Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

POLITICAL on an attestation form

rolt968

Does anyone know the significance of the word POLITICAL (countersigned by a JP), stamped on an attestation form.

I had been told about two or three examples, but only ran across one myself a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately I don't have it to hand, but I think it was from before conscription.

R.

Roger, I don't know if the following will answer your question, but here it is anyway.

Anne

The Scotsman, Edinburgh, 18 August, 1914.

THE CALL FOR MEN.

Kinloch, Fife, August 17, 1914.

SIR,—While we may all feel justly proud of the splendid public spirit shown by the munificent contributions to the National Fund for the relief of distress which may hereafter arise out of the war, and to the Red Cross Associations for giving succour to the wounded in the war, it is even more urgent to keep in mind that the more promptly we can supply men to fight the fewer will be the wounded, the less the distress, and the shorter the War. Now of the readiness, or rather the eagerness, of the manhood of the nation to fight we have full assurance in the noble response to Lord Kitchener's call which is being given in all our large towns.

But the towns are only a small part of the country. The rural districts, which form the larger part, and would certainly furnish the best material, are left untouched, because no machinery is provided for stimulating or even allowing recruiting in them. As a concrete example, in the district in which I live if a young ploughman or artisan desires to enlist, and goes, as he is directed, to the nearest Post Office for information what to do, he is merely informed that he must apply to the recruiting officer in a town a dozen miles distant. Probably he has neither the time nor money to go; if he should have both, he may be deterred by the apprehension that after taking the trouble he may be rejected for some physical defect of which he knows nothing, and the consequence is that an efficient recruit is lost to the Army. The mischief has in a few cases been remedied by the transmission to the secretaries of the local political Associations of a batch of the attestation forms and railway passes, but even then it is left to them to find an examining doctor and an attesting Justice of the Peace, and neither they nor the recruit may have the time.

It is clear that all these duties should be performed by Government officers, and that there should be one charged with it in every village. Where a regular recruiting office cannot be opened, the postmaster should be directed to undertake the functions. I have been assured by one of them that he would be most willing to perform them, and that he is sure that all his fellow officials would be equally ready. They should be also authorised to secure the attendance of a doctor at a fixed hour morning and evening, as well as of a J.P., so that there should be no delay in examining, attesting, and passing on every recruit. As soon as these facilities are provided public meetings might be held in every parish to make them known, to rouse public spirit, and so to fill with the utmost speed the ranks of the new Army which Lord Kitchener has called for. The finest materials in the world are ready to our hand. It is for the Government to permit, their use.—I am, &c.

J. BOYD KINNEAR.

This has been discussed previously on the forum. Not my area or interest, so I don't remember the answer. Unfortunately a quick search by me was unsuccessful. Maybe you'll have more luck with a detailed search.

Thank you.

At the third search attempt I finally tracked down one:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=115312&hl=+political%20+attestation#entry1102058

It doesn't come to any actual conclusion. I have heard the arguments about trade union activists and conscientious objectors before.

Has anyone any more up to date information?

R.

Roger, from your link do you think the "political" refers to attestations in Scotland? My quote earlier from the Scotsman is the only one I have come across.

Anne

Roger, from your link do you think the "political" refers to attestations in Scotland? My quote earlier from the Scotsman is the only one I have come across.
Anne.

Hello Anne,

The example I was looking at was in Scotland. Annoyingly at the moment I can't put my hand on it!

R.

Roger, these are another two reports, both Scottish:

The Scotsman, 20 November, 1914.

RECRUITING IN GLASGOW.

An appeal was issued yesterday in Glasgow for young men to complete the Territorial units. It draws attention to the fact that the service is an honourable one, and that the men at the front have received very high praise from Lord Kitchener and Sir John French.

The Territorial Association issued figures showing that for the week ended Wednesday there were 444 recruits for home and foreign service, against 513 the previous week. The deficiency to be filled up is now 4209.

The political agencies, in addition to dealing with enlistments for Kitchener's Army, are also to recruit for the following Territorial Units:—Glasgow Royal Engineers, 5th, 7th, and 8th Scottish Rifles, and 5th, 6th, and 7th Highland Light Infantry.

Motor cyclists have responded well to the appeal for recruits for a Motor machine-gun service, and the War Office have been asked to sanction the raising of a third battery. The second contingent of recruits will leave for London to-day. Each battery consists of 90 men.

Yesterday the number of enlistments at the recruiting office in Gallowgate was 107. About 50 were through the political agencies.

The Scotsman, 14 August, 1914.

LORD KITCHENER'S NEW ARMY.

JOINT ACTION BY THE POLITICAL PARTIES IN SCOTLAND

Owing to tho great influx of recruits and the consequent strain upon the ordinary agencies of the Army recruiting service, it is difficult to cope with the numbers who are presenting themselves for enlistment.

By desire of Lord Kitchener, Sir J. Spencer Ewart, the Officer Commanding-in-Chief in the Scottish. Command, has, therefore, placed himself in communication with the political parties with the idea of utilising their widespread organisation for the purpose of expediting matters. It is understood that General Ewart is sending out a letter to the Lords-Lieutenants and to the Chairmen of County Territorial Associations in Scotland, announcing that their efforts will be supplemented by an organisation which has been unanimously agreed to by the Executives of both the great political parties in Scotland. Each local Association, Radical or Unionist, will constitute itself a “collecting centre for recruits." It is hoped that by Saturday morning each of these "centres," which will number more than 1000, will be equipped with a Justice of the Peace to attest the oaths of recruits, a doctor to examine them, a supply of all the necessary forms, and travelling warrants for the free conveyance by rail of recruits to the nearest depot. Recruits from the "collecting centres” will not proceed to the ordinary recruiting offices, but direct to the regimental depot.

If this scheme is put smartly into force by the local party officials, it is believed that the quota due from Scotland for the new Army may be complete at the depots on Monday, or very soon afterwards. Several thousand recruits are still needed if this is to be achieved. A joint-committee representing the two parties will have supervision of the scheme, in consultation with the Staff of the Scottish Command.

The offices of the joint-committee are at 95 Princes Street, Edinburgh, and 100 Wellington Street, Glasgow. It is hoped that full instructions will be in the hands of the local secretaries within the next few hours.

This is possibly the answer. It is interesting that they were recruiting for TF battalions as well as New Army.

It must have been very confusing. There was:
"Normal" New Army recruiting (which was certainly chaotic in the early stages)
Recruiting through the Territorial Associations
"Civic" recruiting
Recruiting though interest groups (Sportsmen, etc.)
Recruitment through political organisations.

The POLITICAL stamp seems to have appeared at least as late Sep 1915. (There is one quoted in the other discussion.)

The only cases I have heard of were in Lowland Scotland.

I have heard that "POLITICAL" meant some form of compulsory recruitment before.
However while I have read accounts from conscientious objectors about their compulsory recruitment, I have never come across an account of anyone who was compulsorily recruited for any other reason, which is a bit odd if they were political activists.

Has anyone else?

R.