Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

IWM video problems

egbert

ALL IWM footage posted here sucks again. Nothing is in order with these guys. No replies to emails, no fix, just sporadic on and off. If that is their norm-poor performance . They should take the other 17 European film institutes as an example of how to properly run a public enterprise

I have reported this again to the IWM Egbert and I totally understand your frustration. I am really looking forward to viewing the films so let us hope that this is sorted very soon. It is making the IWM look silly which is something that it does not deserve.

Regards

Norman

Added: Sent today to the general IWM email as I cannot find a specific one.

Ref: Viewing films from the collections
I cannot view the above as I was able to do previously. Clicking on the film loads the appropriate screen but completely black and with the message “errors on page”. I understand that you have recently attempted to fix this problem but I can assure you that it is NOT FIXED. For your information prior to this I could view the films with no problem. I am being contacted by others with the same problem. Please advise.

Given that I have no problems but don't use IE I would conclude that the problem lies with the IE browser. Has there been a recent IE update? If so then lambasting IWM when the problem may not lie with them seems not a sensible approach.

Not the browser, never the browser the stock answer to these problems. No updates and the films worked fine until the day other members could not connect with the IWM site.

Norman

Not the browser, never the browser the stock answer to these problems. No updates and the films worked fine until the day other members could not connect with the IWM site.

Norman

So how come I have no problems?

• Admin

Ditto I have no problems either using both Safari and Firefox on a mac so I'd agree the problem appears to be with IE or local settings.

As you can download Firefox for free why not give it a try then at least you'd know.

Ken

To hopefully put this topic to bed, I tried to watch one of the IWM clips earlier, but with no success. An hour later, it worked perfectly. Same PC, same browser, same fingers !! So it would appear that at times the IWM site perhaps gets overloaded. The problem is definitely at their end.

Keith

Our Wonderful Tanks works using Internet Explorer 10 on my Windows 7 laptop. The exact version of IE is 10.09200.16686.

It does not work using Chrome on my Android tablet, a Google Nexus 7.

Norman

IE was subject to a Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer a few days ago.If you have auto update you may not have noticed it happening

It’s a miracle, the films are now working! So IWM must have sorted the problem. I only hope that it stays sorted.

Norman

For some of us they never stopped working

The IWM has intermittent problems. On my inquiry, I received another email from European Gateway institute and they promised me this morning again to remind IWM of their responsibility to get their technical act together in the project.- It does work now!

Given the gratuitously insulting title of this thread (to be regretted) I thought this might be of interest to show some of the work on films they do

http://leedslibtrainees.wordpress.com/useful-links/our-library-visits/imperial-war-museum-film-archive/

1. Compared with all the other 17 European film institutes and public historical societies

1. who agreed to provide digitalized WWI films via the projects website and
  2. who all interlink with the Gateway project and
  3. who have their acts together and do excellent communication on the IWM problem,

the title header is absolutely correct.

2. I do not regret! They do a lousy job- technical and communication like ! And it is insulting for the project lead to let them care about a problem that is inherent to IWM, yes to excuse per emails in lieu of IWM.

3. Is this the standard you allow in the Marches - I don't think so.

4. Good Night

1. Compared with all the other 17 European film institutes and public historical societies

1. who agreed to provide digitalized WWI films via the projects website and
  2. who all interlink with the Gateway project and
  3. who have their acts together and do excellent communication on the IWM problem,

the title header is absolutely correct.

2. I do not regret! They do a lousy job- technical and communication like ! And it is insulting for the project lead to let them care about a problem that is inherent to IWM, yes to excuse per emails in lieu of IWM.

3. Is this the standard you allow in the Marches - I don't think so.

4. Good Night

Sorry Egbert but I still think its inexcusable rudeness (and I'm an expert) and a thread title I'm surprised that the mods allowed.

I've amended the title - the rules do not allow postings "aggressive in tone" and this title certainly is

Alan

Two responses received today from the IWM, posted to clarify any misconceptions.

“I am delighted to confirm that these links have been reestablished and are now working”.

And

“A change has been made and, hopefully, this should solve the problem. Can you try accessing the film again”?

I have of course replied thanking the IWM for their attention to this matter.

Regards

Norman

It does not work using Chrome on my Android tablet, a Google Nexus 7.

Nor mine

Cheers Martin B