul

But be careful who you have to share a room with...............When I went to Verdun I ended up sharing with a chap called Mike Cross ........very dodgy character............Just couldn't get him out of the bars in the evening

Don't believe a word of it. Maybe I do like a drink from time to time, but always in the pursuit of quality. Anyways that Will O'Brien is one of those reformed smokers (and I hope he still is). Nearly made it to Ypres next month so maybe you had a close escape Will.

I can vouch for the Hotel de Commerce at Aubreville - a while ago tho, and a bit remote. The St Paul is not answering the phone at the moment but was fine last year. I am staying at the Cloche d'Or shortly - just hope this is not the flea-pit described earlier.

MC

There have been some bad experiences at Coq Hardi in recent years, avoid it. St Paul has been very good both times I stayed there, no English spoken but we got by. The really good restaurant there was closed at least for a time last year. There is a terrific Alsatian restaurant near Coq Hardi.

Many Thanks to all for all your recommendations, I will have a look at the sites listed.

I am sure you are lovely company Mike evening with you r'r drink problem but I

think it best to share a room with my good lady, I prefer to keep the body parts I have !.

Kind Regards

Peter

VERDUN

The COQ HARDI has a pleasantly olde worlde atmospere and seems to have been the officers' quarters.

Much cheaper is DU TIGRE, also with Great War associations, becaue this used to be a place where the wounded were taken care of and this is the place that Le Tigre

(Clemenceau, the Prime Minister) visited. It is about 33 euros and breakfast is about € 6. www.citotel.com/hotels/dutigre.html. Close by is an Italian restaurant if you can stand pizzas and pastas. By all means avoid the restaurant a bit closer to Verdun. DU TIGRE is a basic hotel and breakfast is served in a kind of cave where the wounded lay.

All the best,

Fred

I think Coq Hardi was Gestapo headquarters . I am told that at one point restaurant there had a Michelin star but it had really gone downhill last time I tried it, service was awful, waiters in tuxes but...Flanders Tours quit em a few years ago and use Prunellia now but I think it's beyond walking distance of town center... I don't know that, hearsay. Since I first visited in 98 Verdun has become a nicer town, the riverwalk is redone & quite nice.

DO go to the Alsatian restaurant. Christina Holstein knows the name, she is forum member, could email her.

Don't believe a word of it.  Maybe I do like a drink from time to time, but always in the pursuit of quality.  Anyways that Will O'Brien is one of those reformed smokers (and I hope he still is).  Nearly made it to Ypres next month so maybe you had a close escape Will.

:lol:

We've had this thread a few times now.

The Coq Hardi in the town centre is expensive. The St. Paul, in the town centre, has been entirely redecorated and was very pleasant last weekend - 46 euros for a room and breakfast. The Cloche d'or, which is next to it, is the same price. I haven't been at the Tigre for a few years and it was fairly shabby last time but definitely no bed bugs. Andy - you're the only person I've ever met who has stayed at the Hotel by the Gate - I thought it was too cheap to be true. The Prunellia is very good and, as Paul says, the breakfast buffet is wonderful (so is the evening buffet). The only time I stayed at the Orchidées, they didn't tidy my room or bathroom. I agree with Fred on the service at the Village Gaulois - it takes for ever if you eat there in the evening. There are other hotels in Verdun - a couple, for example, in the street that leads to the station (Av. Garibaldi, I think), but I've not tried them.

Remember also that if you want to park close to the hotel, you will have a problem unless you go to the Formula 1, Prunellia, Tigre or Orchidées. Parking in Verdun is paying from 9am - 7pm Monday - Saturday. You can only park on the Left Bank of the Meuse (that's the main town side) for two hours or less. That means that you can find yourself having to park on the other side of the river and walk 10 mins or so to a hotel with your luggage. That's not fun either.

Christina

Greetings Christina

A 10 minute walk to the Coq Hardi with my luggage !!!!!...I may have to leave my stuff in the car and only take my tooth brush to the hotel . It can't be as bad as being a " hairy one " and carrying that 80lb pack up to the Mort Homme though ...so I won't complain to much .

Phil.

Hello there Phil,

If you are going to the Coq Hardi you can park briefly on the quai just down from the hotel - there are about 5 parking places just by the old town gate. I think you can stay for 20 mins. That means that you can off-load your luggage before driving across the river to park in one of the free car parks. I should have made it clear that you have to pay to park on the Left Bank, which is the Coq Hardi side, but you don't pay on the Right Bank.

In fact the Coq Hardi has a garage (some distance from the hotel). I think it was 12 euros per night last year and in addition they only had about two swipe cards to it, so that you had to bring the card back to the hotel after getting the car out in the morning...that means it's round the town (one way system), park briefly on the quai, belt back into the hotel... and off the the battlefields.

Christina

At New Year there, I stayed in Formule1, which suited me fine. It's got secure parking, costs only 29-Euros/night/room, and conti.breakfast a reasonable 5-Euros. It's right next to a Buffalo Grill restaurant, and 10mins walk from all the big supermarkets/stores if you want to fill up with "supplies". lt's also easy to get to by car, as it's on a kind of ring road round the South, heading towards Metz.

Obviously, if you want more of a holiday, it's maybe a bit too sparse/basic, but if your main purpose of the visit is to spend as much time as possible in the field, by the time you return, exhausted, to base, you won't mind whether your room is formica or faux-chene........

Slainte, Alan

I have been umm'ing and ahh'ing over going to Verdun later this year and the Formula1 was where I was thinking of staying. Could someone who has stayed there let me know if it is within walking distance of the centre of Verdun as I would be interested in visting the Citadel etc.

thanks

Nick

Depends how much of a walker you are, but I'd say it was around 3kms to walk from the F1 to the Citadel. The Ave.de Metz is a main road, so you wouldn't be stuck for a bus, if it was wet or you didn't fancy the walk.

If you want an idea of layout of town, try the following map-link.......

http://www.viamichelin.com/viamichelin/gbr...controller/Maps

.......just type in "55100" to the postcode box, "verdun" to the city box, and obviously select "France" as country.

Pull the zoom slider down to "Area" scale.....map should re-scale, and the F1 is

located just about where the word "Metz" is on the D903.......

Hope that helps !

You'll have a great time if you go !

Slainte, Alan

Just back from another trip to Verdun. We stayed at La Cloche d'Or in the town centre, and this was an interesting experience. The rooms are less than basic, but the beds were great, the water was hot and the staff very helpful. Breakfast typical continental with great coffee. Large restaurant that we were unable to test but with some good looking menus. No English spoken (fair enough) and the hotel has its own car park (on the left bank). A good trip !

MC

VILLAGE GAULOIS

I am glad that Christina agreed with me on the service at Village Gaulois. By the way, 'Gaulois' refers to the comic strip characters of Asterix and Obelix, though Obelix would never have achieved his fully rounded figure, had he dines at this hotel. Allow me one example.

Imagine being seated in a kind of circus with imitation bearskins hanging at the doors. We were in first, so we were served first. After we had finished our main course, a Renoir-like girl, just the kind of girl from his painting 'Les Parasols', buxom but not bright, made her entrance like a circus artiste expecting a round of applause and when this was not forthcoming, she made her exit again, only to reappear after e few moments. Again no applause. She was wearing exactly the same long skirt as in Les Parasols. After receiving her oders from the owner/cook, she started her duties and took away our main course plates, to replace them with another pair of main course plates. She gave our neighbours a whole bottle instead of a half one and us the half bottle instead of the ordinary one.

During our dessert the room was full of French diners, miming impatience and throwing up their arms in despair. When would their food arrive? We wondered.

Fortunately the room was excellent.

All the best,

Fred

Thanks to all for their advice and recommendations. We have now booked into the Prunellia so we'll see how we go.

Thanks again

Peter