Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Dear Annette,

My grandfather Pte Charles Follett No 15845 joined the KSLI in 1914 just after his wife had died, he left 3 children under 10 with relatives.

From his Medal Card he landed in France on 28 Sep 1915 so I am assuming he was in the 7th (Service) Battalion. In 1916 or 17 he was injured and discharged from the Army. He returned underground as a miner and died in 1947.

His Army Record is not available, so I was wondering if you have any info on when or where he might have been wounded.

Peter

Hi Peter

You are right he went overseas with the 7th Battalion, moved to 5th Battalion (do not know when or why but could be down to wound or illness), he return to the 7th Battalion again I am not 100 % of when but very likely to have been when the 5th was disbanded in Feb. 1918. He is reported wounded in Ludlow Advertise 04/05/18,so I would say he was wounded between 21st-29th March 1918 (again I can not be 100 % sure of this) when the 7th Battalion were involved in fighting in Arras sector, west of Henin. The Battalion was also involved in fighting in La Bassee sector on 12th-14th April, they were holding the La Hamel Switch between the La Bassee Canal and the Canel de la LaweHe was discharged on 05-03-19 to class Z Reserve.

Annette

Dear Annette,

Thank you for the info on Charles Follett. My father always said his father was wounded at Arras but always believed it was in 1916-17. Bearing in mind that my father was only 12 at that time, he could well be a year or two out.

Thanks again,

Peter

Hi Peter

He could well have been wounded twice, I do not have full lists of wounded yet. The 7th were at Arras so you father is correct. This would explain his move to the 5th, on recovering from wounds men did not always go back to their original battalion.

Annette

Hello I attach some of our local Parish boys from KSLI, two casualties and a few others from Absent Voters list and a War Memorial.

I have researched the two casualties in depth if you can add anything let me know.

Two Casualties

Private 15634 Francis William Wilkins

He was born in 1895 at Welsh Newton, Buckle, Monmouth, the son of Charles and Elizabeth Wilkins, of Ivy Cottage, The Scowl, Coleford, Gloucester. The 1901 census shows he resided at 3 Cherry Orchard, Penalt, aged 3. His father does not appear on the census for that year. His mother, Elizabeth age 27 (b. Penalt) had no listed occupation. He had two sisters listed: Eleanor age 2 (b. Llanwair) and Emily age 4 months (b Llanfihangel Gobion). From this we can deduce that they had recently moved to Penalt presumably from the Welsh Newton area. They spoke English. 4

The 1911 Census shows Charles (b. Cwmcarvan, aged 44) and Elizabeth aged 38 living in a four roomed house at “Penalt, Monmouth”. His occupation is given as “farm labourer”. They had been married for 15 years and had 5 chidren one of whom had died. They had one daughter at home Eleanor (b. Llandogo, age 12) and Frederick (b. Llandogo, age 3).6

By December 29th 1916, Francis was listed in the Monmouth Beacon as having joined the King’s (Shropshire Light Infantry). He joined 6th Battalion King’s (Shropshire Light Infantry), and enlisted in Monmouth and resided at New Mills, Penallt, Monmouth. 5

He became 15634 Private Francis William Wilkins. He was killed in action 22nd March 1918 aged 21. He served in France and Flanders and entered the theatre of war on 9th August 1915. His medal entitlement was British War Medal and British Victory Medal but not the 1915 Star. 1, 2, 3

He is buried at Pozieres Memorial. No other records of his war service can be found.

His death was reported in the Monmouthshire Beacon on January 24th 1919.

(Transcript)

PENALT

Killed in Action – The parish of Penalt appears to have been badly hit during the war as the number of soldiers who have died reached double figures. This week we regret to announce that Mr. and Mrs. Charles Wilkins of Park Farm, Penalt, have received information of the death of their eldest son, Private Francis (Frank) William Wilkins. He belonged to the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry, and from the depot at Shrewsbury, his anxious parents now learn that he was killed in action on March 22nd, 1918, at Haponcourt, and was buried behind the German lines. He was 22 years of age, and in civil life much respected. Sympathy is extended to Mr. and Mrs. Wilkins in their bereavement. 5

(Transcript by Peter Garwood and Linda Sladek)

Such delay in confirming the death of a soldier was not uncommon as the soldier was often listed as “missing in action” for many months until the body might be recovered and identified, often by their dog tags or sometimes because they were found to have documents on them that gave identification. Many such bodies were recovered and reburied long after the end of the war. This resulted in families living a daily existence of simply not knowing if their loved ones had actually died. There was always a glimmer of hope that they might be a prisoner of war and the Red Cross was sending notification. For many families the bodies were never to be found and their sons would be remembered on a specific memorial in France and Flanders where the names of those with no known grave could be listed.

References

1. Commonwealth War Graves Commission

2. Soldiers Died Great War

3. Medal Index Card National Archives

4. 1901 Census

5. Monmouthshire Beacon

6. 1911 Census

Private 13227 Victor Edwin Wilkins

This man has been identified by a relative - Mrs. Janice Baldwin of Penallt.

He was the son of Henry and Louisa Wilkins of Llandogo and Penalt.

The 1881 census shows his family residing at residence 14 Llandogo. His father Henry age 28(b. Llandogo) worked as Hoop Maker. His mother, Louisa age 26 (b. Lanthony) had no listed occupation. They had two sons at home Albert W. age 5 (b. Llangatock), and Haubury H. age 3 (b. Llandogo).

The 1891 census shows his family residing at No 14 Llandogo. His father Henry age 39 (b. Llandogo) worked as Labourer. His mother, Louisa age 36, (b. Lanthony) had no listed occupation. There were four brothers Albert age 15, (b. Llangatock), Harold age 13, (B. Llandogo) and Arthur age 9, (b. Llandogo) and Alfred George age 5, (b. Llandogo) (See above) and two daughters Lucy age 7, (b. Llandogo ) and Amy age 1, (b. Llandogo ).4

The 1901 census shows them at 43 Penyvan Hill, Llandogo. Victor was age 3, (b. Llandogo 1898). By then his father had died and his mother was age 46. Arthur was age 19 and working as a farm labourer. Lucy was 17, Victor was age 13 and working as a farm labourer. Amy was age 6, Alfred George had been born in Llandogo, and by this time and was age 6, and there was also a very young sister Doris, age 9 months. Albert and Harold had presumably left home.5

The 1911 census shows that they were living at a four roomed house, “The Bowery”, Tregagle Farm. Head of the household was Louisa age 56, the family has had eight children one of whom (Amy) had died. Victor is aged 23 and worked at Redbrook tinplate works as a labourer. George was 16 and worked as a farm labourer. Doris was 10 years old.9 In 1915 the family were still at The Bowery, Tregagle Farm, Penalt.2

In the third quarter of 1915, Victor married Winifred L Thomas in a ceremony held at Pembroke. 7 He lived at The Bowery in Penallt in 19182 and he was serving with the Shropshire Light Infantry. No other records of his war service can be found. He was wounded in WWI and died on the 1st February 1919, at the War Hospital in Bath. At the time of his death his home address was given as The Bowery, Tregagle, Penallt.6 (He had complications from war wounds and this resulted in death from an aortic aneurysm and pneumonia). His wife Winifred L. Wilkins was present at the death. At the time she was resident at 3 Railway Terrace, Pembroke. 8

While in hospital, he made a sash with his name on it as occupational therapy, for its age, it is in remarkable condition and colour.

References:

1. 1901 Census

2. Monmouthshire Register of Absent Voters 1918

3. Sash

4. 1891 Census

5. 1901 Census

6. Register of Deaths 1st Quarter 1919

7. Marriage Listing 1915

8. Death Certificate 1919

9. 1911 Census

Those on the Memorial but survived war

George C. Davies Cpl M.M. POW Number not known KSLI Would love to identify these guys!

H. D Evans Number not known KSLI

D. Morgan Number not known KSLI

J. Wintour Number not known KSLI NO TRACE

Absent Voters List for Llandogo

William Henry Howells Whitebrook 13228 Pte KSLI

KSLI was not big down here mainly SWB and Monmouth as well as MRME, Welch units

Thanks

Peter

For George C Davies, maybe this MIC for his MM http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6358269, gazetted 16 November 16, which would make it http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29827/supplements/11139. Battalion isn't clear on the medal card, but might be 6th. Fortuitously, 6th is confirmed by the main medal card for this man (which spells his name Davis) http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=2276018 trio with 15 Star, to Class Z 22 February 1919, entered France 24 July 1915. Nothing in the POW interview records though, and he appears to have ended the war as a serjeant.

Guest samandliz8889

To whom it may concern,

I am currently tracing my family tree and have come across a great-great uncle that served with this fine regiment during the great war. Unfortunately he was killed in action during the second battle of ypres and I am currently trying to find out where he fought(I have a rough idea, possibly Bellewaarde ridge or railway wood) or how he was killed. It is of great importance to my grandmother as she would like to know about her uncle during the war so if you could provide me with any information at all it would be greatly appreciated. I know the enlisted at the Hereford recruitment centre and i know he entered theatre on the 5th May and was subsequently killed on the 25th May(2nd battle of Ypres). If there is anything you can do help his name was Private William Ernest Higgin Thomas and his service number was 7585 and he served with the 1st Battalion KSLI (not sure of the company or platoon sorry). If you are not able to help me directly would you happen to know where i could get this information please. Thank you very much.

Kind Regards

Liz Thomas

Hi Liz & Peter, I will get back to you both asp.

Annette

Hi Tommy

I have decided to post info. about Captain James Frederick, Addy, here instead of emailing to you because others may have an interest, this comes from war diary, Regt. History and London Gazz.

He joined 1st Battalion K.S.L.I. 11th July 1916 as 2nd Lt.

Goes to F.A. sick on 12th Aug 1916 & rejoins 3rd Sept 1916

Goes to F.A. sick on 16th Oct 1916 & rejoins 21st Oct.

Rejoins 6th Jan 1917 (could not find an entry mentioning him leaving ? but writing small and faded in places so I may have missed it)

Goes on leave to UK 16th Jan 1917 & returns 28th Jan.

5th May 1917 Battalion war diary records the award of MC to Lt Addy (likely to have been awarded for fighting between 15th - 22nd April 1917 south east of Loos.)

23rd May 1917 Presented medal ribbons.

L.G. -temp Lt. 1st July 1917

29th July 1917 rejoins (again I could not find an entry mentioning him leaving)

7th Oct 1917 Goes on leave to UK & rejoined 22nd Oct

25th Jan 1918 Capt Addy proceeds to 3rd Army Artillery Course & rejoins 1st Feb

L.G. -Temp Lt. J.F. Addy relinquishes the acting Rank of Captain 5th Feb 1918

22nd Feb Goes on leave to UK for 14 days.

16th March proceeded to England for 6 months Home Duty.

M.C. citation Temp. 2nd Lt. James Frederick Addy, Shrops. L.I. - For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty. In spite of being subjected to heavy fire, he succeeded in digging a trench across "No Mans Land" to connect up to captured enemy trenches to our own front line.

The following is where and how I think James won his M.C.:-

During the night of 16th/17th April the 1st K.S.L.I. relieved the 1st Buffs, with “D” and “C” Companies occupied the line from Seaforth Alley to the Loos Crassier, “A” Company then carry on along the railway line. “B” Company were in close support in Wrexham Tunnel.

At 1.30 p.m. “C” Companies bombers tried to bomb a German trench that ran from about N.1.c.20.80. to Natal trench (M.6.b.8.4.) but were driven back. Later at 4 p.m. the artillery started to bombard the German trenches in front of the 16th Brigade.

At 5 a.m. on the 18th April, bombardment lifted forward so that strong patrols from the K.S.L.I. and the Bedfords could see if they could occupy Norel Alley but had orders not to get involved in heavy fighting. Patrols from “A” and "C" Companies K.S.L.I. advanced and gained the trench that ran along a sunken road from map reference N.1.c.25.85 to Natal Trench at N.1.a.00.35. (their line ran N.1.c.25.85-M.6.b.90.30-M.6.b.82.45), the 8th Bedfords., also advanced in line with K.S.L.I. At dusk, "B" Coy relieves "A" and "D" relieves "C"

On the 19th at 4.30 a.m. The K.S.L.I and the Bedfords advanced, after a bombardment of the German lines. Strong patrols from “B” Company worked up Natal Trench (support trench) to the Junction of Norel Alley, they then worked down Norel Alley to the junction of Netley Trench. On the left “D” Company worked down the German front line to map reference N.1.a.15.66. and then work their way to the junction of Natal and Norel. The captured trenches were consolidated and “D” Company connected these to the British line through Seaforth Crater. The Germans counter-attacked at 4.30 p.m. after a heavy bombardment but it was repulsed, the attackers being caught in the open by Lewis Gun fire.

Annette

Map of area captured by 1st K.S.L.I. 18TH-19TH April 1917post-6616-049607000 1290175974.jpg

Hi Peter

William Henry Howells papers are on Ancestry

There are three possiblies for George C. Davies Cpl M.M.

11607 L/Cpl. Davies, George, M.M. Gaz. 15-6-17 Landed 22/05/15 5th & 1/K.S.L.I. Class Z Res. 05-04-19. Info. from 14-15 Star Medal Roll, Victory/British Medal Roll & Regt. History.

12165 Sgt. Davies, George, M.M. Landed 24/07/1 6/K.S.L.I. "C" Coy. Certificate for Gallantry 30th-31st August 1916. Class Z Res. 22-02-19 Info. from 1914-15 Star Medal Roll, Victory/British Medal Roll, Regt. History & War Diary. Sorry for repeating David's info. but easyest to just cut and past my info.

Not about next bloke as he is George T and not George C.

35907 Sgt. Davies, George Thomas,M.M. Gaz. 22-07-19(Pengam) Formerly Welsh Regt. 19332 trans. to 1/4/K.S.L.I.

will let you know more later as I have to go to work now.

Annette

Hi Liz

I have the following on 7585 Private William Ernest Thomas born Leominster, Herefords. Resided 8 Belmont Road, Hereford. Not sure if he was a Army Reservist or Special Reserve, if Army Res. then he enlisted Jan. 1904 & if Special Res. he enlisted in Aug 1914 (I think he was latter).

While he is listed as 1st K.S.L.I., I am 99.99% sure he was killed with the 2nd Battalion. There are seven men listed as being killed under the 1st Battalion on 25th-26th May 1915, who were in Armentiers area, their war diary makes no mention of anyone being killed on these dates. A few months ago after a discussion about this follow members of the forum sent me a few newspaper cutting from different papers that listed all seven men as being killed/missing and one incorrectly reported as wounded under 2nd Battalion. Well I say all seven I belive 7585 Private William Ernest Thomas, as been incorrectly recorded as 7885 M. Thomas, I have made meny searches for anyone by this number and name but have found nothing (there are several other small mistakes with Regimental numbers & names). I believe that these seven men amoung other, were on their way to join the 1st Battalion but were reposted at last moment and sent to the 2nd Battalion, and somehow their paper work never showed this, so when they were listed in C.W.G.C. & Soldiers Died they were listed under the 1st and placed on the wrong memorial to the missing.

The 2nd K.S.L.I. belonged to 80th Brigade, 27th Division

24th May -Germans attacked & broke the line between Bellewaarde Lake and the railway line (also between the Lake and Hooge). The 27th Division were ordered forward at noon the 84th received orders to retake the lost ground, and they proceeded to G.H.Q. Line, while at 1 p.m. the 80th moved forward to the southern outskirts of Ypres, which it reached at 3 p.m.

The 80th were ordered to attack along side the 84th but this orders did not reach the 80th until 4.30 p.m., the 84th did not wait for the 80th and attacked at 5 p.m. It drove the Germans out of Witte Poort Farm and off the small ridge near by, they dug-in near the road that passes the farm, and waited for the 80th Brigade, which arrived at G.H.Q. Line at about 7 p.m. By 11 p.m. the 80th Brigade were in position to advance. The K.S.L.I. were to lead on left followed by the 4th K.R.R.C. and the 3rd K.R.R.C. lead on the right followed by the 4th R.B.

X Company, and Y Company, made the assault on the K.S.L.I.’s front. Captain Leslie was soon severely wounded, Lt. E. A. Williams-Freeman led Y Company through Railway Wood and captured the German front line but efforts to take the second line failed due to heavy fire from front and both flanks. By dawn of the 25th May, Y Company’s position had became untenable, and the Germans had been seen to be reinforced, so it was decided to withdrew back to the 84th Brigade’s line.

The K.S.L.I. dug themselves in west of the road near Witte Poort Farm, to as far as the Menin Road, while the right of the 80th Brigade established connection with the Cavalry by extending parties towards Zouave Wood.

The Brigade held the line throughout the 26th, the men were in an exhausted state and to make their plight worse it was very difficult to get water and rations to them, owing to there being no communication trenches to the newly dug trenches.

Relived that night, the 2nd K.S.L.I. were heavily shelled during relief, after which they made their way to Busseboom. Casualties between the 24th and 26th May amounted to 2 officers were killed & 6 were wounded, and 192 other ranks were killed, wounded and missing.

Annette

For George C Davies, maybe this MIC for his MM http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=6358269, gazetted 16 November 16, which would make it http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/29827/supplements/11139. Battalion isn't clear on the medal card, but might be 6th. Fortuitously, 6th is confirmed by the main medal card for this man (which spells his name Davis) http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documentsonline/details-result.asp?Edoc_Id=2276018 trio with 15 Star, to Class Z 22 February 1919, entered France 24 July 1915. Nothing in the POW interview records though, and he appears to have ended the war as a serjeant.

Thank you, interestingly enough I checked on Ancestry and they only have the Davis MIC, unlike the National Archives that have both Davies and Davis. I have asked Ancestry what they can do about it as they are different images.

Annette

The information is first class and will certainly add to the small amount of information I have been able to amass locally on this soldier for the family. I don't have time tonight but I will send you a PM tomorrow with an attachment which you might find useful to add to your database. The trench map is also great. I'm now also on the trail of his brother as well. As you can imagine there are not to many Shropshires from my neck of the woods, and your information will certainly fills a gap in my knowledge and I know will be appreciated by the family.

Many thanks, regards, Tommy.

Hi Peter

William Henry Howells papers are on Ancestry

There are three possiblies for George C. Davies Cpl M.M.

11607 L/Cpl. Davies, George, M.M. Gaz. 15-6-17 Landed 22/05/15 5th & 1/K.S.L.I. Class Z Res. 05-04-19. Info. from 14-15 Star Medal Roll, Victory/British Medal Roll & Regt. History.

12165 Sgt. Davies, George, M.M. Landed 24/07/1 6/K.S.L.I. "C" Coy. Certificate for Gallantry 30th-31st August 1916. Class Z Res. 22-02-19 Info. from 1914-15 Star Medal Roll, Victory/British Medal Roll, Regt. History & War Diary. Sorry for repeating David's info. but easyest to just cut and past my info.

Not about next bloke as he is George T and not George C.

35907 Sgt. Davies, George Thomas,M.M. Gaz. 22-07-19(Pengam) Formerly Welsh Regt. 19332 trans. to 1/4/K.S.L.I.

will let you know more later as I have to go to work now.

Annette

Thank you

Downloaded Howells Papers tonight!!

He was from Whitebrook a little village up the road from me.

Thank you, interestingly enough I checked on Ancestry and they only have the Davis MIC, unlike the National Archives that have both Davies and Davis. I have asked Ancestry what they can do about it as they are different images.

Guest samandliz8889

Hi Annette,

Thank you for the information, it pretty much concludes what i though about his whereabouts and the unit he served with. I have been on the ancestry website and it states that he is currently commemorated in at the Ploegsteert memorial on panel 8, would this also be in doubt considering the mix up of service numbers and names? I have been studying these details for a while and a few things didnt add up (like the area of his death considering 1st battalions deployment in the Armentieres region) so the extra information you have provided has cleared alot up so thank you fo all your help.

Kind regards

Liz

Peter, Ancestry don't have the cards that relate specifically to the Military Medal.

Peter, Ancestry don't have the cards that relate specifically to the Military Medal.

I have actually got one soldier with two MIC on Ancestry one detailing his MM and the other his trio. I guess not all were listed.

Peter

Hi Liz

I think 7585 Private William Ernest Thomas and the other six men should be on the Menin Gate and not the Ploegsteert memorial but I doubt the C.W.G.C. will move their names on just the information I have, I am guessing they would need something more solid. Hope one day I or someone will find on of these mens obituary which will state where they were killed.

For anyone out there who may be interested The other mans names are:-

5320 Sgt. Biggs, Thomas, Knockin, Shrops. (Llanfechain) K. in A. 25/05/15. No Known Grave.

8123 Pte. Nagington, Frank, Wellington, Shrops. (Ketley) K. in A. 25/05/15. No Known Grave.

10331 L/Cpl. Phillips, John Charles, Eastleigh, Hants. (Wandsworth, London) K. in A. 25/05/15. Buried in Klein-Vierstraat British Cemetery, Kemmel (VII. A. 7).

5046 Cpl. Thompson, Aloysius Moultrie Robert, Wolverhampton (West Bromwich) K. in A. 26/05/15. No Known Grave.

6333 L/Cpl. Williams, George, Hanley, Staffs. (Burslem) K. in A. 25/05/15. No Known Grave.

8792 Pte. Griggs, John William, Camberwell, London K. in A. 25/05/15. No Known Grave.

Annette

Hi Tommy

Glad to be of help, and looking forward to the PM.

Annette

Hi Peter

I do not have much to add either Wilkins, hope you do not mind but I have added some of your details about them to my database.

13227 Pte. Wilkins, Victor Edwin, enlisted around 7th-9th September 1914 at Monmouth along with 13228 Pte. Howells, William Henry,and 13229 Pte. Hawkins, William Edward. Both Howells & Hawkins both stayed with the Depot until 24-11-14 and then sent to the 9th (Res.) Battalion and then posted to 8th Battalion on 08-10-15 but I not sure if Pte. Wilkins was posted to the 9th Battalion he may have been posted to the 3rd Battalion. Wilkins was posted to the 2nd Battalion and landed in France/Flanders on the 25-08-15. I have not got around to looking at all the wounded lists in the newspapers yet, so do not know what year he was wounded but guessing it was late 1918 but I guess complications can come on many months evan years after a wound.

15634 Pte. Wilkins, Francis William,enlisted around Mid November 1914 going by his number (can I point out here that as a rule men were issued with numbers very soon after joining up and all the near his number who's paper I have enlisted mid November 1914. Now I have come across the odd man here and there that their number does not match the date they enlisted, I am guessing these men's attestment papers were not dealt with straight away because they got misplaced or what ever and so they were issued with Regiment numbers that were issued weeks evan up to a month after they joined. I only point this out so that enlistment dates are not quoted as gospel. I can be more sure of Victor's date because I have the papers of the men either side of him).

Leading up to the German March offensive of 1918, the 6th K.S.L.I. had been camped at Cugny from 6th March 1918, sending it's days digging trenches rear line defences around Annois and Ollezy (war diary records Eiezy. On the 18th March Officers & N.C.O.'s reconnoitred the Bray St. Christophe area, which they would move to once the Germans attacked. At 3.15 p.m. on the 21st March they left Cugny and moved to quarries near Bray St. Christophe. At 11.15 p.m. the 20th Division were ordered to man the Green Line, and the 6th K.S.L.I. moved to a line of half dug trenches between the river Somme at Happencourt and Hill 100 near Fluquiers. "C" Coy were on the right covering the Happencourt- Tugny road, "B" Coy were in the centre at le Tordoir, "D" Coy were on left on Hill 100, and "A" Coy were in support. By mid afternoon the troops in front of the 20th Division had in most cases retired to it's line. By 3.50 p.m. the K.S.L.I.'s line came under attack after heavy shelling, the German troops were assisted by large number of low flying planes firing machine guns into the trenches and dropping bombs. Germans who had earlier crossed the canal near Artemps worked their way down the canal and got into battalion right flank cutting off a platoon, they also managed to cut off a platoon on the left flank, both of which were captured after putting up a fight. The rest of the battalion continued to hold it's ground. By late afternoon the former front line Division's, who were now in or near the Green line were ordered to retire across the Somme, covered by the 20th Division, which would then retire it's self fighting rear guard actions back to Bray St. Christophe-Douilly line. The Irish troops in the K.S.L.I.'s line retired at 7.15 p.m. The 60th Brigade started it's retirement at 7.30 p.m., including the three K.S.L.I.'s in the front line but "A" Coy in support decide to remain in place because it's C.O. had only received an verbal order to withdraw and he wished written orders before carrying out any order. Just at this time a column of Germans were heard advancing down a sunken road from Happencourt, shouting for all they were worth, on doubt thinking no British troops were around. "A" Coy's Lewis gunners opened up on them making them scatter for cover. The order was confirmed and "A" Coy got away aided by a thick mist. The rest of the Battalion had taken up positions between Bray and Aubigny by 8.30 p.m. At 11 p.m..... the Brigade had been ordered to continue it's retirement but at about midnight before it had started the German's attacked breaking into part's of the line. Lt. Welch lead H.Q. to counter attack in front of Aubigny but were driven back by overwhelming numbers, "B" Coy had become cut off and practically whole company taken prisoners. The other companies managed to get away and crossed the Somme at Ham. They continued the fight up until 1st April.

Annette

Hello Annette,

Thank you, we are happy to share, it is all about co-operation and prevent duplication of effort.

We have researched these two as part of a 10 year project on war war dead. You are welcome to the information. I have a death certificate for Victor if you want a copy and some press cuttings,as well as other geneaological bits.

One problem is our local paper Monmouthshire Beacon lost a number o its WWI copies due to a fire on th 70's so no luck there.

What papers would you be looking at then.

Peter

Hi Peter

I do not have much to add either Wilkins, hope you do not mind but I have added some of your details about them to my database.

13227 Pte. Wilkins, Victor Edwin, enlisted around 7th-9th September 1914 at Monmouth along with 13228 Pte. Howells, William Henry,and 13229 Pte. Hawkins, William Edward. Both Howells & Hawkins both stayed with the Depot until 24-11-14 and then sent to the 9th (Res.) Battalion and then posted to 8th Battalion on 08-10-15 but I not sure if Pte. Wilkins was posted to the 9th Battalion he may have been posted to the 3rd Battalion. Wilkins was posted to the 2nd Battalion and landed in France/Flanders on the 25-08-15. I have not got around to looking at all the wounded lists in the newspapers yet, so do not know what year he was wounded but guessing it was late 1918 but I guess complications can come on many months evan years after a wound.

15634 Pte. Wilkins, Francis William,enlisted around Mid November 1914 going by his number (can I point out here that as a rule men were issued with numbers very soon after joining up and all the near his number who's paper I have enlisted mid November 1914. Now I have come across the odd man here and there that their number does not match the date they enlisted, I am guessing these men's attestment papers were not dealt with straight away because they got misplaced or what ever and so they were issued with Regiment numbers that were issued weeks evan up to a month after they joined. I only point this out so that enlistment dates are not quoted as gospel. I can be more sure of Victor's date because I have the papers of the men either side of him).

Leading up to the German March offensive of 1918, the 6th K.S.L.I. had been camped at Cugny from 6th March 1918, sending it's days digging trenches rear line defences around Annois and Ollezy (war diary records Eiezy. On the 18th March Officers & N.C.O.'s reconnoitred the Bray St. Christophe area, which they would move to once the Germans attacked. At 3.15 p.m. on the 21st March they left Cugny and moved to quarries near Bray St. Christophe. At 11.15 p.m. the 20th Division were ordered to man the Green Line, and the 6th K.S.L.I. moved to a line of half dug trenches between the river Somme at Happencourt and Hill 100 near Fluquiers. "C" Coy were on the right covering the Happencourt- Tugny road, "B" Coy were in the centre at le Tordoir, "D" Coy were on left on Hill 100, and "A" Coy were in support. By mid afternoon the troops in front of the 20th Division had in most cases retired to it's line. By 3.50 p.m. the K.S.L.I.'s line came under attack after heavy shelling, the German troops were assisted by large number of low flying planes firing machine guns into the trenches and dropping bombs. Germans who had earlier crossed the canal near Artemps worked their way down the canal and got into battalion right flank cutting off a platoon, they also managed to cut off a platoon on the left flank, both of which were captured after putting up a fight. The rest of the battalion continued to hold it's ground. By late afternoon the former front line Division's, who were now in or near the Green line were ordered to retire across the Somme, covered by the 20th Division, which would then retire it's self fighting rear guard actions back to Bray St. Christophe-Douilly line. The Irish troops in the K.S.L.I.'s line retired at 7.15 p.m. The 60th Brigade started it's retirement at 7.30 p.m., including the three K.S.L.I.'s in the front line but "A" Coy in support decide to remain in place because it's C.O. had only received an verbal order to withdraw and he wished written orders before carrying out any order. Just at this time a column of Germans were heard advancing down a sunken road from Happencourt, shouting for all they were worth, on doubt thinking no British troops were around. "A" Coy's Lewis gunners opened up on them making them scatter for cover. The order was confirmed and "A" Coy got away aided by a thick mist. The rest of the Battalion had taken up positions between Bray and Aubigny by 8.30 p.m. At 11 p.m..... the Brigade had been ordered to continue it's retirement but at about midnight before it had started the German's attacked breaking into part's of the line. Lt. Welch lead H.Q. to counter attack in front of Aubigny but were driven back by overwhelming numbers, "B" Coy had become cut off and practically whole company taken prisoners. The other companies managed to get away and crossed the Somme at Ham. They continued the fight up until 1st April.

Annette

Hi Peter

What papers would you be looking at then

Ludlow Advertiser (not all years), Wellinton & Shrewsbury Journal (not all years) and the Times (not all years) plus the odd other one. This week I have started to look through the Ludlow Adv. from start with 1917 (that being the one years that I have not covered that well) but it's going to be a slow job as I can only spare the odd hour here and there a week.

Annette

Hello Annette,

I wondered whether you have any information regarding a Pte 24837 Andrew Bridg[e]water (spelt variously both with and without an E)? I know he enlisted on 26/6/16, and from the British/Victory Medal Roll know he was in the 7th Btn K.S.L.I. He was discharged on 14/3/19 - There is a code for his cause of discharge 392(XVI)KR, or possibly ITR, but I've been unable to find out what this might mean, would you have any suggestions? The family story is that one of his legs was either shot or blown off, whilst he was "up a telegraph pole" (although quite why he would have been up one I can't imagine)! Can you tell me whether the Ludlow Advertiser lists all such casualties, or only mortal casualties? If the former, I'll certainly pay a visit to Ludlow Library to have a look through any back issues they hold and try and identify a date for this.

Many Thanks,

Ben.

Hi Ben

Welcome to the forum. I am not up to speed with King's Regs so I do not have a clue what 392(XVI)KR, have a look at The Long, Long Trail I am sure there is a section on The King's Regs., if that is no help make a new post in the section of the forum that deals with such Q.

The date 26/6/16 is the date he was mobilized, he could well of enlisted much earlier, a chap a few numbers from Andrew enlisted in November 1915 and like Andrew mobilised on 26-06-16.

The family story is that one of his legs was either shot or blown off, whilst he was "up a telegraph pole" (although quite why he would have been up one I can't imagine)!
he could have been a signaller ? would have had to have gone up telegraph poles to fix lines (more likely behind lines because they tended to run them over ground or under ground near front).
Can you tell me whether the Ludlow Advertiser lists all such casualties
yes but would only have his name amoung a list of names. I have as mentioned started do a full search of the paper, so could let you know once or if I find his name, or if you live near Ludlow you may want to look your self.

Annette