Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

felicity.cleaves

sJane

This link should do it:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=officers+university+technical

Apologies, It should have been Officers University and Technical Classes, although the committee is relevant of course.

TR

Brilliant stuff Terry, well done. I had a gut feeling there would be more on this, just that difficult matter of digging it out. I am sure that the OUTC had many on its books in need of help.

sJane

This link should do it:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=officers+university+technical

Apologies, It should have been Officers University and Technical Classes, although the committee is relevant of course.

TR

Brilliant, thanks Terry.

Filtering in the relevant dates and restricting it to Kew holdings produces an even closer match. But of course nothing has been digitised, and now my curiosity-itch is well and truly awake ...

sJ

Other organisations came into being such as The Officers' Association which provided support for finding employment, loans to start small businesses and charitable support. It still exists today. If memory serves me correctly it came about because it was eventually realised that there were a large number of ex-officers and with little support for them because in the past the class that provided the majority of officers did not need wide spread charitable help. In addition there were other organisations such as the Regular Forces Employment Association founded 1885 and no doubt others but not enough for what was needed.

Other organisations came into being such as The Officers' Association which provided support for finding employment, loans to start small businesses and charitable support. It still exists today. If memory serves me correctly it came about because it was eventually realised that there were a large number of ex-officers and with little support for them because in the past the class that provided the majority of officers did not need wide spread charitable help. In addition there were other organisations such as the Regular Forces Employment Association founded 1885 and no doubt others but not enough for what was needed.

The OA and RFEA merged around 10-years ago.

The OA and RFEA merged around 10-years ago.

What name have they since the merger, Frogsmile?

What name have they since the merger, Frogsmile?

Apologies Jane (and to all readers) I mixed things up with the Officers Pension Society, which had re-titled to become the Forces Pension Society, in support of all ranks.

The Officers' Association and Regular Forces Employment Association continue unchanged.

HI,

Was at NA yesterday and checked out the material on OUTC and will put together some notes on my findings as soon as I can but may not be for a few days. There was a lot of memoranda and letters and I didn't wade through all of it as I would have been there for a very long time but think I have made a good start on what it was about.

Sorry seaJane I didn't acknowledge your message - has been a busy couple of weeks.

Felicity

HI,

Was at NA yesterday and checked out the material on OUTC and will put together some notes on my findings as soon as I can but may not be for a few days. There was a lot of memoranda and letters and I didn't wade through all of it as I would have been there for a very long time but think I have made a good start on what it was about.

Sorry seaJane I didn't acknowledge your message - has been a busy couple of weeks.

Felicity

It will be interesting to learn what you have found Felicity.

At the time this letter was written, there were no UOTCs. There were UTCs and OTCs. This POI is meant to help and simplify things, honest!

At the time this letter was written, there were no UOTCs. There were UTCs and OTCs. This POI is meant to help and simplify things, honest!

Um. Numerous references to OUOTC and CUOTC in The Times of 1918 would seem to suggest otherwise...

HI,

Felicity

Not to worry, Felicity - I know the feeling! Good on you for slogging through TNA material ...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Here is a summary of my researches so far on the Officers' University and Technical Classes (O.U.T.C.)

which includes some links to historical material.

Hope it is reasonably clear and adds to the picture.

Felicity

Origins.docx

I missed this when it arrived, for some reason - thank you!

I missed this when it arrived, for some reason - thank you!

No problem - hope it was of some interest. I was away last week so only just catching up now