Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Anyone got this book?

Milan

Uh-oh... my first thread... feelin' nervous.

Wotcha fellas,

Sorry if this post is in the wrong section of the forum, but I couldn't possibly post it in the "Book reviews" section as it is obviously not a review.

Anyhow, the book is "Zeppeline der kaiserlichen marine 1914 bis 1918" by Heinz Urban. Sounds good: hardcover, 628 pages, 780 photographs, many unseen before. But I couldn't find a single review online (except for the description on mr. Urban's museum site), and I'd like to know a bit more about it before I part ways with my 70 euros. I don't know if mr. Urban's museum even have it in stock anymore (I've emailed them two days ago, still no answer) - the text here says there are only 2000 copies:

http://www.zeppelinmuseum.eu/Homepage-eu/seiten-d/seite05/presse04.htm

So, anyone here have this book? Would you recommend it? My German is so-so, I already have mr. Robinson's great book "Zeppelin in combat" anyway and I'm more interested in those photographs here.

Kind regards from Serbia, Milan

Some photos of the book found online:

61ZxyXJNIKL.jpg61Sh7%2B8uHSL.jpg51UHTHiZkIL.jpg61amyP84KWL.jpg61-iGr2vcLL.jpg

If you don't mind paying a small amount of money you may be able to persuade your local public library to get it for you as an inter-library loan.

Oh - sorry - just noticed that you are not in the UK! Still, it might be worth asking a public or a university library how you might be able to look at a copy.

PS: http://www.nb.rs

• 2 weeks later...

Back to the topic - I've sent another email few days ago to that zepp museum site, again no reply. No feedback from this board either with over 200 views of the thread, so the book is obviously unknown, methinks I'll pass this one.

• 4 months later...

Hi Milan

I've heard about the book before but don't know anyone who has it. I will be interested to hear what you think about it when it arrives.

However, I have just looked at that link and I think it will cost a bit more than you think. That 3 Euros mentioned on the website is for packaging materials, not the shipping costs. It appears they are calculated by the seller based on the country of destination and customs costs. But I hope they keep costs down as much as possible. Good luck.

Ian

Wotchyer Ian

"That 3 Euros mentioned on the website is for packaging materials, not the shipping costs."

- hm, you're right. It was too good to be true. I've sent an email to them, be interesting to see how much the shipping will cost, I only ever ordered books from Amazon and it was always £9.18 (11 euros). Amazon.de circa 20 euros. Anyhow, it's our customs that I always worry about... thanks for the help Ian.

Edit: they replied - 30 euros shipping.

• 5 weeks later...

Well, mr. Urban finally answered so I've ordered the book from the author himself (cancelled the previous order at 'airship shop', long story), for the original price (69.90 euros)... should be here in a week, hopefully.

In the meantime, this looks interesting (couldn't find any info here using the 'search' option), to be released in march:

513BC8TTn%2BL._.jpg

"Major Georg Paul Neumann was a former German Air Force officer who had served in the Great War. He produced his outstanding survey of the German Air Force in 1920 while the events were still recent history. He was able to draw on his own experience and his contacts to compile a large number of personal accounts from officers and men who had so recently fought in the cause. The result is an accurate, faithful and comprehensive review of the aircraft, personnel and organization of the force which began life in 1910 as the Imperial German Army Air Service and ended the war as the Luftstreitkräfte.

This comprehensive and compelling review includes a series of primary sources dealing with some of the unusual and lesser known aspects of the Luftstreitkräfte including a gripping account of defending a Zeppelin against attack by British fighters.

Major Neumann’s indispensable work has never been surpassed and this English language translation is essential reading for anyone with an interest in the realities of the war in the air in the Great War."

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-German-Airforce-Knew-1914-1918/dp/1783463139

http://www.pen-and-sword.co.uk/The-German-Air-Force-I-Knew-1914-1918/p/6182/

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick post and I'm off to work - "Zeppeline der kaiserlichen marine 1914 bis 1918" arrived this morning, looks (and weighs) absolutely breathtaking; it dwarfed "Zeppelin in combat" on my bookshelf, which I didn't think was possible; tons of rare & previously unpublished photos - money well spent.

Result! I'm very pleased for you.

Just a quick post and I'm off to work - "Zeppeline der kaiserlichen marine 1914 bis 1918" arrived this morning, looks (and weighs) absolutely breathtaking; it dwarfed "Zeppelin in combat" on my bookshelf, which I didn't think was possible; tons of rare & previously unpublished photos - money well spent.

Oh no! Now I'm going to have to order one!!!