Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Royal Sussex, Aubers Ridge 9th May 1915

Jim Hastings

Remembering the fallen, wounded and missing of 2nd Bn The Royal Sussex Regiment at the Battle of Aubers Ridge, Sunday 9th May 1915.

That fateful day was arguably the worst for 2 RSR during their entire war service: the War Diary indicates 14 officer and 548 OR casualties - from c.850 fighting men. 268 are listed as killed on SDGW, although there are more names to be added to those figures. 93% (Miller, We Wunt Be Druv) of those killed have no known grave and are commemorated on Le Touret Memorial.

The Bn covered a 400 yd frontage to the left of the 'Cinder Track' at Richebourg L'Avoue (the same area Lowther's Lambs, Royal Sussex 'Pals' were to be slaughtered upon on 30th June 1916, Battle of Boar's Head). Tea and rum were passed around at 0330hrs. The bombardment of German positions, about 300 yards away, began at 0500 and intensified at 0530. 9 and 11 platoons of C Coy (on the right) and 15 and 16 platoons of D Coy (on the left) scrambled over the parapet, followed by the second wave of their remaining platoons. The plan was to form up midway in no-man's-land and assault the German positions when the barrage lifted at 0540, followed up by A Coy (right) and B Coy (left) but many had already succumbed to German sniper, rifle and MG fire - the Germans having been alerted to the attack by the barrage and by their lookouts. Under the withering fire some assaulted to within 40 yds of the German positions - finding the German wire unbroken and their defences intact. Enfilading MG fire claimed many, especially when the Munsters withdrew and exposed their flank. The WD mentions one man reaching the enemy parapet ...

At 0630 the order to withdraw was given. Many of the wounded lay out in no man's land until nightfall. At 1930 the Bn marched to Les Choquaux and the roll call indicated:

Officers 2 KIA, 9 wounded, 3 missing

ORs 101 KIA, 329 wounded, 118 missing

As ever the missing would add to the killed and wounded.

2 RSR had suffered heavy losses in 1914, especially at the Aisne 14th Sept and 1st Ypres 30/31st Oct (where the Germans dubbed it the 'Iron Regiment' for standing fast) and Aubers Ridge would see the loss of many of its remaining pre-war Regulars, as would Loos on 25th Sept.

Aubers Ridge, like many of the 1915 battles, is a forgotten battle (as highlighted in the 27th April post by Chris, Victoria Burbidge and Andy Pay and others re: Fromelles) and was officially considered "a serious disappointment" (what an understatement!!). Many battalions were destroyed in this area in 1915, and although I have focused on my interest, 2 Royal Sussex, they must not be forgotten.

At this time 98 years ago they had taken over the Black Watch in the front line ready for the following day, the last evening many would have. Some were local lads: Aubrey (the village schoolmaster) and Jack Brooks; William Carr; Leslie Carter; Charles Curd and William Wood and it is to their memory, and to the memory of the fallen and wounded of 2 Royal Sussex, and to the memory of the fallen from other Bns on 9th May 1915 that I make this post. Thanks for reading.

RIP and may they not be forgotten

JH

(My information is from 2 RSR WD; Battleground Europe Aubers Ridge by E. Hancock and We Wunt Be Druv by H. Miller, plus my own humble research)

Thanks Nick,

As ever, apt and outstanding!

Remembering those wounded laying out in no man's land waiting for darkness and those succumbing to their injuries, amongst their fallen comrades.

Not forgotten

Now for some more Sussex by the Sea methinks ....

Jim

Do not forget either:

the men of 1/5th Royal Sussex (Cinque Ports) battalion.

They were the second wave and had to advance over their fallen county brethren.

Two battalions of the same Regiment, advancing over the identical piece of ground on the same day and being decimated as the 2nd had been.

That took some guts.

Simon

Not forgotten Simon, and on 30th June 1916 the lads of 11th, 12th and 13th Royal Sussex (Lowther's Lambs) fell around that Cinder Track during the Battle of Boar's Head. More 'Sussex' men spilt their blood on those few acres than anywhere else on the Western Front, or beyond.

Jim

• Admin

Thank you for remembering this neglected battle- I have been thinking of the area and action all day

Michelle

A dreadful day. The 2nd West Sussex diary for the 9th reads like a horror story written in such dispassionate way that only adds to the unreal nature of the description. Men doing their duty and dying in large numbers as a result.

Jim

Aubers has always fascinated me Michelle, long before I found a distant relative was wounded there with the Northants.

So many famous regiments suffered there, but so few have heard of Aubers and so many history books bypass it or give it cursory coverage. The forgotten/neglected battles interest me greatly, and I feel they must not fade into the mists of time.

Aubers, as Simon states, was the only time 5th Sussex performed a Bn attack in the war, converting to pioneers soon afterwards. Their CO marched them off the field of battle smartly to the applause of 2nd Sussex and the other 2nd Bde Bns.

My copy of Hancock is often dipped into and I often think of the Battle of Aubers - I live in a 5th Sussex recruitment area, and many local men joined 2nd Sussex and the Lambs. 9th May 1915 is a frequent date on our local war memorials.

All the very best

Jim

• Admin

Jim and all the other posters,

The village of Aubers itself has not forgotten and till maintains a strong tie to Sussex.

post-32914-0-88976100-1368210285_thumb.j

• Admin

I somehow managed to miss getting a close up but hte wreath on the right is from the Twinning Committee on behalf of Wadhurst and the people of Sussex.

Glen

PS Can anyone notice something unusual about the soldier portrayed?

post-32914-0-13298900-1368210429_thumb.j