Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Henry Cecil Wilmot Worcestershire Regiment

chrisleach78

From the very good Worcester War memorial site http://www.rememberthefallen.co.uk/ (which I would direct anybody looking for Worcestershire casualties to).

Henry Cecil WILMOT
Private
Worcestershire Regiment
Service No 202923
Died aged 26 on 23rd July 1917

Son of Katharine Wilmot, of Perrystone Towers, Ross-on-Wye, and the late Reverend Francis E. W. Wilmot, M.A

Buried in Yatton Churchyard, Herefordshire, England, in Southeast part.

Private, Worcester Regt.
Born, June 13, 1890. Died, July 24, 1917.
Cecil Wilmot was the second son of the late Reverend F.C. Wilmot, Rector of Burbage, Buxton. He entered the School House in the Lower School in January, 1902, and left from the Sixth Form in 1909, to take up a post in India on a sugar and indigo estate. He was a fine forward in the football field and also represented the School at cricket. He subsequently migrated to Canada, where he was doing well in farming when the call to serve came. He returned to England and enlisted in the Worcester Regiment. He soon went to France and there contracted lung disease in the trenches, which after a lingering illness terminated fatally in a London hospital, on July 24th, 1917. His reserved nature covered a warm heart, and he bore his long illness with singular fortitude and patience.
W. H. C.

Source for additional information: The Vigornian, November 1917, No.90, Vol.VIII

Appears on:

Worcester Kings School

Worcester Cathedral Cloister Windows Kings School

Also his brothers

Robert Coningsby WILMOT
Captain 10th Battalion Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)Died aged 31 on 29th October 1917Son of the late Reverend Francis E. W. Wilmot and of Katharine Wilmot, of Perrystone Towers, Ross, Herefordshire  Buried in Ruisseau Farm Cemetery, Belgium, Grave C. 1.  Capt., 10th Sherwood ForestersBorn, July 14, 1886. Killed in action, in France, October 29, 1917.Robert Wilmot was the eldest son of the Reverend F E. Wilmot, of Burbage Vicarage, Buxton, and entered the School House from Macclesfield Grammar School in January, 1901, leaving from the Fifth Form after passing the Law Prelim in July 1904, to be articled in a solicitor's office in Derby. He was a steady worker, a keen sportsman and a delightful companion: much prized as a faithful friend,most loyal to his School, and a specimen of the best type of English gentlemen.  He was most regular in his return to the old School for O.V. matches, a most welcome visitor and a regular correspondent.  He joined his county Regiment early in the war, and was a popular and efficient officer.  One writes of him: "A man of the highest principles, who exercised the very best influence on all with whom he came in contact."  The Adjutant of his Battalion writes: "He was loved by every officer in the Regiment and every man in his Company."  Another officer: "He was looked up to by all.  He will be mourned by us for many a long day."  Another: "A splendid fellow, he was always so cheerful and ready to help us all."  He was marvellously preserved through the earlier battles of the war on the Somme, and was killed instantaneously by a shell which found his dug-out, late in October.  He had been with us on leave quite recently.  The School has given in him one of its best, and the eldest of three brothers, all O.V.'s, who have made the great sacrifice.W. H. C.Source for additional information: The Vigornian, March 1918, No.91, Vol. IX.Appears on:Worcester Kings SchoolWorcester Cathedral Cloister Windows Kings School

There is a grave photo

Thomas Norbury WILMOT
Second Lieutenant2nd Battalion Worcestershire RegimentDied aged 20 on 25th August 1916 Awarded Military Cross (MC) Son of Katharine Wilmot, of Perrystone Towers, Ross-on-Wye, and the late Reverend Francis E. Wilmot  Buried in Heilly Station Cemetery, Mericourt-L'Abbe, France, Grave III. E. 3  Lieut., 2nd Batt., Worcester regt.Born March 18, 1896. Fell in France, 1916.Tom Wilmot, the fourth son of the Reverend F. E. Wilmot, Rector of Monnington-on-Wye, entered the School in the First Form in September, 1905, and left after five years in December, 1910, in Form IV., passing on to Hereford after his father's death.  As a small boy he showed great vigour and promise in games and was an excellent Captain of the School House Class Room.  He had been on active service with the Worcester Regiment since May, 1915.  He was mentioned in Dispatches in September of the same year, and was awarded the Military Cross in July, 1916, for conspicuous gallantry in securing and tenaciously holding a post in the enemy's position.  He was mortally wounded on August 24th, when the troops which he helped to lead, captured and held two lines of the German trenches.  His Colonel writes: "He was a splendid officer, loved by all; he fell within a few yards of the objective.  The attack was a huge success in no small way due to him.  He would have been recommended for the Military Medal had he come through. His influence was always good and manly."W. H. C.Source for additional information: The Vigornian, November 1916, No.87, Vol.VIIISecond Lieutenant Thomas N. Wilmot was awarded his MC during the Auchy Raid that took place on 1st/2nd July 1916.  Following the explosion of two mines and an intense artillery bombardment, two companies of the 2nd Worcestershire Regiment dashed forward across 'No Man's Land'.  The Germans first and second lines were overrun and then systematically the enemy's dugouts and mineshafts were bombed out and destroyed.  The enemy fought stubbornly and made several attempts to retake the trench, by bombing from either flank.  Second Lieutenant Wilmot, in particular, distinguished himself by great gallantry during the bombing fight.  In August 1916, he died of wounds received during the battle of Delville Wood.Sources for additional information: The Worcestershire Regiment in the Great War, by Captain H. FitzM. Stacke., 1928.  A Memorial Service for The Men of Worcester and the Neighbourhood who have laid down their lives in the war was held in Worcester Cathedral on All Saints Day, 1916 at 7.30pm.  Lieut. T.N. Wilmot, Worc Regt is listed on the Roll of Honour in the service booklet under Old Vigornians.  Appears on:Worcester Kings SchoolWorcester Cathedral Cloister Windows Kings School

Otherwise have you tried the normal resources of Ancestry, Find My Past, nmarchive which will give more?.

That is great.

Henry Cecil Wilmot is listed in the 1901 census as a boarder at Spondon House School meaning that his name should be added to our War Memorial.

The big question now is whether his brothers also attended Spondon House at any time.

17th Nov 1917 Capt. R. Coningsby Wilmot, O.V., killed. Coningsby Wilmot, R.

Entry in the illustrated supplement to Berrow's Worcester Journal available from Worcester Archives:

Simon, unsure if I should say "Thank you" or something rather rude.

I am on the Glos / Worcs border and had checked the local Glos papers and the Evesham Journal (the nearest Worcs newspaper) but had not driven to Worcester to plough through the Berrows Journal in the Archives, now I know it is indexed it will be much simpler so I need to look at the index and might have to have a drive up to Worcester.

I will say thank you for providing a link to a useful resource, but will reserve further comment until I see what it finds!.

Evan

Worcester Archives did a copy on CD for me...don't forget the Absent Voters list

http://www.worcestershire.gov.uk/cms/pdf/RecordsIndex-Absent-Voters2.pdf

Does the Lloyd George Tax Return have anything useful if you're Glos based? - I'm Zoiren by the way..

http://www.glos1909survey.org.uk/index.html

Firstly thanks again for the Berrows inde. As it happens it did not contain any records of current interest to me, but I now know that rather than having a thought that "it just might" and I should have driven up to Worcester to look, (I am just the wrong side of the border and hence a bit away from Worcester so was not really expectin anything). It also it gives a reasonable amount of information to help identify the person "eg J.Smith, Pershore" rather then just "J.Smith" so is a useful resource and I am sure it could come in handy if I research any places a bit closer to Worcester.

Again I am wrong side of the county line for the Absent Voters, however your link did point me to the Worcester Records Office list of online Indexes and databases and I am sure that in time some of those will come in handy.

Your final one the 1909 tax return is definately of use. I see a nice little "play" coming on this evening - eg a few have names of the cottages which will help pin down the order of the 1911 census.

I imagine others making use of these as well so very many thanks,

Evan