Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Royal Sussex at Chateau/'Coalbox' Wood Ypres

Jim Hastings

:poppy: Remembering this evening the CO, Lt. Col. H.T. Crispin (killed in action); officers, including former NCO 2/Lt Frederick Marillier DCM (KIA), and 394 Other Ranks from the 2nd Sussex that were killed, wounded or reported missing during the fighting around Chateau Wood, Ypres this day and the following day 99 years ago.

56 men were confirmed Killed in Action or Died of Wounds received on these dates. One was local man L/6303 Pte Frank Brown, remembered on the Menin Gate and Buxted (St Marys) War Memorial.

RIP :poppy:

JH

Not forgotten.

post-101238-0-16302100-1383167982_thumb.

Lest we Forget :poppy:

Keith

:poppy: RIP

Mandy

Nice to put a face to a name yesterday at West Sussex Records Office.

Mandy, Keith and Pete,

Thank you, and good to meet you yesterday too at WSRO Mandy. You were right, it was Marillier's service docs you sent to me some months ago, went through them again this afternoon, plus found many references to him, and this action, in the newspaper cuttings I copied yesterday, along with his DCM citation from when he was a Serjeant. He is referred to with great affection by many of the Ptes and NCOs that had written to their local papers. He was one of two 2nd Sussex NCOs promoted in the field after the Aisne. Think I will try and gather as much info about him as I can over the next year and post something about him on the forum next 30th Oct in tribute. Thank you for your email info too Mandy and the photos.

All the best

Jim