Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kim'sTower of London Poppy has arrived!

Tom Morgan

Blimey - that was quick!

Seadog - the stalk was fitted into the box diagonally, so I would say 12-18 inches, something like that.

Steven - it certainly was quick. The poppy was still a bit damp from having been washed before packing.

Tom

The poppy was still a bit damp from having been washed before packing.

Tom

Complain. Demand money back. Outrageous. You could catch pneumonia.

I think that they are all very slightly different - can you spot on the photos which one was yours?

William

Question....what proof is there that it's from the Tower display....if there's a market for them what's to stop them being churned out beforehand and sent as a "Poppy from the Tower". Is there a registration number with them.

Are the public buying them because...

A. they've been on display at the Tower

B. they are under the impression ALL the money is going to the charities

C. they believe in the Poppy as a symbol of the tragedy of war

D. everybody wants one....

????

regards

Tom

Tom (P12), there is perhaps another reason best described as “mass hysteria” of the type first seen when Princess Diana died. Stoked up of course by the usual suspects as this quote from the mass circulation newspaper the Daily Mirror illustrates:

“The blood red field of poppies that made a nation weep is now a haunting sea of mud. It looked almost as if nature herself had wanted to add a fitting final touch to Britain’s Moving tribute to her First War Dead. The area where they stood instead recalled a sodden Flanders Battlefield - transformed by tears of rain”

I suspect that most people who have bought these things justify the cost as being well worth it because of the benefit to the six charities, glossing over the extremely healthy profit the financier will make who is resident abroad from the dead of the Great War. Perhaps the financier will be up-front with just how much he will make on his "investment" but I think not.

Norman.

Most people who have bought the poppies will be aware that not all of the money will be going to the charities. It has been publicised in the press enough.

Would this project have happened without somebody financing it up front? Of course not. The production costs must also be considerable. Clay. Glaze. Fuel for the kiln. Stems. Transport to the Tower. It all adds up.

People will have their own reasons for buying them. Remembrance. Chance to own a piece of an art installation. To support the charity. Just because they look pretty.

Will the charities refuse their share because somebody else is making a profit. I very much doubt it.

For many reasons the installation has captured the heart of the nation and charities will benefit.

Don't knock it.

Nigel

Oh do give it a rest Norman. Most people here would find that Daily Mirror quote as vomit-inducing as you do. People bought the poppies becasue they wanted one. I highly doubt that "mass hysteria" was involved since most poppies had already been sold before the rather sensationalist newspaper coverage even started. Anyway it's a free country and no-one has to justify themselves to you (thank God). As for the whole "big bad man made a profit" argument - it's been done to death here and dragging it up again is tedious.

The installation you loathe so much has probably been THE biggest talking point so far in the whole centenary commemoration. Certainly from a personal point of view I know it has piqued an interest among friends who might otherwise have almost let the whole thing pass them by. I think that's a good thing. No doubt you will find fault with the unwashed masses daring to share in your remembrance.

Everyone had a choice as to buy into this or not, I visited it, and paid the money for any or all of the reasons above and for some others as well.

I think that they are all very slightly different - can you spot on the photos which one was yours?

William

Where's Wally's Poppy, you mean?

I just git an email! My order us on it's way :D

Edit to say:

:(. It was for a different order, I only realised when I went back to check the details

Oh do give it a rest Norman.

I do think that Norman has made his point several times over and that it has been rebutted even more often

Moonraker

I do think though..... that if people REALLY wanted the money to go to charity, it would be far better to put the money that these "potty poppies" cost, into the box when buying a "pucka poppy" from the British Legion.

So!....we take it that the main reason for buying one of these "potty poppies" is not for charitable reasons...Mmmmm!!!

Tom

Tom

I find your post quite arrogant. Surely it is up to the individual as to how they spend their money, irrespective of their reason for doing so.

When did you last pay 30 quid for a "pucka" BL poppy?

TR

My grand daughter keeps asking where her poppy is? when will it be here etc so fingers crossed before Christmas

"By the way, perhaps you can tell us the last time you put thirty quid in a BL tin. I think I already know the answer".

I have helped to raise more money for the British Legion Poppy fund than the money that one of these "potty poppies" cost.....

Maybe it's me ???...maybe I should follow the flock...??? but something bugs me about someone making "pots" (there's that word again) of money out of remembrance at this time of year...

No matter how much b******t there was on television and in the newspapers, my conscience wouldn't let me do it...

my very best regards

Tom

Perhaps you can explain why the BL supported this project then? There is of course another aspect to this brilliantly conceived project: not only did it raise awareness about WW1 but also about casualties from more recent conflicts.

TR

When the project started they were talking about £2.50 from the cost of each poppy going to charity - and I questioned it, suggesting they should charge more to get more for the charities. Last I heard the proportion going to charity was close to £9. Given the appreciable cost of manufacture, organisation etc I'd say that £9 was not bad. Especially if the VAT also goes to good causes - I assume buyers are still paying it?

The chap who put up £1million to ensure the project happens should be given a pat on the back, this is an artwork that has caught the public imagination like no other - without him it wouldn't have happened, the charities would not be getting £8million or more. So he get 100% profit - a great return, but he was taking a big risk, he might have lost the lot. Sure he could be a really good egg and send a big cheque to the charities, but that's not really the point, he invested in a new artwork and has made a killing, perhaps he is in the habit of such investments, most of which would see his money disappear.