Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"Stemming the Tide"

Steven Broomfield

This popped into my inbox, courtesy of those little scamps at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1909384453/ref=pe_205291_41595041_nrn_lm

Anyone have any knowledge of it? I have to say for less than 20 notes it looks worth a punt, but does anyone have any advance thoughts?

I have just started Spencer's book From Boer War to World War: Tactical Rerform of the British Army 1902 - 1914. Stemming the Tide looks like an obvious follow up read. And both should complement Bowman & Connelly's The Edwardian Army (which I have just finished and learned a great deal from).

I know some of the people who have contributed to this, and they are certainly 'proper' historians, so have no doubts this will be an interesting take on the early part of the war. Have also seen Spencer give a couple of talks and he comes across very well. I will certainly get this book when it is released... As you say, Broomers, for £20 instead of the usual £60 for an 'academic' book, this seems like a no-brainer...!

James

And both should complement Bowman & Connelly's The Edwardian Army (which I have just finished and learned a great deal from).

Just reading it: jolly good.

Mrs D is off to some event related to Spencer's book next month. I think the book is the first (of one assumes many) of the new Wolverhampton Military Studies series and the next 2 in the offing look to be likely candidates for a read too 'Theirs Not To Reason Why'. Horsing the British Army 1875-1925 and A Military Transformed? Adaptation and Innovation in the British Military, 1792-1945 (although the latter covers 153 years in just 256 pages).

"Stemming The Tide: Officers and Leadership in the BEF 1914" & "Theirs Not To Reason Why: Horsing the British Army 1875-1925" are getting launched at the University of Wolverhampton on Thursday, 12th December at 7:15pm.

From the pre-launch publicity:

"Stemming The Tide" - "A uniformly excellent collection of essays that underlines the crucial role played by the senior officers of the BEF in preventing a rapid German victory in 1914": - Professor Saul David, University of Buckingham.

"Theirs Not To Reason Why" - "The successes and failure of the Army's horse supply for its two major wars of the period, the Anglo-Boer War and the First World War, were critical to its achievements and to their course and outcome. Without horses, the British Army could not have fought these wars; it really is that simple." - Professor Stephen Badsey, University of Wolverhampton

If Stephen Badsey, Gary Sheffield etc are now going to publish their books through Helion, rather than Ashgate, that has to be a good thing (cost-wise) !!!

"Theirs Not To Reason Why" - "The successes and failure of the Army's horse supply for its two major wars of the period, the Anglo-Boer War and the First World War, were critical to its achievements and to their course and outcome. Without horses, the British Army could not have fought these wars; it really is that simple." - Professor Stephen Badsey, University of Wolverhampton

That does sound interesting. Any idea when it's coming out? Should I warn Mrs B what her ********s present is going to be?

Graham Winton's book most certainly is based on his PhD, and indeed it and Spencer's book are launched officially on 12 December, when the "Wolverhampton War Studies" series kicks off. I'm biased as I'm a PhD student there, but it's an exciting development. Especially if they are priced below the stratospheric prices of Ashgate, etc.

Exciting times at Wolverhampton what with Garry Sheffield arriving, the day schools starting again and this new series.

Hope this anthology brings Spencer the attention he richly deserves - along with his own book. He has been mucked around by some universities I shan't name, it seems (Wolverhampton not one of them). More fool they.

Graham Winton's book most certainly is based on his PhD, and indeed it and Spencer's book are launched officially on 12 December, when the "Wolverhampton War Studies" series kicks off. I'm biased as I'm a PhD student there, but it's an exciting development. Especially if they are priced below the stratospheric prices of Ashgate, etc.

Exciting times at Wolverhampton what with Garry Sheffield arriving, the day schools starting again and this new series.

Hope this anthology brings Spencer the attention he richly deserves - along with his own book. He has been mucked around by some universities I shan't name, it seems (Wolverhampton not one of them). More fool they.

Phil

Absolutely. Wolves' gain is Brum's loss. Are you at tomorrow's day school?

I'll be there - wearing my Forum badge!!

James

I will ask Mrs D to give you a cheery wave, she's going but sadly I am not.

Here's the books contents taken from the Helion website:

Book contents

List of illustrations

List of maps

Abbreviations

Notes on Contributors

Series Preface

Acknowledgements

Introduction by Spencer Jones

GHQ

1 Sir John French and Command of the BEF by Stephen Badsey

2 Major-General Sir Archibald Murray by J.M. Bourne

3 Henry Wilson’s War by Brian Curragh

4 ‘The big brain in the army’: Sir William Robertson as Quartermaster-General by John Spencer

Corps Command

5 The Making of a Corps Commander: Lieutenant-General Sir Douglas Haig by Gary Sheffield

6 Lieutenant-General Sir James Grierson by Mark Connelly

7 ‘A Commander of Rare and Unusual Coolness’: General Sir Horace Lockwood Smith-Dorrien by Spencer Jones and Steven J. Corvi

Divisional Command

8 The Bull and the Fox Terrier: Edmund Allenby and Command in the BEF in 1914 by Simon Robbins

9 An Inspirational Warrior: Major-General Sir Thompson Capper by Richard Olsen

Brigade Command

10 ‘A Tower of Strength’: Brigadier-General Edward Bulfin by Michael LoCicero

11 ‘The Demon’: Brigadier-General Charles FitzClarence V.C. by Spencer Jones

12 David Henderson and Command of the Royal Flying Corps by James Pugh

Command at the Sharp End

13 The Infantry Battalion Commanding Officers of the BEF by Peter Hodgkinson

14 The Company Commander by John Mason Sneddon

15 ‘Amateurs at a professional game’: The Despatch Rider Corps in 1914 by Michael Carragher

Appendix: British Expeditionary Force Order of Battle 1914

Index

Having read 'From Boer War to World War', thoroughly enjoying it, as well as having being lectured by Spencer at the University over the past few years, I am particularly looking forward to reading this and have had it on pre-order for a number of months now.

Jamie.

• 1 month later...

Well, I for one will never complain about Amazon sending e-mails to me!

This was in my Christmas stocking this morning (time was when Mrs B would be in the stockings ...) and I have just read the Chapter by Simon Robbins on Allenby and the Cavalry Division. Excellent. The whole thing looks pretty damned impressive, even Chapter 3. And it's on lovely glossy paper, too!

Well, I for one will never complain about Amazon sending e-mails to me!

This was in my Christmas stocking this morning (time was when Mrs B would be in the stockings ...) and I have just read the Chapter by Simon Robbins on Allenby and the Cavalry Division. Excellent. The whole thing looks pretty damned impressive, even Chapter 3. And it's on lovely glossy paper, too!

A beautiful book to handle, even the front cover is one of my favourite paintings by Barnes Wollen. I went straight to Chapter 7 - Spencer Jones on Smith-Dorrien and am loving it.

An academic book for £20, what's not to like

David

Got my copy signed by Spencer and as many of tne chapter authors I could find at tbe launch. There will be a lot of bad books about 1914 in the next year - this will shine like a diamond in the rough. It is an excellent read and FOUR cheers to Duncan Rogers of Helion for publishing it.

It's a terrific. Modern scholarship at an affordable price. Great things happening at Wolverhampton and as a West Brom supporter I never thought I would say that.

I am sitting by my letterbox...

Bernard

I am sitting by my letterbox...

Bernard

It's well worth the wait

David

PS Coincidentally 'Swansea Pals' has just dropped through mine!!

!!!!!

Currently in last six days of finishing `Swansea in the Great War; 83,000 words, 200 images. Now sorting footnotes and images and captions. Index later...hard slog!

Hope you enjoy the Pals.

Bernard

• 4 weeks later...

I have just finished a copy borrowed from the Hampshire Library and would fully endorse the contributions above. Difficult to compare the quality of the various essayists but I was particularly impressed by the treatment of battalion commanders both regualar and territorial. In total a very fine account of the BEF in 1914.

Old Tom