Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

UK National Inventory of War Memorials

BereniceUK

The Imperial War Museum appears to have revamped its website and my link to the UKNIWM no longer works. I can't find a link to the war memorials database on the new set-up; does anyone know how I can access the database?

Oh shucks. So it looks like the database is no longer available, for the time being at least.

Last night I emailed the IWM and had a standard reply this morning. I've tried to post the reply here but I just don't know how to succeed. I've tried all ways but there doesn't seem to be any simple copy and paste method. Can anyone enlighten me please?

June

At the top of the "reply to this topic" box there are three paste commands at the right hand end (they look like a little clipboard). Click on one of those and you will get a pop-up into which you paste your copied text.

Thank you Heather! That has really helped

This is the reply from IWM

June

Thank you for your email and your interest in IWM War Memorials Archive (formerly UK National Inventory of War Memorials).

We are pleased to acknowledge the receipt of your email. With the re-opening of IWM London and the official start of the First World War Centenary, this is a very busy time for Imperial War Museums.

Unfortunately we are unable to respond to enquiries not directly related to war memorials or the War Memorials Archive. You will find answers to common questions below. Alternatively, if your question relates to the IWM’s collections or your research please contact the IWM’s Collections Enquiry Service: http://www.iwm.org.uk/ask

Enquiries about War Memorials

Sharing and uploading new information

• We are working to update the database that holds the information on more than 66,000 war memorials across the UK. There are many more across the UK that need to be found.
  • These changes will provide significant improvements to how you can find, share, upload and update information on war memorials
  • If you wish to submit information, please complete the recording form at http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.101 and return it to this email address
  • If you submit information during our period of development, it will be added to the database and will be available in the future. Thank you for your support.

Searching for individuals

• War Memorials Archive is a significant and important data source for IWM’s Lives of the First World War
  • All the names we have available on the memorials at present, and the names that the public will share with us in the future, will be made available through http://www.livesofthefirstworldwar.org over the Centenary period

Photographs of war memorials

• During our development phase we are unfortunately not able to provide images or photos of war memorials. When ready, our new fully functional database and website portal will provide a set of criteria for uploading and storing images. If you have an image that meets this new criteria, we’d love to have them.

Reporting War Memorials at Risk or Applying for conservation funding:

• Please contact the Conservation Officer at War Memorials Trust on 020 7233 7356020 7233 7356 or visit www.warmemorials.org

Thank you.

You'll need Skype CreditFree via Skype

Whilst I've been posting the previous IWM reply, there has been another which could be more helpful.

Dear June,

Thank you for your enquiry about the War Memorials Archive.

We have recently launched a new war memorials search which is now integrated with the IWM website search facility. We are now updating the redirect from the old UKNIWM web address to point to the new search page.

You can access the new war memorials search by going to: http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/search

Kind regards,

The War Memorials Archive Team

Blimey that is some task - I made a degree show piece of over 400 war photos of war memorials I took from around the UK - the interest at the time was that they were to be found all around the country and often in places such as PO's and train stations (eg Derby) each with the listing of local names but there was no national such memorial. This was inspired by a war memorisl I had seen at Khabarovsk in the Soviet Union which was vast and inscribed with thousands of names.

Whilst I've been posting the previous IWM reply, there has been another which could be more helpful.

We have recently launched a new war memorials search which is now integrated with the IWM website search facility. We are now updating the redirect from the old UKNIWM web address to point to the new search page.

You can access the new war memorials search by going to: http://www.iwm.org.uk/memorials/search

Which is the link I posted in the other thread on the topic yesterday.... Clearly I need to post in here! ;)

I did think they were in the process of producing a new database to make their current information more accessible. Great to hear it's still happening, thanks for posting this June.

• 5 months later...

I wonder why they are bothering? The IWM evidently don't have the resources to do the job properly - why not pass the data and the metaphorical torch over the the War Memorials Trust and stop the duplication of effort between the two organisations.

Perhaps because they were there first?

Irrelevent - if they haven't got the resources to do anything in a reasonable timescale what is the point of struggling on.