Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gewher 98

Hanniballector

Hi

I would really appreciate some help on this.G98 D.W.M (Deutsche waffen - und munitionsfabriken ) 1906 Berlin rifle with its original unit disk 11.r.1.41 (11 regiment of the first company ,rifle 41 ) if I've read correctly. Problem is I can't find any regiment that this is referring too! I would like it to have been Bavarian as this would fit, how ever I think this would read 11.b.r.1.41. And have Bavarian lion cress on the receiver .Their is a small helmet symbol just after the numbers , possible a guard symbol ?? It's a total mystery too me however I'm far from being clued up on german / Prussian regiments. Any suggestion or help thanks

Really need a picture, to see what type of 'R' you have.

My understanding is that this being a 1906 rifle, then if that is a regular 'R' then 11.R.1.41 would be 11th Regiment, Company 1, weapon 41. If an italic 'R' then this would be 11.Reserve Regiment, Company 1, weapon 41.

Pre-WWI, the 11.Regiment was the Grenadier-Regiment König Friedrich III (2. Schlesisches) Nr.11 or, if you prefer, the 11th Grenadiers 'King Frederick III' (2nd Silesian), in the VI Army Corps. I don't have a chance now (getting ready for work) to check any further than this identification but I'll try and check some more later.

Trajan

Hi

How do you upload pics from mobile phone

Thanks

No idea, but if you are really into these rifles you might want to check out this site - http://forums.gunboards.com/forumdisplay.php?6-The-K98-Mauser-Forum as they do sometimes have something on Gew.98's.

Trajan

There is a web-page, in German, on the early history (up to 1914) of the Breslau-based Grenadier-Regiment König Friedrich III (2. Schlesisches) Nr.11: see - http://genwiki.genealogy.net/Gren.R_11 This tells us that at the beginning of WWI, they were in the 22. Infanterie-Brigade, of the 11 Infanterie-Division, of the VI.Armee Korps, of the 2.Armee.

There is an English-language web page on the activities of the 11th Inf.Div. here - http://www.militaerpass.net/11id.htm This also gives a 'Calendar of battles and engagements' of the 11.Inf.Div. between August 1914-November 1918.
However, the 'Order of battle on 1 January 1918' on the same page does not make any reference to the Grenadier-Regiment König Friedrich III (2. Schlesisches) Nr.11, although it does list its sister regiment, the Grenadier-Regiment König Friedrich II (1. Schlesisches) Nr.10, but it does not explain what had happened to the Nr. 11...
Hope this is of interest!
Trajan

Hi Trajan,

Thank you for your recent input ". I did see on various internet sites this regiment but have been under the belief (false possibly) that it would be indicated by G.G.R (1877) regulations or G.G ( 1909) regs ? However as stated in my last post I'm no expert . I would appreciate your thoughts on this. I also have no idea how too upload photos from phone on here and would like too post some any suggestions ? Any idea what v1 very heavily stamped in underneath the bolt may indicate ? Many thanks .

Photos must be under 250kb to post on here directly. On newer hi-res phone cameras the image may (dependent upon settings) be too large without modifying it.

As an alternative you could post the pics to an external site like photobucket and then post the link here.

Assuming your photos are small enough to post it here click the "more reply options" (bottom right)

then click attach files button (browse to the image file and click attach)

Once attached you can either go ahead and post (and the image will be at the end of your post)

or you can position the cursor within your message and then click "insert" and the image will appear within the text wherever you have positioned the cursor.

Hope this helps

Chris

Hi Trajan,

Thank you for your recent input ". I did see on various internet sites this regiment but have been under the belief (false possibly) that it would be indicated by G.G.R (1877) regulations or G.G ( 1909) regs ? However as stated in my last post I'm no expert . I would appreciate your thoughts on this. ...

Well, I'm certainly no expert in this field - very much a newcomer in fact!

I see what you mean, though: one would think that a Grenadier-Regiment would mark its weapons G.R., and the more I think on that, you are right and it should indeed be the case! My mistake (and I have been guilty of it before :blush:) in trying to do GWF things while at work... I didn't have a chance to check my (incomplete) files listing the various marks I have come across, and I should have done that - I was too busy focussing on the regiment number!

In which case, then the R on your marking should be an Italicised R, and so indicating the 11th Reserve Infantry Regiment... And I don't think I have any information at all as to their doings. I'll try and check more after getting the kids from school.

(Still blushing from earlier confusion...!)

You probably know the Wikipedia entry, giving the Reserve-Infanterie-Regiment Nr. 11 in the 11th Reserve Division (11. Reserve-Division).

http://genwiki.genealogy.net/RIR_11 gives the 11.Reserve Regiment as being formed in 1914, and notes that the division served on the West front only, and that there is no known regimental history.

To the best of my knowledge, BTW, a Bavarian bayonet marking should be something like 'B.5.R.1', or 'B.3.P.3.189' (actual examples), i.e. with the 'B' at the front.

Trajan

Hi Trajan

Yes been on that link. I Found cruffler.com on imperial german regimental markings quite insightful as well.

Also I've tried http://www.pickelhauben.net/articles/Overview_infantry.htm . But had no luck! I think your correct about the Bavarian regimental marking from what I remember . I've uploaded the unit disk. I was wondering if the small helmet symbol could be a clue, any suggestions ? Would be interesting if this rifles regiment had some connection to the war .

Chris am I right in saying your a bit of a lee enfield expert ? I have a question if I may.what do

The stamped numbers underneath the forend woodwork in front of the swivel seating / sword bar mean? It's a 1914 B.S.A ( Birmingham small arms) I already know the last unit it was attached too as it was on the unit disk MALVERN 812 (home guard) has DP drill purpose and EY emergency use and of course proof stamps and manufacturing maker marks. But no idea of these. image_zpse457ef75.jpg respectfully

Numbers and letters read z over 7,7 unreadable then 4 then a second batch underneath 83 , 25 over a x . Any idea please thank you

This marking on the disk ( 11.R.1.41 ) looks to have been stamped strictly in accordance with regulations, so it is relatively straightforward to decode.

It will of course indicate the Grenadier-Regt. König Friedrich III (2.Schlesisches) Nr.11 (Breslau) VI Armee Korps, as was initially suggested by Trajan.

The Grenadier regiments did not include the letter G as this was used to indicate Garde regiments. In this case the Grenadier was treated as Infanterie.

Cheers, S>S

Generally speaking, in this location on an SMLE fore-end the serial number of the rifle would be stamped.

This looks to me like maybe two numbers have been stamped (reused foreend?)

I would guess one of the numbers is X83?24 which might well be a serial number (the letter is often stamped below)

What is the serial number on the rifle? anything like this?

Does the rifle still have it's volley sight base? if not it is almost certainly a replacement fore-end.

Chris

Hi too you all.

Thank you for your wisdom on the regiment the g 98 was issued too . My apologies to Trajan I thank you for your insight and knowledge this has been very interesting as this regiment did see active service during the conflict. Any guess what the v 1 might stand for on the underneath of the bolt drop down ? Thanks

Hi Chris

0ABB88A3-4E25-49E6-8CBE-11F2D4124E34_zps

07AEEBB9-C1E0-4041-8B4F-392697D15666_zps

34D94932-A761-4BB0-8378-790838240CAC_zps

DE7CFCF3-6598-4B94-A2F3-CF36842DB6C2_zps

Hi got cut off plate , volley sites , peep Ect ,sorry in rush got to go back work will send some more pics later . Many thanks .

Looks like a nice rifle in fairly original condition. Certainly has an interesting array of markings on it. Original barrel dated '14 with the matching serial numbers W40986.

Firstly E.Y.'d then D.P.'d and then later Sold out of Service - it's got the lot as far as markings go.! I believe the RE inspection mark indicates a wartime repair at Enfield.

Cheers, S>S

Also on the left side of the receiver their's some funny looking marks underneath the G.R proofing stamp ,could this bee Indian stamp ? Quite hard too see strange dot followed by a rune looking letter followed by dot again. Thank you .