Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte. Stephen Kennedy, 2nd Battn. Connaught Rangers

P. J. Clarke

If Pte. Stephen Kennedy, No. 10691, 2nd Battn. Connaught Rangers, was brought to Athis Mons hospital and died there on 22nd August, 1914, from wounds received, where was his battalion at the time of his wounding? The CWGC, Medal Index card and his Service Papers say he died on this date, although a national historian said this was not true as the CR battn. was not in the area at the time. If the date is right about Stephen's death this makes him the first Ballina, Co. Mayo, man; the first Irishman and first Connaught Ranger to die which is a distinction, though sad one, to have. He was one of three brothers who fell in battle-the others being - John and William, DCM.

The CWGC, Medal Index card and his Service Papers say he died on this date, although a national historian said this was not true as the CR battn. was not in the area at the time.

Who said this was not true PJ? And what evidence does he/she have I wonder?

From the war diary -

22nd August 1914.
Marched to PONT SUR SAMBRE, reached it at 1.15 PM & went into billets.
I have always taken it that he was accidentally wounded/injured before this date and was being moved to hospital when he died.
There are a few other topics on the forum about Stephen.
John

All sources seem to be in agreement that 22/8/14 was the date of death, e.g. CWGC, 1914 Star Roll, SDGW, his service record. And he is buried in a marked grave in Athis-Mons Communal Cemetery.

But there is one document (Grave registration report) on cwgc.org which has 22/9/14 as date of death. I believe this to be a mistake but it does cast some doubt.

John