Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer RFA?

Gogargirl

Can anyone confirm please from the uniform if this officer is a Lt. Col. in the CCXV (I Wessex) Brigade, Royal Field Artillery (Territorial Force)? I think there's and pip and crown on the shoulder and the uniform looks like cotton so would tie with the brigade serving in India and Mesopotamia from 1916.

post-90362-0-32560000-1404826933_thumb.j

Can anyone confirm please from the uniform if this officer is a Lt. Col. in the CCXV (I Wessex) Brigade, Royal Field Artillery (Territorial Force)? I think there's and pip and crown on the shoulder and the uniform looks like cotton so would tie with the brigade serving in India and Mesopotamia from 1916.

attachicon.gifHLP.jpg

Yes he is a Lieutenant Colonel RA, the uniform is khaki drill (KD) in 1913 pattern and he wears RFA shoulder titles and artillery buttons.

Thank you so much - speedy and helpful! I now know he is my g-grandfather Lt. Col. Henry Lloyd Powell, DSO. He had retired but was called back into service with a promotion in 1913 and was awarded the DSO in Mesopotamia "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He commanded his brigade in a bold and intrepid manner in spite of heavy hostile shelling, and conformed to an ever-changing situation with skill and rapidity." He was 52 at the time.

Hello Gogargirl,

Welcome to the Forum.

He also appears to be wearing the IGS'08 Medal ribbon (India General Service Medal 1908-1935) most probably earned pre WW1.

Robert

According to War Services of Officers of the Army, 1920 Lt Col H L Powell did not receive the IGSM. He did receive the Queen's South Africa Medal with three clasps, the DSO, TFWM and was twice mentioned in despatches. If the photo is of Colonel Powell then the ribbon is probably the QSA.

Dick Flory

According to War Services of Officers of the Army, 1920 Lt Col H L Powell did not receive the IGSM. He did receive the Queen's South Africa Medal with three clasps, the DSO, TFWM and was twice mentioned in despatches. If the photo is of Colonel Powell then the ribbon is probably the QSA.

Dick Flory

Although it doesn't immediately have the appearance of a QSA ribbon you must be correct, as it can be no other. :thumbsup:

Thank you so much - speedy and helpful! I now know he is my g-grandfather Lt. Col. Henry Lloyd Powell, DSO. He had retired but was called back into service with a promotion in 1913 and was awarded the DSO in Mesopotamia "For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. He commanded his brigade in a bold and intrepid manner in spite of heavy hostile shelling, and conformed to an ever-changing situation with skill and rapidity." He was 52 at the time.

That is very interesting. Just so that you understand the context of his position, at that time an artillery brigade is what was changed between the wars to be an artillery regiment. It was in effect a unit that usually comprised 3 batteries of field guns and your g-grandfather was their overall commanding officer (CO). The same make-up exists today in British and British influenced (historically) artillery units.

The QSAM would make sense, as he was in South Africa and served as Adjutant until June 1900. He took part in the relief of Ladysmith and was slightly wounded on May 30th 1900, but I don't know in which action.

Apparently he wrote an article of 'Reminiscences' for the Journal of the Royal Artillery (Vol. 65, January 1939) but despite an internet search I don't know where I might find a copy. Any ideas please? There might be some interesting WW1 experiences related there!

Thanks again for your help.

The QSAM would make sense, as he was in South Africa and served as Adjutant until June 1900. He took part in the relief of Ladysmith and was slightly wounded on May 30th 1900, but I don't know in which action.

Apparently he wrote an article of 'Reminiscences' for the Journal of the Royal Artillery (Vol. 65, January 1939) but despite an internet search I don't know where I might find a copy. Any ideas please? There might be some interesting WW1 experiences related there!

Thanks again for your help.

The Royal Artillery Museum have a complete set of the journals and you can make enquiries through them. They have a website here: http://firepower.org.uk/research/do-your-own-research/

I don't know how far away from Woolwich you are, but if can manage a personal visit then I do recommend it. If you wish to look at anything particular you can make a prior appointment.

Sadly it has been announced that the museum will be closed next year, but they are still functioning currently.

There is an online petition trying to save the museum.

The article is: "Reminiscences" by Colonel H L Powell, DSO in the Journal of the Royal Artillery, Vol. 65, No. 4, p. 574 to 582. It is primarily about his time vying for the RA Gold Cup (horse racing), but has some information on his career. If you would like a scan of the article PM me your email address and I will email it to you.

Regards, Dick Flory

Although it doesn't immediately have the appearance of a QSA ribbon you must be correct, as it can be no other. :thumbsup:

It's a typical QSA ribband as rendered somewhat oddly by orthochromatic film:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_rel_module=post&attach_id=191434