Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Headstone Crosses Query

John Cubin

Have just returned from an enjoyable stay at Bernafay Wood where I met a Dutch bloke who wanted to know why some headstones have a large cross with integral regimental badge, while others have a smaller, narrow cross. That stumped me, so if anybody has the answer I'd be happy to pass it on (and satisfy my own curiosity). Example below in case I haven't explained it clearly enough.

post-2613-0-85354300-1380024827_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, apologies for the long delay in replying. My (much) better half went into decorating mode which, like Topsy, "grewed and grewed" to include new bedroom furniture. How do they do that?

Anyway, thank you for your responses. When it was decided to replace the wooden crosses with stone headstones, there must have been a decision made as to size and inscription and, as the IWGC's intention was to have uniformity, somehow they were persuaded to have the two different styles of inscription.

I would think that Nigel's comment in post 4 is probably the correct answer. Nothing to do with the speed or cost of production or even 'two different styles of inscription'.

It would be interesting to know how the final design for each regimental badge e.g. large cross, small cross etc was decided and by whom. Is there any original paperwork/correspondence out there?

Paul

I have been given two answers about this when I have asked.

1. The representation of badge above a narrow cross, or within a wider one, was a matter of choice determined by regimental councils.

2. Families/NoK were allowed to choose when asked about headstone inscriptions.

Do all headstones from the same regiment have the same type of cross.

From the example shown above, do all the East Yorkshire Regiment fallen have the wide cross?

Martin

Thanks for input. Stoppage, did those answers come from the CWGC? The first makes sense in that the Regiment, given the choice, would opt for large or narrow cross. Which begs the question - why the choice?

Graeme, I took that headstone photo purely to illustrate this query. I saw that Radford was in the SLI but his number, 15457, should have jumped out at me for my great-uncle was 15795 in the 8th SLI!

Cheers.

Thanks for input. Stoppage, did those answers come from the CWGC? The first makes sense in that the Regiment, given the choice, would opt for large or narrow cross. Which begs the question - why the choice?

Only from local gardeners. I was only mildly curious and never felt the need to verify the reason authoritatively, so please take my comments only in that light.

Sometimes badges are contained within a Reuleaux triangle - a triangle with curved sides - I gather that this was used where no religious symbolism was preferred. This would indicate that family/nok input was requested.

Martin, I was composing (and having a fly cup of tea) when you posted. That's an interesting question. I have seen many headstones of the Tynesiders, for example, and all of those had the small cross. There must have been a template for each regiment (probably computerised nowadays) so it should not be possible for the stonemason to 'accidentally' inscribe the stone incorrectly.

Well, that's the theory - unless, of course, anyone knows differently?