Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

"The Military"?

Tom Morgan

I originally asked this question in the "re-enactors" thread but removed it because I thought it might divert Pals' attention from the aims of that thread.

So I'll ask here. Why have so many pals started saying, "The Military" when they mean, "The Army"?

Tom

A good point Tom, I note that here it's common for a veteran to identify themself as having been in the military as a point of introduction, the most notable exception would be the Marines. Sad to say regimental or even divisional association as reference of service seems to be a thing of the past.

regards

khaki

Is it an import from America? I would expect British servicemen to say "I was in the Army/Navy/RAF" or possibly Marines, or even "I was in the Forces" which was commoner in my younger days.- when in fact most adult men had been.

Ron

A good point Tom, I note that here it's common for a veteran to identify themself as having been in the military as a point of introduction, the most notable exception would be the Marines. Sad to say regimental or even divisional association as reference of service seems to be a thing of the past.

regards

khaki

I don't agree. Regimental association as reference of service is most definitely alive and well. As for divisions, we've only got 2 left.

Agree with gareth regarding regimental associations: divisional is much a wartime thing, I'd say so with the passage of time it stands to reason WW2 divisional associations will die out (literally).

Regarding "The Military" I don't know. It seems to me to have been around a long time, but I'd vaguley assumed it covered "The Services" as a whole.

Possibly first used by civilians? A chap I knew years ago described Earl's Court Exhibition centre as having been "taken over by the military" shortly before the Royal Tournament.

I think it depends who is using the word. In theory I think Steven is right, it applies to all but a quick straw poll (sample size 1 sailor) suggests that sailors (or more correctly a sailor) wouldn't refer to themselves (herself) as being in the military.

I don't agree. Regimental association as reference of service is most definitely alive and well. As for divisions, we've only got 2 left.

Hello Gareth, In my post the reference to 'here' meant in the USA, not the UK or this forum, sorry,

khaki

Hello Gareth, In my post the reference to 'here' meant in the USA, not the UK or this forum, sorry,

khaki

No, the apologies should be mine. I need to RTFQ more carefully.