Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Regimental District

msdt

Hi,

I have just obtained a 1903 bayonet marked to the Grenadier Guards. It is dated 12 '03, with '08, '09 and '10 reissue marks. The marking is 2GG 46, with quite big G's. In addition, the same side of the pommel has stamped sideways: 15RD 42.

I believe that this is 15th Regimental District. What is the significance of this mark?

Cheers,

Tony

Not sure about the RD ... it may be an Indian marking, as many P'03s later ended up in service with them, has the blade been blued at all.?

Cheers, S>S

Regimental Districts were formed 1 July 1881 as part of the second phase of the territorialisation scheme for the infantry known as the Childers reforms. Each Regimental District contained all the assets of each of the new regiments (regulars, Volunteers later TF, Depot, Militia later SR) and was usually commanded by a full colonel. The RD number was taken from the senior of the pre-1881 regiments that were formed into the new two battalion regiments in 1881, the first 25 regiments already having two battalions pre-1881. The 15th Regimental District was for the East Yorkshire Regiment whose Depot was in Beverley.

Thanks for the information. Neither mark is struck out, so I assume that the 2 GG mark was the original when the bayonet was new - it is a 1903 dated 1903, and then after the 1907's came in it went into store (08,09,10 marks). But then did it go to the 15th Regimental District inventory? Any further thoughts appreciated.

It's not blued or refinished. Bit of a sleeper actually, very dirty, and in a decent '04 dated 1903 Land Pattern scabbard. V happy when I found it - didn't see the regimental marks until I had it in the daylight. They are visible now as I cleaned the surface rust off with oil and 0000 grade wire wool.

Cheers,

Tony

Sounds like a nice bayonet, and the scabbard would be a very nice find as well. The extra dates are actually reissue dates - upon leaving store, or after repair, etc.

I don't know anything about the various Regimental Districts. You'd have to check if those dates fitted in with the known history ie. the period that certain RD existed.

Cheers, S>S