Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New-UK, Army Registers of Soldiers' Effects, 1901-1929

Skipman

PS fantastic resource, dates of enlistment etc etc etc. Many thanks Mike for the heads up, appreciate it.

Graeme

Sorry if I'm being dim but I've looked at 10 records and cant for the life of me see the enlistment date, can you point me to it please

Thanks

Hi Mike

thanks for the link, already found my step-grandfather and his brother.

Oddly if I try to go through Ancestry.com.au, I cant find that list, but clinking on the link brings me to it, logged on!!??

regards

Robert

What annoys me is their search doesn't search all their records, too often you have to go to the individual record sets to search.

Craig

Great link, thanks very much Mike. A quick look turned up different Gratuities for two men I'm interested in who died in 1915 (£5 in one case, £4 in the other) - I assume this reflects the difference in the length of their service, but would it also be differentiated by the type of service?. In this case one was a Regular with 4 years' service at his death and the other had been a Territorial for three years.

Cheers, Pat

Found a couple of people I was looking for, but unfortunately couldn't find great uncle Robert Finlayson, no matter what combinations of name/number etc.I try.

Great resource though.

Hazel

Great link, thanks very much Mike. A quick look turned up different Gratuities for two men I'm interested in who died in 1915 (£5 in one case, £4 in the other) - I assume this reflects the difference in the length of their service, but would it also be differentiated by the type of service?. In this case one was a Regular with 4 years' service at his death and the other had been a Territorial for three years.

Cheers, Pat

Yes Pat, I think once I get the hang of it, there's information, that is not immediately obvious.

Tony, it's just pot luck I think, a few have enlistment dates, most not?

Mike

Great news - have found my great uncle listed!

However i'm having difficulty deciphering the document - is there a guide to interpreting these anywhere? Can't find anything on the LLT.

I found an entry for a relative. All I need now is

A guide to reading the record

How gratuities were arrived at

Why my man was granted 2 x gratuities

what the supplement was for.

Any ideas would be welcomed.

The following is a link from a National Army Museum's webpage from 2012, about these records which also include WW2 (the latter not digitised)

http://www.nam.ac.uk/collection/collection-news/soldiers-effects-records-1901-60

It includes two images from WW1, one showing the register book, Unfortunately this is too small for me to read, but if anyone is able to enlarge it, perhaps the column headings in the register may give a clue

Cheers

Maureen

The headings are shown. It is the red stamped info I need help on and if the gratuities were standard or awarded with discretion.

Better to search for a soldier individually, as Craig says, the search does not catch them all; search by number, variation of name, and by regiment ec

It may be obvious, ut why do some soldiers have these records and some not?

Mike

Hi

I would add a word of caution in that I have noticed that the dates cited on the documents do not always tally up with 'official' documents,

Regards,

Graeme

If a soldier died and his service record was one of those destroyed during WW2, and he did not serve abroad so no medal index card was produced, his Soldiers' Effects record could be the first official document you find which actually proves he served.

Thanks for the link Craig.

After looking at it ,it seems the minimum payment for a Private was £5.0.00?

After going through several sheets there are a lot of entries for infantary men of £3.0.00.

Now leaves me with more questions!

Thanks for the link Craig.

After looking at it ,it seems the minimum payment for a Private was £5.0.00?

After going through several sheets there are a lot of entries for infantary men of £3.0.00.

Now leaves me with more questions!

Is the amount shown to be paid out after deductions owing to the army?

Craig

I'll have good look but it appears not. The first entry for each man seems to show an amount of undrawn pay and the next column headed charges has the same amount and is shown as paid to NOK.

I discovered something weird. If you save these records to someone in your tree, you can't find them again when you search, unless you click on the "saved to your tree".I'm not losing it - honest!

Hazel

I discovered something weird. If you save these records to someone in your tree, you can't find them again when you search, unless you click on the "saved to your tree".I'm not losing it - honest!

Hazel

Hazel,

Ancestry are doing that with a number of their records now. I started noticing it just before Christmas.

Mark

Yes Pat, I think once I get the hang of it, there's information, that is not immediately obvious.

Thanks again, Mike, that's very helpful.

Cheers, Pat

I'll have good look but it appears not. The first entry for each man seems to show an amount of undrawn pay and the next column headed charges has the same amount and is shown as paid to NOK.

I'm pretty certain the rates must have changed at some point:

308 Sgt Venn - pre war T.F.. Killed 26 April 1915

War Gratuity £6.00

664 Cpl Ackerman - pre war T.F.. Killed 26 April 1915

War Gratuity £4.00

Craig

I'm pretty certain the rates must have changed at some point:

308 Sgt Venn - pre war T.F.. Killed 26 April 1915

War Gratuity £6.00

664 Cpl Ackerman - pre war T.F.. Killed 26 April 1915

War Gratuity £4.00

Craig

The link you gave was dated 1942, perhaps they thought that nok would not see the rates?!!

The link you gave was dated 1942, perhaps they thought that nok would not see the rates?!!

You cynic :whistle: .

A couple of the Privates I've looked at so far for 26/4/1915 got £3.00.

Craig

It is a pity that enlistment dates are not shown. I know my relative was in France for aprox 13 months before he was KIA. If he did the minimum training of 8 weeks that would give him a time served as aprox 15 months. His mother received a gratuity of £3.00.0 plus another unexplained payment of £4.10.00

The £3. equates to 60 days pay at 1s per day.