Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Machine Gun & Skye's Band of Brothers

Jack Sheldon

I must try to catch this on iPlayer. Like others I think that Neil Oliver is one of the better TV ' History Presenters'. Pals may recall that he started off as a battlefield archaeology double act with Tony Pollard.

Yep "Two Men in a Trench" Mark, was an excellent programme, their episode on the "Field of the English" at Culloden, changed the long held belief of the location of the mass grave of the Government forces casualties if I remember correctly.

Sam

Tony Pollard spoke at the GWF Conference. Him and Neil have done a one-off special on Bannockburn to be broadcast in the coming months.

I'm almost certain they did a programme on Bannockburn for Two Men in a Trench, it's certainly covered in the 2nd book of the series http://www.amazon.co.uk/Two-Men-Trench-Uncovering-Battlefields/dp/0718145941/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1396278535&sr=1-2&keywords=two+men+in+a+trench where they tried to identify for certain the location of the battlefield and looked at sharpened stakes in a Stirling museum purporting to be part of defences used by the Scots, I'm certain they proved the latter were not connected.

I wonder if it's a repeat or a new programme?

Sam

It's a completely new programme, Tony said the previous one wasn't that conclusive and this one is a much more comprehensive analysis of the site

I must try to catch this on iPlayer. Like others I think that Neil Oliver is one of the better TV ' History Presenters'. Pals may recall that he started off as a battlefield archaeology double act with Tony Pollard.

You may need to get a move on Mark I think it will disappear later this evening

David

PS and Pollard was brilliant at the conference talking about Fromelles

• 2 months later...

.... and should certainly be broadcast in due course in the other TV regions.

and so it came to pass: Friday 4th July, BBC2, 21:30 ; also Thursday 10th, BBC2, 23:20 (except Scotland) 23:50 (Scotland only)

NigelS

Now available on iPlayer again until 11th July Click (and the further showing on BBC2 next Thursday (10th) at 23.20 is still to come)

NigelS

I watched it last night and thought it was a really interesting and informative programme, it also highlighted the little known (outside of our circle) battle of Festubert.

Oliver and our own, our very own, Jack Sheldon made a good team. Better by far than Snow on Snow, now described in a local magazine as a "television historian". I thought it a very good programme indeed.

Agree with the above comments, thought that the Machine Gun graphic illustrations were very clear. Neil Oliver excellent as usual. Sad to see the tragic results of the battle of Festubert on such a close knit community. Also unusual that the father of one of the fallen paid for the town memorial.

There is a programme on BBC2 at 9.30 p.m. on Friday the 11th July on the 'Pipers of the Trenches'. This visits the Somme and Gallipoli, with a descendant of three pipers who played bagpipes at the Battle of the Somme. She is accompanied by Peter Barton.

Mike.

There is a programme on BBC2 at 9.30 p.m. on Friday the 11th July on the 'Pipers of the Trenches'. This visits the Somme and Gallipoli, with a descendant of three pipers who played bagpipes at the Battle of the Somme. She is accompanied by Peter Barton.

Mike.

Pipers in the Trenches has been discussed elsewhere on the Forum. I found it a Curate's Egg of a programme, generally poor.

Pipers in the Trenches has been discussed elsewhere on the Forum. I found it a Curate's Egg of a programme, generally poor.

Oh dear, the Bishop wouldn't like you ! The curate's egg was good in parts !

Respectfully Yours,

Obadiah Slope

And indeed the programme was good ... in parts.

Yours Proudley (Mrs).

Finally saw it last night and enjoyed it - I just hope the RSM didn't see the length of Jack's hair :hypocrite:

Cheers-salesie.

Just to clear up a popular misconception: the curate's egg in the original cartoon was wholly bad. When his host the Bishop comments 'I'm afraid you've got a bad egg, Mr. Jones', the Curate replies, in a desperate and patently absurd bid to curry favour and avoid giving offence to his superior: 'Oh, no, my Lord, I assure you that parts of it are excellent!' As a result, 'Curate's Egg' was originally meant to signify something which had actually been disastrous but which was made out to have had some positive aspects, usually for propaganda or face saving purposes (cf Robert Graves's brilliant poem 'The Persian Version', most England cricket and football press conferences). However, it now tends to be used in a non-ironic fashion to mean something that really does have good and bad features.

Desperate Great War link: the original Punch cartoon was by Gerald Du Maurier , father of the more famous actor-manager of the same name and grandfather of Daphne and the Llewelyn Davies boys, inspirations for Peter Pan. George Llewelyn Davies, named after his grandfather, was killed in 1915 and is buried at Vormezeele Enclosure No 3.

Salesie, I nearly had it cut and added a monocle, blazer and tie, but I couldn't risk looking like 'spot the colonel' when appearing with Neil Oliver!

The Radio Times blurb claimed that Kitchener, though having used the MG "to devastating effect" in Sudan, didn`t approve of its use in Europe (ie against white troops). The Germans had no such qualms and hence started the Great War with far more Maxims. Is that a reasonable assumption?

The Radio Times blurb claimed that Kitchener, though having used the MG "to devastating effect" in Sudan, didn`t approve of its use in Europe (ie against white troops). The Germans had no such qualms and hence started the Great War with far more Maxims. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Oh, good grief! No, is the short answer. They just had, how can I put this, significantly more units.

In adddition, K of K had very little (if anything?) to do with the equipment scales of the home element of the British army prior to his appointment to the War Office after the war had started. Therefore he had practically nothing to do with armament issue scales for the original BEF.

Where do they get these writers from?

Where do they get these writers from?

Meejah Studies courses at Universities formerly better-known as soft play areas.

Salesie, I nearly had it cut and added a monocle, blazer and tie, but I couldn't risk looking like 'spot the colonel' when appearing with Neil Oliver!

:w00t:

Caught up with this last night and have to say it was very much my sort of programme. I liked the way that what may have been quite a dry history of the MG had been interwoven into the human interest story of the Skye men. It was good, for once, to have territorials portrayed as a group of "pals" whose deaths would really devastate small communities in ways that really didnt happen in the industrial areas where "pals battalions" were raised (IMO, of course).

Good to put a face to Jack's name as well.