Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tank Corps Field Batn

Weeford HoldcroftS

I am researching my great uncle's WW1 service records and have come across a service record note that he was in Adm 3 STY H Rouen on the 2nd Jan 1919 with bronchitis. On the 4th Jan 1919 he was transfered to MED BD DEP EC 3 STY H Rouen. He is listed as A Holdcroft Tank Corp Field Batn.

My question is what was Tank Corp Field Batn and was there only one unit or others. The record does not say. Also can someone tell me what these prefixs to the Hospital are at Rouen.

My Great Uncle was Arthur Percy Holdcroft 111110 he was in the Royal Garison Artillary but later transfered to the Tank Corp, but as yet I do not know which unit he was with. Any help would be great.

The hospital your great uncle was admitted to on 2 Jan 19 was Number 3 Stationary Hospital. More information can be found on the excellent Long Long Trail website here: http://www.1914-1918.net/hospitals.htm I can't help you with the abbreviations for where he went on 4 Jan. One of the GWF's resident experts on Great War medical issues is Sue Light. Her website may help: http://www.scarletfinders.co.uk/

I have never heard of a Tank Corps Field Bn. Are you able to post an image of the record?

A Field Company in the Tank Corps was unit charged with recovering damaged or ditched tanks, or if that was impossible, recovering as many components from them as possible for use as spares: heavy and dangerous work especially as stranded tanks were often targets for artillery.

There were two Field Companies during wartime but whether they'd been merged in to one Battalion by 1919 I'm none too sure.

Gwyn