Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Field Post Office H.6; Field censor 2834

Moonraker

One of my "casual interest" queries: can anyone please provide information about FPO H.6 and Field Censor 2834?

post-6017-0-36886000-1419084738_thumb.jp

Moonraker

In early 1915, a new system was introduced and the old stamps were replaced by a series of double‑ring "ARMY POST OFFICE" and "FIELD POST OFFICE" hand-stamps, each carrying a code number designated to a particular unit or formation. General headquarters was "FIELD POST OFFICE G", the various armies were "FIELD POST OFFICE", and "FIELD POST OFFICE H" was Corps Headquarters. The last two stamps also incorporated the army and corps number.

From http://www.worldwar1postcards.com/soldiers-mail.php

Bit of a read, but very interesting stuff about the Field Post office and its workings.

Towards the end there's a little paragraph on Censor Stamps (Seard for "Censor stamps")

I think it is a VI Corps FPO

Thanks for quick replies. Someone has pencilled "6th Corps" on the cover, bottom left.

Moonraker

From http://www.worldwar1postcards.com/soldiers-mail.php

Bit of a read, but very interesting stuff about the Field Post office and its workings.

Towards the end there's a little paragraph on Censor Stamps (Seard for "Censor stamps")

Hey, JWK, that's a really great link. Thanks. I haven't come across that website before, but then I don't get involved much with postmarks etc not relating to Salisbury Plain. I'm looking forward to reading through it, and it will be permanently bookmarked.

Moonraker