Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

ID B.W.M

zephyr4

I picked up a BWM today the suspender is missing and has been partly erased but the serial number is readable, can anyone put a name too

this serial number S-28130.

Thanks for any help z4.

Have you tried CWGC to see if he survived?

You could try looking for Medal Index Card on Ancestry [FREE] using just the service number.

Also William C Ross - Seaforth Highlanders?

Mike

Spot on Mike, I got a better eye glass out and I could just read the two end letters of the name SS any idea where this man came from.

z4

Not having much luck matching numbers. I suggest you start a new thread with the name/number & 7th Battalion SH to attract the Seaforth experts.. The Medal Index Card indicates no date of entry before Jan 1916 - and the numbers I think suggest a 1918 enlistment, but I may well be wrong there...

Mike

In the absence of his service records (most probably destroyed in the Blitz) I've been looking at Seaforth service numbers close to his to see if I can find at least a likelihood or good guess of where and when he enlisted.

The 7th Battalion is on his Seaforth Medal & Awards Roll on Ancestry. Here are details from The Long, Long Trail:

7th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Fort George in August 1914 as part of K1 and came under command of 26th Brigade in 9th (Scottish) Division.
Moved to Aldershot and in January 1915 went into billets in Alton. Moved on to Bordon in March 1915.
Landed at Boulogne in mid May 1915.

Mike