Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

MEDALS ARE COMING HOME....THANKS TO ANCESTRY!

The Inspector

Hi All

A couple of days ago I was researching my wife's side of our tree on Ancestry when I looked at a Marriage Cert. from 1915 and saw that her great aunt's husband was in the RAMC when he was married, his service number clearly stated on the certificate.

I did a MIC search and was amazed to see a message in the top right of the screen from a collector. He stated that he had the BW/VIC medals in his collection having put the message on line four years previously.

I sent him a PM and we are now in the process of doing a like for like swap with a pair of RAMC medals I have.

Only this week one of our Pals asked how he could find a family to re-unite a SWB...he has now put a message on the SWB screen on Ancestry.

As I had never come across this before I wonder if anyone else on the Forum considers this to be a worthwhile way to spread the word and re-unite medals which otherwise just sit in a collection with no sentimental value whatsoever.

Look forward to any comments.

Regards Barry

Congratulations on your "find". I had no idea that it was possible. I think it's another avenue for people on the hunt and shall do now.

I have, on several occasions, contacted the owners of family trees directly using the "find others who are researching" box and informed them of pictures, tags or medals relating to their ancestors in my possession.

I take it this is on the 'View Record' screen rather than the 'View Image'. The former has the facility to add a message. I have to say I've always gone straight to the image of the MIC so I will always have missed this feature, if ever anyone had left a message.

Very interesting. I shall go back through the MIC records that interest me. As you found out, one never knows.

I wasn't aware of this either and I've just added a note to the medal index card record of one of our local men, saying that we have his medals and a photograph of him in WW1 Army uniform, in our archive.
Thanks for the heads up.

Hi All

If you want to see how it works on Ancestry then search the MIC Index for Harry Ormshaw, Pte.70796 RAMC, 54416 Lancs.Fusiliers and 38412 Kings Own Royal Lancaster. Look at the View Record screen and you will see the messages in the top right corner.

Once again I can't thank Mick enough for putting the message there 4 yrs ago but being so prompt in responding to my PM to him.

Have spoken to the Mods (Keith) regarding spreading the word and he is going to speak to his colleagues, he wasn't aware of the facility...how many more pals don't know either?

It will work both ways for collectors via the MICs and all other search facilities and for searchers looking for their relatives' medals.

WHY NOT GIVE IT A TRY?

Regards Barry

I love that Story, :thumbsup:

I had a set of medals from my home town and the next of kin lived in Australia...... I was happy to sort something out with them.

Wish I had some medals to practice with! ;)

In the medals sought section of the forum I've posted a message about trying to find three lots of family medals from WW1. A PM from Barry, The Inspector, pointed me towards this post. Many thanks for that and I'll be heading for the Ancestry website.

Trev

I did a MIC search and was amazed to see a message in the top right of the screen from a collector. He stated that he had the BW/VIC medals in his collection having put the message on line four years previously.

I sent him a PM and we are now in the process of doing a like for like swap with a pair of RAMC medals I have.

Barry,

A wonderful result for you !

Regards,

LF

That's great suggestion Barry, I will try this out

(Edited for typo)

Justin H

I have been onto my POW's and MM winners and added those details ( no mention of medal ownership). If it generates communication we will see where that takes us, if nothing else, it helps research.

Ste

great idea i will start adding details on Ancestory tomprrow

thanks for the info

Hi davidda16 and All

Hope it works for you as well as it did for me.

A number of pals have been in contact who aren't on Ancestry but would use the facility if they were, so the more we can spread the word the easier it will be to search.

Regards Barry

Hi Barry,

Well done on getting some results and for the heads-up.

Always great when others come out to help with family items.

Perhaps I will we lucky here on the GWF with Neale items but I will have a look at that site as well.

Well done again :)

Cheers,

Chris.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I have left a message, also found out entitled a swb

I have left a message, also found out entitled a swb

fingers crossed, will see if I can get some reunites this way

cheers