Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

looking for information on the No 1 Pilot Boat

larneman

I am looking for information on the No 1 Pilot Boat-"Alfred H. Read" (Liverpool) belonging to the Pilotage Authority sunk by a mine on 28th December 1917

Was everybody killed? Was this a large vessel? What was its function?

The following all working for the Lighthouse and Pilotage Authorities are remembered on the Towers Hill Memorial

ALFRED DAVIES Boat Hand

FRANK FOULKES Boat Hand

JOHN R GREEN Boat Hand

ERIC C HARRIES Boat Hand

JOSEPH HAWKINS Boat Hand

ALFRED H HIATT Boat Hand

JOHN T PRICE Boat Hand

CHARLES J PRIOR Boat Hand

ALFRED C WALLEY Cook

JAMES CAIN Donkeyman

JOHN COLLISTER Donkeyman

THOMAS H PUGHE Donkeyman

WILLIAM GEORGE CUBBIN First Engineer

FREDERICK ROGERS Master (Pilot 1st Class)

JOHN LEWIS Master (Pilot 1st Class)

ALBERT EDWARD ANKERS Pilot 1st Class

JAMES BIRCHALL Pilot 1st Class

JAMES F JONES Pilot 1st Class

FREDERICK WILLIAM TRENEMAN PENNEY Pilot 1st Class

HENRY RAWSON Pilot 1st Class

ROBERT TAGGART Pilot 1st Class

JAMES WOOKEY Pilot 1st Class

ROBERT J DURRANT Pilot 1st Class

ALFRED A M JONES Pilot 1st Class

ALFRED ALEXANDER MACDONALD KNOWLER Pilot 1st Class

BERT J LEVER Pilot 1st Class

HARRY M TIBBELLS Pilot 1st Class

JOHN FREDERICK JAMES CAMERON Pilot 2nd Class

NORMAN W CLIMO Pilot 2nd Class

JAMES HENRY CROSS Pilot 2nd Class

WILLIAM BRODIE Pilot 3rd Class

EDGAR STEPHEN FREEMAN Pilot 3rd Class

WILLIAM TURNER Second Engineer

greetings

LIAM

Liam,

Try this link;

Liverpool Pilots

"During the First World War, many pilots and apprentices answered "The Call to Arms" in the service of their country. For those who were left behind, a heavy responsibility rested with the pilots of the Port, for, as Liverpool was of great significance in receiving supplies for the war effort from the West, the enemy concentrated on laying mine fields in the Liverpool Bay with devastating effect to shipping in the area. Indeed the No 1 pilot boat, S.S. "Alfred H. Read" struck a mine at the Bar Station in late December 1917 and sank within minutes with all hands save two who were rescued."

a brief mention here too;

Liverpool

Another web page lists the Alfred H. Read as having been built in 1913.

Andy.

Thanks Andy and Michael.

Funny how the 2 pilot vessels were lost, one on the 31 December 1916

and the other on the 28 December 1917.

Liam

• 3 years later...

I've just come across this thread, via another forum, as I have been looking at the 31 names on the WW1 memorial board of the Liverpool Seamen's Orphanage.

Two of those named were Mersey Pilots, J.H.Dean, Pilot 3rd Class, and A.M.M. Knowler, Pilot 1st Class, who were both lost when the pilot vessel Alfred H. Readwas sunk by a mine at the Mersey Bar on 28 December 1917.

Daggers

• 1 year later...
Guest shirley firth
I am looking for information on the No 1 Pilot Boat-"Alfred H. Read" (Liverpool) belonging to the Pilotage Authority sunk by a mine on 28th December 1917

The following all working for the Lighthouse and Pilotage Authorities are remembered on the Towers Hill Memorial

ALFRED DAVIES Boat Hand

FRANK FOULKES Boat Hand

JOHN R GREEN Boat Hand

ERIC C HARRIES Boat Hand

JOSEPH HAWKINS Boat Hand

ALFRED H HIATT Boat Hand

JOHN T PRICE Boat Hand

ALFRED C WALLEY Cook

JAMES CAIN Donkeyman

JOHN COLLISTER Donkeyman

THOMAS H PUGHE Donkeyman

WILLIAM GEORGE CUBBIN First Engineer

FREDERICK ROGERS Master (Pilot 1st Class)

JOHN LEWIS Master (Pilot 1st Class)

ALBERT EDWARD ANKERS Pilot 1st Class

JAMES BIRCHALL Pilot 1st Class

JAMES F JONES Pilot 1st Class

FREDERICK WILLIAM TRENEMAN PENNEY Pilot 1st Class

HENRY RAWSON Pilot 1st Class

ROBERT TAGGART Pilot 1st Class

JAMES WOOKEY Pilot 1st Class

ROBERT J DURRANT Pilot 1st Class

ALFRED A M JONES Pilot 1st Class

ALFRED ALEXANDER MACDONALD KNOWLER Pilot 1st Class

BERT J LEVER Pilot 1st Class

HARRY M TIBBELLS Pilot 1st Class

JOHN FREDERICK JAMES CAMERON Pilot 2nd Class

NORMAN W CLIMO Pilot 2nd Class

JAMES HENRY CROSS Pilot 2nd Class

WILLIAM BRODIE Pilot 3rd Class

EDGAR STEPHEN FREEMAN Pilot 3rd Class

WILLIAM TURNER Second Engineer

greetings

LIAM

Hello

Family stories tell of my Gran's brother (John Wade) being killed when the pilt boat he was on sank in Liverpool docks after being hit by a torpedo / bomb. I have tried, without success, to find any information on John, his boat or whether the family story is in fact true. I have a photo of him and my gran, taken 18 Sept 1916, which was apparently the last time Gran saw him before he was killed. On the back of the photo is John's ship address, and although I can read most of it, one word is illegible. The address is J. Wade, Snr telegraphist, HMXV No. 1, c/o Pilot ??????, Liverpool.

Liam, I note you refer to No. 1 Pilot, but can't see John's name on your list, so I am presuming HMXV isn't the same thing.

Another photograph has the following address on the rear - again I can't decipher all the words:- J Wade, wireless Telegraphist, HMXV No. 3 Ferry Defences, c/o River Police ???, Landing ???

Does anyone recognise the addresses who could advise me where I can find further information and, perhaps, a ships list of who was on board, how, when and if the boat sank etc. etc? I am desperate to find something about John; he is the one who set me on my quest to draw up my family tree, and is the hardest one to trace!

Many thanks

Shirley

Shirley,

please see this thread also:

A memorial to the crew of the Alfred H Read is in the foyer of the Mersey Docks & Harbour Company's building at Pier Head, Liverpool, and if your man was an employee of theirs he might be commemorated in the same building?

Try going onto the MD&H Company website and ask Liverpool Pilotage Service info(at)liverpoolpilots.com for assistance (the @ is amended in the address to deter spammers!).

LST_164

Hello

Family stories tell of my Gran's brother (John Wade) being killed when the pilt boat he was on sank in Liverpool docks after being hit by a torpedo / bomb. I have tried, without success, to find any information on John, his boat or whether the family story is in fact true. I have a photo of him and my gran, taken 18 Sept 1916, which was apparently the last time Gran saw him before he was killed. On the back of the photo is John's ship address, and although I can read most of it, one word is illegible. The address is J. Wade, Snr telegraphist, HMXV No. 1, c/o Pilot ??????, Liverpool.

Many thanks

Shirley

Shirley - Welcome to the forum.

This is the only casualty named Wade I can find that fits some of your search criteria:

WADE Jack (27) Warrent Telegraphist RNR H.M. Trawler Star of Freedom

Son of William Ward Wade and Lucy Ellen Wade, of 19, Ballbrook Avenue, Didsbury, Manchester.

CWGC Link

H.M. Trawler Star of Freedom was sunk by a mine off Trevose Head, Cornwall 19/04/1917

He was one of ten men who died in the incident, and nine survivors were picked up by H.M. Trawler Cyrano

Cheers, Terry

Guest shirley firth

Terry

Thanks for your prompt response.

Sadly, the Jack Wade you have found is not mine, so perhaps this is where my trail gets a little cool and, the family stories of him aren't correct. I shall keep searching other avenues, but am grateful for your help.

If anyone else knows what the address on the back of my photos is, perhaps that would warm my searches up a little and give me another avenue to go down.

Kind regards

Shirley

• 2 months later...

ALFRED DAVIES Boat Hand

FRANK FOULKES Boat Hand

JOHN R GREEN Boat Hand

ERIC C HARRIES Boat Hand

JOSEPH HAWKINS Boat Hand

ALFRED H HIATT Boat Hand

JOHN T PRICE Boat Hand

ALFRED C WALLEY Cook

<SNIP>

Liam,

Not a huge amount to add. I gather that there is a model of the Alfred H. Read in Wallasey Town Hall; I will see if I can dig out the photo. Charlie Prior (aged 17, I think, at the time of his death) is my great uncle (brother of my maternal grandmother) and was the only WW1 fatality (or serious injury, I understand) amongst all of my grandparents and their siblings of whom ten were on active service. It is somewhat ironic that this should be with in a few miles of home in Wallasey. I understood from my grandmother that a 'boathand' was effectively an apprentice pilot or at least a hand who had joined the pilotage with a view to eventually being trained.

I don't think he had any entitlement to either plaque or medals as he was not actually part of the Merchant Marine. I would be interested if anyone can shed any more definite light on this. His name is on the CWGC Debt of Honour Register as he is on the Tower Hill Memorial as mentioned.

Ian

• 1 year later...

Toxteth Park Cemetery

Thank you for the photo. Only just seen

Ian

I recently discovered an "In Memoriam" gravestone at Llaneugrad Churchyard, Anglesey, to Master (Pilot 1st Class) John Lewis of the Alfred H.Read. He was born at Llaneugrad in about 1859 and it states he served 40 years as a Liverpool Pilot, achieving his Master's ticket in 1889. Died aged 58.

The stone (which is in Welsh) also mentions his wife Elizabeth (d.1932 aged 70), and a 4-year old daughter Eluned who d.1906. The family residence up to the time of his death is given as 54 Arnold Street, Liverpool (different in CWGC).

He is also mentioned on the local war memorial at Marianglas, effectively under the Merchant Navy heading.

Clive

• 2 years later...
  • 7 months later...

I have located an obituary for Jack Wade and I can confirm that he was lost on the Alfred H Read 28th December 1917

Liverpool Echo 31st-Dec-1917

WADE-December 28 Killed on one of H.M. Patrol Ships, Jack-Deeply missed by all friends in Liverpool-Sadly missed by Nancy.

Curiously, Wade is not mentioned on either of the Alfred H.Read panels on the Tower Hill Memorial (there are separate ones for Pilots and Crew). This suggests he was either Navy (RNVR etc. - but not traced in CWGC) or classed as a civilian. The latter category included casualties who were normally part of a crew but not technically aboard on duty at the time of death. Eg., in the sinking of the Leinster in 1918 two Holyhead men - a steward and an electrical engineer - who were employees of the packet company who operated the ship were not officially commemorated with their workmates because they were simply travelling aboard her, and so not classed as crew.

If he was a civilian telegraphist not classed as employed crew, he would fall between the cracks of the official commemoration process, even though his death was due to enemy action.

Clive

Curiously, Wade is not mentioned on either of the Alfred H.Read panels on the Tower Hill Memorial (there are separate ones for Pilots and Crew). This suggests he was either Navy (RNVR etc. - but not traced in CWGC) or classed as a civilian. The latter category included casualties who were normally part of a crew but not technically aboard on duty at the time of death. Eg., in the sinking of the Leinster in 1918 two Holyhead men - a steward and an electrical engineer - who were employees of the packet company who operated the ship were not officially commemorated with their workmates because they were simply travelling aboard her, and so not classed as crew.

If he was a civilian telegraphist not classed as employed crew, he would fall between the cracks of the official commemoration process, even though his death was due to enemy action.

Clive

Hi Clive Jack Wade is recorded in BT334 Deaths at sea available on PMP as having perished on the Alfred H Read. I have put his name forward along with another fatality called Pilot Edgar Howard Lewis as possible Non-commemorations. Will keep you updated.

• 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A late addition to this topic as I do not think it has been mentioned before:

Liverpool's Anglican Cathedral has a large and impressive Roll of Honour book on display, containing thousands of names of those from 'Liverpool and District',including the Wirral, classified by regiment and ship. One page is devoted to the men of the Alfred H. Read.

D

• 1 year later...

Centenary Memorial Service for the Alfred H Read No 1 Liverpool Pilot Boat at St James New Brighton organised by the Liverpool Pilot Service (Retired Division)

Centenary Remembrance Service

St James’ Church, Albion Street, New Brighton

28th December 2017   3 pm

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/04/2010 at 18:47, Ian Riley said:

. Charlie Prior (aged 17, I think, at the time of his death) is my great uncle (brother of my maternal grandmother) and was the only WW1 fatality (or serious injury, I understand) amongst all of my grandparents and their siblings of whom ten were on active service. It is somewhat ironic that this should be with in a few miles of home in Wallasey. I understood from my grandmother that a 'boathand' was effectively an apprentice pilot or at least a hand who had joined the pilotage with a view to eventually being trained.

I don't think he had any entitlement to either plaque or medals as he was not actually part of the Merchant Marine. I would be interested if anyone can shed any more definite light on this. His name is on the CWGC Debt of Honour Register as he is on the Tower Hill Memorial as mentioned.

Ian

Charles Prior was in fact 19 at the time of his death on the mining of the Alfred H Read and I have established that he was entitled to the British War Medal and the Mercantile Marine Medal which were issued to his father (my great grandfather) in 1922. Remembered today on the centenary of his death with forty others at St James's, New Brighton

The memorial in the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board building on Liverpool's Pier Head lists only those casualties actually directly employed by the (then) Mersey Docks and Harbour Company

MDHC Memorial 1st W War  (4).JPG

Edited by Ian Riley

Wow! Thank you! Where did the photo come from, please? We have no confirmed photo in the family archives, only a possible which might otherwise have been his brother, Clifford, who survived the war as a Merchant Navy officer

Edited by Ian Riley
Getting what I wrote to make sense.