Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Anthony Tolan/Toland, Royal Scots Fusiliers

P. J. Clarke

What do you already have? Nothing worse than posting info then being told "got that". Have you checked Ancestry?

Sam

Medal Index Roll Card records that he was Private 9590 of the 2nd Bn. RSF.

Killed 31st Oct 1914.

Commonwealth War Graves Commission has him aged 25 at the time of death and that his mother was Anne Tolan of Knockleaugh (Knockalough or Knockleigh?) Cottage, Ballina, County Mayo. Recorded on the Ypres (Menim Gate) Memorial.

Don't know whether the same Anthony Tolan but there also appears to have been a Private Anthony Tolan serving with the 1st Bn. RSF in South Africa in 1911 and who came from Ballina, County Mayo. He was apparently stationed at Robert Heights in the Transvaal.

Maybe someone on the forums with knowledge of service numbers could assist but if he was 9590, would this not be an indicator that he joined around late 1907?

I personally have an ancestor who first served in the 1st Bn. RSF and later on in the 2nd Bn. RSF and who had a service number not that far distant and he joined in 1908 and saw service in South Africa and Burma/India prior to WW1.

These may also be of interest:-

http://ballinagreatwar.blogspot.hk/2014/11/names-throughout-pages-b-etween-years.html

http://www.irishwarmemorials.ie/Persons?regId=113

Edited by Ron Abbott

Hi Sam: Looked for his Service Records but to no avail. Have his Medal Index Card. To my other reply, Ron: This is interesting that he joined in 1907 and would like to know more of that info. Anthony is unusual as he was the brother of Michael Tolan who was partially crippled in the feet and was an information officer in Sinn Fein in the 1920s. He suffered terribly at the hands of the Black and Tans and his body was found in a bog a few miles from his home. Normally people who were against the occupying forces, were left alone, especially if a member of that household died in the war. There is a street named after this Michael called Tolan Street. I don't mean to cause offence by the above information but Anthony will be remembered on the soon-to-be erected monument here in Ballina and it would be great to have some information on him as the remaining members of Michael and Anthony's family have none. Cheers to all viewers and repliers over the festive season, and thanks to all.

Is that the Michael Tolan who served in the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders and subsequently the Labour Corps....or was it another Michael Tolan?

Was he crippled in the feet during WW1 or in Ireland thereafter?

I don't know that Anthony Tolan 9590 of 2 RSF is the same as the Anthony Tolan who served in S Africa with 1 RSF in 1911.

It's mere speculation.

Likewise with dating the service number. I am sure that somebody on the forum could more precisely tie down when Anthony Tolin (RSF service number 9590) first joined up, however based on other RSF soldiers with close numbers to that one, I think it may have been in late 1907 or early 1908. Hopefully someone can confirm or otherwise.

The Anthony Tolan who served with 1 RSF in S Africa is recorded in the 1911 England census as serving in 1 RSF at the time, having been 24 years of age and born in County Mayo 'about 1887'.

However Anthony Tolan appears to have been the name of a number of men from County Mayo around the same time.

There also appears to have been a family or families surnamed Tolan who moved from County Mayo to Lancashire prior to WW1 and again, the name Anthony Tolan surfaces.

I note that other soldiers surnamed Tolin/Tolland (or similar) and who came from Ireland served in a variety of 'Irish regiments'.

I'd be interested in knowing what the connection with the RSF and/or Argylls was??

The two regular battalions of the Royal Scots Fusiliers (1st and 2nd) were very cosmopolitan, and the Home Battalion, (and later the 3rd battalion when it took over responsibility for recruiting) used to recruit throughout the British Isles; at least two-fifths of the men were English or Irish. So no surprise that a Mayo man should be serving with them.

1st Battalion were in India from 1899 to 1910, then at Roberts Heights (South Africa) from 1910 until early 1914, and sick men were frequently being sent back to Britain. Smetimes after recovery they were posted to the Home Battalion, the 2nd Battalion (1907-1911 Dublin and Londonderry, 1911-early 1914 Gosport), rather than being sent back overseas to rejoin the 1st. So again, it was quite normal for a man to join 1st Battalion in perhaps 1907, and then reappear in the 2nd Battalion some time later.

[The 2nd Royal Scots Fusiliers were virtually wiped out in the 1st Battle of Ypres; by early November 1914 there were just 2 officers and 30 other ranks who had not been casualties.]

William

In answer to Michael's cloven feet: he was born with that ailment. Anthony was born in 1887 according to the 1901 Irish census but had left by the 1911 one.

Based on the website details kindly provided by roughdiamond, it would appear that Anthony Tolan 9590 did join the RSF in late 1907/early 1908 and was likely the man of the same name who served in 1 RSF and then was later transferred to 2 RSF.

My own (RSF) ancestor's situation was very similar (he died of his wounds in 1915).

• 6 years later...

3 x Pension cards at WFA/Fold3

Anthony TOLAN, 9590, 2nd Bn., RSF

Mother: Mrs. Anne QUIGLEY, Mill St., Ballina, Co. Mayo

:-) M