Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reichackerkopf, 19th February 1915. One hundred years.

Dragon

One hundred years ago on the 19th February 1915, German troops launched their offensive on the mountain of Reichackerkopf*. It has a vitally important position because control of the summit gives control of the two prongs of the vallée de Munster, one the vallée de la Fecht to the Petit Ballon and Markstein via Metzeral, and the other to the pass of Col de la Schlucht. This postcard illustrates:

post-16-0-93111200-1424276142_thumb.jpg

The Germans took possession of Reichackerkopf and over the next couple of days they repelled French attacks. The fighting was intense, particularly challenging as the Chasseurs were used to mountain conditions and some of the Germans were not. They were fighting in forests and dense vegetation, had to make some guesses at each other's defences, use of artillery was difficult or impossible because of the terrain and the proximity of the two forces, and there wasn't a lot of suitable room for establishing positions. The Germans held the mountain. Within a few days the German troops were exhausted and the French had to pull back their units to defend the villages in the valley to the east. Attack and counter attack continued until late March, when the two sides dug in and stayed put. The failure to take Reichackerkopf was a setback for the French and they tried again from positions near Metzeral in June.

Rather than repeat material already on the forum, I invite those interested to visit my thread here: Walking Reichackerkopf

Gwyn

*Spelling varies between Reickackerkopf, Reichsackerkopf and even just Reichacker.

In the map postcard you can see Ampfersbach (right hand valley). I have a postcard sent by a French soldier who traced in faint pencil the line of his trenches. Obviously the photograph is pre-War, but it's taken from the slopes not far from Reichackerkopf on the hillside where he says the Germans were. The cross marks where he was guarding trenches from behind the cemetery wall and he has pencilled in the significant points: where he slept in a cellar, where the aid post was.

I have edited the image of the card by over-tracing his pencilled trench lines. Perhaps it will give a flavour of the sort of terrain at valley level and an insight into the life of a French soldier.

post-16-0-28288900-1424279348_thumb.jpg

Gwyn

Gwyn, excellent post. The idea of sending a postcard showing where the trenches are is amazing. Less wish you were here. more wish I wasn't

Pete.

Thanks, Pete. Yes, indeed. What isn't obvious is that there is a steep tram line which goes from Munster through Ampfersbach up the mountainside to Col de la Schlucht. This is shown in black on the birds-eye picture; the road (white line) veers off through Soultzeren [sultzern]* and wiggles up the mountain to Schlucht at 1139m. (The building near the top is the Hotel Altenberg which was at one point occupied by the French: it had superb views and was an excellent vantage point. Sadly it was ruined by war.)

This part of the Vosges has many tram lines which were extremely useful for transport of military equipment, personnel and so on. For example (1912 postcard):

post-16-0-97977200-1424348865_thumb.jpg

It's still possible to trace the tram route.

(*Place names are in German because Alsace was German at that time.)

Gwyn

Ampfersbach valley now. Altenberg in cloud, right. Reichackerkopf and Sattelkopf behind me to the left.

post-16-0-79177600-1424310507_thumb.jpg

At least 4500 French men and 4000 German men died on this small mountain. These cards are from a set published after the war.

post-16-0-28119900-1424338603_thumb.jpg

post-16-0-08515600-1424338489_thumb.jpg

Summer afternoon storm over Reichackerkopf (2014). Thunder, torrential rain.

post-16-0-09531600-1424338878_thumb.jpg

A few hours later, clear skies and a cold night.

post-16-0-29159000-1424339089_thumb.jpg

My photos.

Beautiful photos, Gwyn. Thanks for posting the postcard images, which help remind us that the slag-heaps of the Loos battlefield weren't the only hills fought over in 1915 !

Right great almost professional photos by Gwyn!

........ which help remind us that the slag-heaps of the Loos battlefield weren't the only hills fought over in 1915 !

Yes Steve, the Vosges battlegrounds, but who cares here on this forum where the Great War generally stops short of Chemin de Dames..... :whistle:

Beautiful photos, Gwyn. Thanks for posting the postcard images,

Thank you very much Steve and Egbert.

Yes Steve, the Vosges battlegrounds, but who cares here on this forum where the Great War generally stops short of Chemin de Dames..... :whistle:

Well, Egbert, unless you and I bother, it seems as if the one hundred year anniversaries of these important battles in the Vosges will pass entirely unnoticed by the Great War forum.

There are several more to come from 1915.

Gwyn

No it doesn't !

Thank you for sharing your magnificent photos and thread about the Vosges. Please continue !

I get to the the Vosges next week, looking forward to it.

Sly

My climb to the "tête des Faux" last year

faux1.jpg

It must have been very atmospheric in the snow. Thanks for sharing your photo.

When we walked up la Tête des Faux from that side ( from Col du Calvaire past Cimetière Duchesne), we stopped and looked at that monument. Then we noticed the date of the men's deaths: 6th July 1916. And then we realised our day's date: 6th July 2006. Ninety years. That was a strange feeling.

I have also walked up la Tête des Faux from l'Étang du Devin. La Tête des Faux is one of the most amazing places I have visited in the Vosges.

Gwyn

• 4 months later...

Well, Egbert, unless you and I bother, it seems as if the one hundred year anniversaries of these important battles in the Vosges will pass entirely unnoticed by the Great War forum.

There are several more to come from 1915.

Gwyn

Indeed Gwyn.

Here is a marvel and most remarkable video from the 15 July 1915 bombardment of the Reichsacker. As seen from the French side:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWKpBFf5Xz0&feature=youtu.be

Absolutely remarkable. Thank you.

Where is the HQ building to which the German officers are taken?

From the appearance of the town, I am wondering whether the 800 prisoners are being marched through St-Dié?

Has the film been uploaded on to YouTube by someone you know? It's very recent.

Gwyn

A summer view of Reichackerkopf last year, now one hundred years on.

p1197169253-3.jpg

Gwyn