Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pvte Harry Maxfield CR ?

Ellis1918

While walking through Ulley village near Rotherham S Yorks today I came across the WW1 memorial showing only 3 names - Bartle , Maxfield & Sigsworth. I looked on CWGC and found Bartle - Pvte Frederick William 21st battn Manchester Reg and Sigsworth - Gunner Frederick RFA 312th brigade B battery but cannot find Pvte Harry Maxfield CR ? I found his first name from the Aston cum Aughton History society site but they just have him as "died WW1 " I presume the CR refers to either Connaught Rangers or possibly Cheshire Regiment and have found MIC for those servicemen

He appears in the 1911 Rotherham census born 1893 and there is a death recorded in 1920 aged 28

Has anyone come across the name or could it be a non-commemoration ?

Possibly

5/3640 Harry Maxfield of the Connaught Rangers

Enlisted 3/9/1914 and discharged sick on 14/8/1918 - 26 years and 105 days (age fits the death record).

Craig

Thank you gentlemen - Connaught Rangers are a good bet a contingent of about 350 men from Yorkshire were transferred across rather then joining the local York and Lanc regiment

Edited by Ellis1918

There is a 1901 census record for Harry Maxfield age 8 born Ulley Yorkshire. I too think the Connaught Ranger the most likely. Is this a case of non-commemoration? A 1920 war related death is within the scope of cwgc.

John

Thank you Archangel - I will take a stroll in the Churchyard to see if there is a Maxfield family grave

There's also this chap from your neck of the woods....

MAIN, BERT ALBERT. Rank: Private. Service No: 20494. Date of Death: 08/03/1916. Age: 23.

Regiment/Service: Leicestershire Regiment. 2nd Bn.

Panel Reference: Panel 12. Memorial: BASRA MEMORIAL

Additional Information: Son of Hubert and Julia Main, of 2, Thames Villa, Vange, Pitsea, Essex; husband of Florence May Fish (formerly Main), of The Poplars, Ulley, Sheffield.

Thank you Kevin - Ulley is the next village to mine and in the 1911 census had a male poplation of 63 out of a total poplation of 137. The memorial is on the wall of Ulley Grange and lists the 3 village men who died and 13 who survived .

Albert Main does not appear on the memorial Presumably his widow moved into the village after remarrying

Albert Main married Florence Bacon Dec qtr 1912 in Worksop . Widow Florence married George Fish Sep qtr 1918 in Rotherham

• 4 weeks later...

Possible non commemoration but this would need a DC

I can find no obvious service or pension files on ancestry so this would be very dependant on the wording on the DC

A check with IFCP shows that no one else has submitted the case yet

Chris

Hi,

His regimental number would place him with a draft of 534 men from the York & Lancs Regiment at Pontefract who arrived at the 5th Battalion on 11 Sept 1914.

Regards Mark

Possible non commemoration but this would need a DC

I can find no obvious service or pension files on ancestry so this would be very dependant on the wording on the DC

A check with IFCP shows that no one else has submitted the case yet

Chris

Hi Chris,

Yes I searched for any service/pension records on Ancestry but found nothing either. Not surprised as almost all 5th Bn. Connaught Rangers records are missing. I am thinking about ordering the DC but I wonder what are the chances of it recording a war related death?

John

Hi John

Also answered on the thread you started on the non comms section

Cheers

Chris

I have searched the Church yards in Ulley and Aston and there are no Maxfield graves .

• 6 years later...

There are pension records on Fold3 for Pte Harry Maxfield 5/3460 Connaught Rangers. Address was Ulley nr. Sheffield, nok his mother Rebecca Maxfield. He died on 21 June 1920 apparently from pulmonary tuberculosis, unfortunately the records do not say if this was due to or aggravated by military service.

PaulC78    Thank you for your response to this post from 2013.

Hi Ellis....I've been having a look at this. I'm fairly local to you...my Grandad was from Catclffe originally so I'm always interested in our local lads.

I have a couple of different potential service numbers for Harry....as below for his Silver War Badge entitlement and 3460.

Harry Maxfield

Service number5/1960

RankPrivate

Badge number434408

Enlistment date03-Sep-1914

Discharge date14-Aug-1918

Regiment/unitThe Connaught Rangers

Cause of dischargeSickness - 392 (xvi) King's Regulation

Whether served overseasYes

Badge date of issue07-Aug-1918

Age on discharge26

I've trawled the British Newspaper Archive for Maxfield references in Ulley, Catcliffe, Brampton, Aughton,Treeton etc but to no avail, although there are Maxfields in Handsworth, Rawmarsh and Sheffield itself.

His parents were still in the area in 1939 at 3 Aughton Road Estate.

I find it difficult to believe he had four years of war and never got a mention somewhere in the papers, but the most likely publication would be The South Yorkshire Times which never seems to be well represented in the BNA.

Unfortunately I haven't the time to do it at the moment but a visit to the library  and plough through the SY Times microfiche might bear fruit...it's available in Doncaster, Mexborough and Conisbrough so might well be in your closest library.

Thanks for this Sadbrewer.   It was 6 years ago that I was researching the Ulley and Whiston memorials and that project has now been completed and submitted to the local Church.  Thanks for looking.