Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thorneycroft Model J Lorry

J T Gray

This month's "Old Glory" magazine has an article in it about a 1916 Thorneycroft Model J lorry owned by a Hampshire museum, and it's appearance with the Great War Society re-enactors at Mons this last August. An edited version is available at:

http://www.oldglory.co.uk/

If you want to read the full version, as it sez on the page, buy the mag!

Hope that is of interest to someone (I have a feeling one or two Pals might have been there and seen it, somehow!)

Adrian

Been there, saw it, been on it.. ;)

I just got the feeling somehow that someone would say that!

So... There are pictures in the magazine... Which one are you?

:D

Adrian

Is any Chum aware of the existence of either Napier or FWD lorries?? I would be interested to know as these were also extensively used.

Here is one hard at work.

post-23-1098501691.jpg

This is Sean, they driver of the lady...

post-23-1098518619.jpg

The hart of the lady:

post-23-1098518654.jpg

Her stylish nose:

post-23-1098518697.jpg

A glorious name...

post-23-1098518817.jpg

Is any Chum aware of the existence of either Napier or FWD lorries?? I would be interested to know as these were also extensively used.

Hi Rupert,

Napier lorries I am afraid I haven't a clue about. However I'm fairly sure that the same magazine ran an article on the restoration - to running condition - of a FWD lorry of WW1 vintage. Unfortunately I don't subscribe and don't have access to an index, so I couldn't tell you when. However the restorers did meet up with a museum's example, so there at least two out there and at least one runs. A swift Google brings up

http://website.lineone.net/~hollis_wood/doughweb/motors.html

Despite the doughboys & lemon-sqeezer hats, by the registrations on the vehicles they are a UK-based group.

Any help?

Adrian

Well, what can I say except thank you both (that's John and BKristof) for posting those extra pictures. I certainly appreciate them, and I hope I'm not the only one!

Adrian

:D

Rupert

There is a restored FWD truck in the Land Warfare Hall at IWM Duxford. The Thornycroft J Type with the 13pdr 9cwt AA gun that was at Lambeth is now at Duxford as well.

Mike

Thanks JTG and Mike for the pointers towards FWD trucks, I shall take a look at next opportunity. The site suggested also shows a military model T Ford which were actually better than the trucks in some cases. These were used in East Africa and known as "Jiggers" , believe it or not they carried 800Lbs of ammunition per trip !!!!!

Roop