Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nothing new under the sun

Skipman

There are at least 10 threads titled " Lions led by donkeys or similar, so thought had better not add to them.

From The British Newspaper Archives-Hereford Times.

" Incidents of the war. An Army of Lions Led on by Donkeys-In view of the melancholy bungle made by our Generals, at all events, in the calamitous attempt of the 18th, well may the Russians say as was remarked by one of them on the day of truce-that we are an army of " lions led by donkeys !" For who will say that any of our successes hitherto can be justly attributed to the military skill or forethought of our chiefs?-whilst to their most egregious blundering alone can be ascribed-to say nothing of the grand check involved in a ten months' siege-the only defeat we have sustained.-Letters from the camp. " 21/7/1855

Hot on the heels of " Contemptible little army " it seems there's nothing new under the sun?

Mike

An interesting find Mike, well done. All these finds - how do you find time to sleep ?

Did Alan Clarke acknowledge the source, I wonder ?

An interesting find Mike, well done. All these finds - how do you find time to sleep ?

Did Alan Clarke acknowledge the source, I wonder ?

Cheers SD. I also found an article that attributed the phrase to Napoleon, but I think it is even before his time.

Mike

A similar comment was made in the book "Red tape and pigeon hole Generals" published during the ACW. Truely nothing new!

Mike "THE Librarian"!! Does it again! Great find. Is archive.org your second home?