Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Robert Blake Harward 1rst Btn, 73rd Carnatic Infantry medals?

researchingreg

I have the WW1 Medal Card for this officer, but as he served in India during WW1, does this mean he has no war medal? He was in the Indian Army from 1910 to 1939, retiring as a Lt Col.

He seems to have this service number 136528 during WW2, when he voluntarily reverted to the Rank of Major in 1940 (after retirement?) during hostilities

post-98977-0-94394400-1444826010_thumb.j

No, this officer received the British War and Victory medals, but as you say he never left India it must have been on one of the various campaigns inside the borders of India, such as that againist the Marri in 1917. His unit was the 73rd Carnatic Infantry.

Now I have just taken a look at the war services supplement to the 1924 Indian Army List and he has a statement which is a bit intriguing:

"The war of 1914-21 - S. S. " Islanda", 4 - 12 Oct 16. Operations in the Asiatic theater, 13 Oct 16 to 6 Sept 17. Despatches, London Gaz, 11 June 1920. OBE. Waziristan 1921."

I don't know what was significant about the ship. She was wrecked in a storm at Delia Mara Point, Malta, on December 10th, 1917. She was on a voyage in ballast from Syracuse to Malta. She was owned by the British India Steam Navigation Company, which might be a clue.

His mention in despatches of 11 June 1920 is for 'valuable services in India in connection with the war' as a Captain serving with the 2/113th Infantry.

He later joined the 8th Punjab Regiment, was promoted Lt-Col 1/10/1935 and appointed to command the 4th battalion 1935-1938.

I hope that helps.

Matthew

Matthew

Thanks for the information. I am trying to follow up all the military activities of family members. Its been a great help. I'll have to look up the 8th Punjab Regiment.

Geoff

Small it of extra Info - he did not join the 4th battalion 8th Punjab regiment until about 1934.

Before that he was serving with 2nd battalion, 5th Mahratta Light Infantry - when exactly he joined them I am not sure but he was appointed a Company Commander with the 2/5 MLI 26 June 1930, promoted second in command, 2nd March 1933 and then attached I think in 1934 as acting commandant of 4th battalion 8th Punjab regiment then appointed its commander as I said before.

Matthew

Update - I now find he was appointed a Company Commander with the 1st battalion, 5th Mahratta Light Infantry as of 29 Oct 1924, then later went to 2/5th MLI as above.

In 1923 he was serving with 3rd battalion, 5th Mahratta Light Infantry.

Update again

I have now found that by July 1921 he had transferred to 110th Mahratta Light Infantry, which in 1922 became 3rd battalion, 5th Mahratta Light Infantry which fits with above.