Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Photograph: QF 13-pounder, No. 4 Gun, E Battery, Royal Horse Artillery

Gallia Belgica

I know of a photograph among others showing an Ordnance QF 13-pounder field gun (due to the shorter barrel length), with a caisson attached behind it. A man clearly wearing three stripes, a sergeant, stands beside it.

A 'D' is printed on the caisson in the top left corner and the letters 'E.R.H.A.' and 'Cav.Div.' (Cavalry Division) are printed just above the centre handle.

On the back of the photograph, written in pencil, reads - [The gun that fired first round in the war Aug 21 1914].

If anyone has any additional information on this I would be grateful.

I know of a photograph among others showing an Ordnance QF 13-pounder field gun (due to the shorter barrel length), with a caisson attached behind it. A man clearly wearing three stripes, a sergeant, stands beside it.
A 'D' is printed on the caisson in the top left corner and the letters 'E.R.H.A.' and 'Cav.Div.' (Cavalry Division) are printed just above the centre handle.
On the back of the photograph, written in pencil, reads - [The gun that fired first round in the war Aug 21 1914].
If anyone has any additional information on this I would be grateful.

Welcome to the Forum, and here are details of that gun, and also a photograph.

Regards,

LF

" The first British artillery round on the Western Front in World War I was fired by No. 4 gun of E Battery Royal Horse Artillery on 22 August 1914, northeast of Harmignies in Belgium.

It saw action most famously at the Battle of Le Cateau in August 1914 as the British Expeditionary Force retreated from Mons."

post-63666-0-52454100-1384528115_thumb.j

Thank you for your reply and the information provided.

I am interested to know who the sergeant of E Battery is standing by the 13-pounder. Also whether the 'D' on the caisson does indeed represent the 4th gun (No. 4) gun. There is another photograph of this sergeant with 7 of the crew and a subaltern.

The photograph can be viewed in the attachment below:

Thank you for your reply and the information provided.
I am interested to know who the sergeant of E Battery is standing by the 13-pounder. Also whether the 'D' on the caisson does indeed represent the 4th gun (No. 4) gun. There is another photograph of this sergeant with 7 of the crew and a subaltern.

Here are your photographs, I hope someone knows who he is ?

Regards,

LF

post-63666-0-44717100-1384710992_thumb.j

post-63666-0-81852000-1384711008_thumb.j