Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Fairhurst - unknown regiment

wolfy2477

Can anyone help identify which regiment Albert was with - he is on the memorial at St Thomas church and there is a mention on his parents grave stone but I've hit a brick wall with anything else?

ALBERT FAIRHURST

Birthplace Ashton in Makerfield
Age 25
Date of Death 6/3/1916
Additional Information Son of James and Alice Fairhurst(Greenall), 369 Potters Row (row of cottages next to Potters Farm, Long Lane/Bryn
Road), Bryn Road, Ashton in Makerfield, Wigan(1901). In 1910 the family was living at 103 Bryn Road South, Ashton in Makerfield. Brothers Thomas and Arthur. Sisters Mary Emily and Alice. Husband of Lilian/Lily Fairhurst(Clark), marriage 17/9/1910 St. Thomas’. In 1911 Albert, Lilian and son Thomas were living at 379 Potters Row, Bryn Road, Ashton in Makerfield. Albert was a coalminer.
Type of Death Killed in Action
Grave/Memorial Ref. No CWGC (Commonwealth War Graves Commission) details.
Grave/Memorial –
(The above information is obtained from the headstone of James and Alice Fairhursts grave in Heath Road Graveyard)

Can you post a link to his entry on CWGC? I have not been able to find him listed.

Are you certain he's a military casualty, have you checked for a civilian death cert?

Sam

As a miner there is the possibility he did not serve in the forces.

An Albert Fairhurst is listed as being injured in a colliery accident at Wigan in 1914.

Source: http://www.cmhrc.co.uk/index.php?text_search=Albert+PLOWS+&page=site/database/search&action=search_by_keyword&Go=Search

Dave

I cannot find anything on his military service but he is listed on the towns ww1 war memorial and on his parents grave stone he is also named as killed in action so I have presumed he must be military - there is also a memorial at Garswood hall from the colliery were miners went to war although others were kept back as mining was an exempt occupation though I recall from the NCB museum at Wakfield just as hazardous. I believe some were recruited to help dig the trenches and some underground warfare blowing up enemy trenches from underneath.

Paul

You could try a check of local newspapers.

May be the council has the original list for the memorial and where the info came from. For a man to have been KIA and no grave reference or CWGC Memorial listing is fairly unusual.

Think you'll find this one died 1916 .

May be the OP should try and find out when these memorials/ Roll of Honour and grave inscription were made?

I am not entirely disagreeing. The date and cause KIA seem quite emphatic. The mans death cert may shed more light. The Garswood Colliery might be more accurate if they still hold records. They should know if they employed him at the time.

I have just had a look at the England & Wales Deaths 1837 - 2007 database on FMP, only one death for Albert Fairhurst came up in 1916, details as follows:

First name(s) ALBERT Last name FAIRHURST Gender Male Birth day - Birth month - Birth year 1884 Age 32 Death quarter 1 Death year 1916 District BOLTON County Lancashire Volume 8C Page 429 Country England Record set England & Wales deaths 1837-2007 Category Life Events (BDMs) Record collection Deaths & burials Collections from United Kingdom

From the age it would appear this is not your Albert.

The British Nationals Armed Forces Deaths 1796-2005 database on FMP show only two entries for Albert Fairhurst, both of these are from the Second World War and match up with the CWGC records.

I would suggest going to the Parish and asking to look at their burial records, if they don't retain them from that era, they may be able to direct you in the right direction.

Mark

post-99311-0-24922500-1404170252_thumb.j

Can anyone do anything to make the bottom line more legible?

If it helps?

Baptism: 17 Aug 1890 St Thomas, Ashton in Makerfield, Lancashire, England

Albert Fairhurst - [Child] of James Fairhurst & Alice

Born: 25 Jul 1890

Abode: Long Lane

Baptised by: H. B. Dollond

Register: Baptisms 1887 - 1900, Page 75, Entry 593

Source: LDS British Film 1885659

Perhaps served under an alias?

Mike

His name was added to his parents headstone in or after 1924? After is mothers death.

Possibly added by brother, sister or wife. The dates for the church and colliery memorials would be interesting.

Would it be possible that it was a family plot and he is actually buried there?

A Family tree on ancestry links this MIC to him

post-99311-0-84104300-1404200603_thumb.j

1/8 Manchester Regiment

25 September 1914 : landed at Alexandria in Egypt.
6 May 1915 : landed on Gallipoli.
26 May 1915 : formation became 127th Brigade, 42nd (East Lancashire) Division.
28 December 1915 : evacuated from Gallipoli, landed on Mudros and proceeded to Egypt.

Thanks IPT. I looked on the Manchester Reg website of casualties and could find no Albert Fairhurst listed so that man presumably survived.

This man is a mystery.

Perhaps the OP will be able to get a death certificate or find him in a burial register?

Run up against a brick wall before trying to find Albert Fairhurst. Sadly, he's only one out of nine from Ashton that my colleagues and I have been unable to trace. (I suppose on the bright side that the other 291 can be found!) One of the problems with Ashton is there is no 'town' memorial, with Ashton being a collection of small townships in 1914, such as Bryn or Stubshaw. Consequently, there are a number of scattered memorial rolls and a few 'local' memorials, but nothing that commemorates all those from what we'd consider as 'Ashton' today.

The other frustrating one from the St Thomas' Roll is for George Francis Moses, a 27 year old miner of 379 Bolton Rd. He's down as being 'killed in action' on 23 August 1918. Either an alias and there's nearly 2000 killed on that day, or the date and initials are wrong.

Of 203 men who died 6/3/16 3 served under an alias but none are him.