Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Sounder

centurion

Reading a diary entry by an officer (who later served in WW1) undertaking an exam on signalling pre war. He gives his marks for Small Flag, Lamp, Semaphore and Helio - all of which I understand, burt also Sounder which I don't; is this a Morse buzzer on a field telegraph or a Ground buzzer (both WW1 equipment) or something else that was or was not used in WW1?

I would suggest that it was simply a device capable of short and long sounds, rather like a voice mouthing 'dis' and 'dahs'. I recall something like that from my Boy Scout service.

Old Tom

I would suggest that it was simply a device capable of short and long sounds, rather like a voice mouthing 'dis' and 'dahs'. I recall something like that from my Boy Scout service.

Old Tom

A Morse buzzer?

A Morse buzzer?

I think so. An apparatus which enabled the electromagnetic telegraph signal to be converted into a useful, audible sound which the operator could read as morse code.

Hi

This is probably not what the diary mentions but you never know.

The French had 'Sound Signalling' devices in use pre-war and in the early war years probably. This was a continuation of earlier battlefield sound systems, the drum and bugle. The US Army translated and printed earlier French documents when they came into the war in 1917. Some illustrations follow:

post-57218-0-34050400-1404047872_thumb.j

The 'Trumpet' or 'periscope bugle'.

post-57218-0-60627400-1404047920_thumb.j

The 'listening device' or 'ear trumpets'

post-57218-0-73869200-1404047947_thumb.j

The 'Gas operated sending apparatus'.

They would send 'Morse' sound signals.

Mike