Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt. Bruce Bairnsfather's wonderful WW1 cartoons to enjoy

Lancashire Fusilier

Capt. Bruce Bairnsfather ( photo attached ) who served with the Royal Warwickshire Regiment in WW1., although gassed, he survived the war.

If you enjoy his wonderful WW1 cartoons, here is a free download of his book ' Fragments of France ', which contains many great cartoons and drawings by him.

http://www.gutenberg...1-h/25951-h.htm

post-63666-0-74777900-1378428512_thumb.j

Thank LF,

Do you know by chance, where he is buried?

regards

khaki

khaki,

He died 29 September, 1959 in Worcester, so perhaps he is buried there.

Regards.

LF

• 6 months later...

Some years ago, when serving in the local constabulary in the Hereford Worcs. area in the early hours, I attended a burglar alarm. It was at the premises of a RBL Club and thankfully was a false alarm. Whilst checking the premises I noticed some fairly large orginal Bairnsfather cartoons, framed and around the walls of the club. tjhe keyholder noticed my interest and explained that Bruce Bairnsfather had been a member of the RBL Club and had bequeathed the drawings to the club. He had apparently lived locally. Spent quite a time checking the premises out on that occasion.

Tony P

Thanks for letting us know about the book - will look forward to having a browse!

Ant

Thanks for letting us know about the book - will look forward to having a browse!

Ant

His cartoons are excellent, enjoy browing them.

LF

• 5 months later...

Is there any agreement on the location of the farm near which Bairnsfather was wounded? The Holts (experts on Bairnsfather) believe that it was the famous Shelltrap/Mousetrap Farm but another book I consulted thought that it was another farm along Wijngaardstraat nearer the site of Kitchener's Wood. It doesn't matter that much but I like to be accurate!

Mark

It'll be worth you making enquiries through Mark Warby's excellent site. http://www.brucebairnsfather.org.uk/index_files/page0017.htm

Mark has occasionally posted to the forum and is dead helpful - sorting me out copyright permission to use some of the cartoons in my next book and providing high-res copies (small donation required for the latter).

John