Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Victoria, British Columbia

BereniceUK

At the WWII memorial at Oak Bay, Victoria.

post-89807-0-32436200-1375625148_thumb.j

and the only CWGC headstone in Victoria's Jewish Cemetery at Oaklands.

15041 Private Joseph L. Vince

post-89807-0-81798300-1375625126_thumb.j

Hello BereniceUK,

Thank you for the great photos, magnificent statue and memorial, I have not seen it before.

regards

khaki

The RCR maintained a company station ("L" Coy) at Esquimalt between 1914 and 1917. This was commanded by Capt EA Seely-Smith.

Vince's death occurred before The RCR switched to the CEF service number system in late 1915, so he has a Permanent Force regimental number. He was identified as "Died of Disease or Accident" in the Regiment's Honour Roll in the 1936 regimental history. Vince was likely being prepared for a reinforcement draft for the Regiment when he died, but may not have progressed to the point of having a service record established in Ottawa for him, which would mean he would not have been picked up in the Library and Archives Canada's processes for their CEF soldiers database. The RCR was serving in Bermuda at the time of his death, and the Regiment did not complete the CEF Attestation Papers for Overseas Service in Europe until August 1915.

Vince is recorded in the Canadian Virtual War Memorial here: http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/collections/virtualmem/Detail/420963

I found Vince listed in a regimental enrolment ledger in The Royal Canadian Regiment Museum:

He enlisted at Esquimalt on 19 Oct 1914 at the age of 35. He reported his trade as "salesman" and place of birth as Ballarat, Australia. Unfortunately, the ledger only notes the date of his death at Esquimalt without offering the cause.

For those interested there is a CWGC cemetery at Ross Bay Cemetery in Victoria with, I believe 130 or so Great War graves.

I found Vince listed in a regimental enrolment ledger in The Royal Canadian Regiment Museum:

He enlisted at Esquimalt on 19 Oct 1914 at the age of 35. He reported his trade as "salesman" and place of birth as Ballarat, Australia. Unfortunately, the ledger only notes the date of his death at Esquimalt without offering the cause.

Post #7 in this linked thread http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=94357&hl=comor highlights someone else who had travelled abroad as a salesman in 1914. So Joseph Vince may have only been in Canada through temporary work rather than having moved there permanently.