Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Officer, B B Battery, Royal Horse Artillery. Kia 1915

Old Owl

Hi All,

Whilst researching an officer of the RHA who was killed during WW1, I came across a reference that he was present at the Coronation of King George V whilst serving with BB Battery RHA.

I wonder if he was awarded the Coronation Medal for this? Does anyone have a copy of the roll? His name is Charles Francis Ward and he would have been a Lieutenant at the time of the Coronation in 1911. There is also a reference to him as being present at the Coronation of Edward VII in 1902 whilst a cadet at the RMC Sandhurst, would he have received a medal for this?

Any help gratefully received.

Robert

as later RHA he would have been at RMA Woolwich presumably (?) - in Aug 1902 for the coronation 2 companies of RMA cadets were used for road lining at Buckingham Palace (alongside RMC Sandhurst cadets) - I have seen no record of cadets getting coronation medals for either and would not think they would qualify - none of the cadets I know of from 1911 got one, although attended near Westminster Abbey

Captain Charles Francis Ward was the only son of Charles Ward, FRCS of Pietermaritzburg. He was educated at Marlborough College and RMA Woolwich. Commissioned in December 1903. Lieutenant, December 1906 and Captain in October 1914. Served in the South African War in 85th Battery, RFA and in India with BB Battery, RHA. Was present at the Coronation of King Edward II and of King George V.

He went to France and Flanders with 75th Battery, RFA and was killed in action by a sniper on 16 May 1915 while a Forward Observation Officer.

I cannot find him in the roll for either the 1911 or 1935 Coronations. I do not have the roll for the 1902 Coronation.

Dick Flory

as later RHA he would have been at RMA Woolwich presumably (?) - in Aug 1902 for the coronation 2 companies of RMA cadets were used for road lining at Buckingham Palace (alongside RMC Sandhurst cadets) - I have seen no record of cadets getting coronation medals for either and would not think they would qualify - none of the cadets I know of from 1911 got one, although attended near Westminster Abbey

Many thanks for your help. I realise that you will be correct in saying that he was at the RMA rather than the RMC. Possibly the criteria for being awarded a medal for the Coronation was to have been part of the procession, rather than those lining the way?

Robert

Captain Charles Francis Ward was the only son of Charles Ward, FRCS of Pietermaritzburg. He was educated at Marlborough College and RMA Woolwich. Commissioned in December 1903. Lieutenant, December 1906 and Captain in October 1914. Served in the South African War in 85th Battery, RFA and in India with BB Battery, RHA. Was present at the Coronation of King Edward II and of King George V.

He went to France and Flanders with 75th Battery, RFA and was killed in action by a sniper on 16 May 1915 while a Forward Observation Officer.

I cannot find him in the roll for either the 1911 or 1935 Coronations. I do not have the roll for the 1902 Coronation.

Dick Flory

Many thanks Dick,

He was at Marlborough College from April, 1898 until March, 1901, but I am not sure that he served in the South African War? He may have served in South Africa following him being commissioned and he must have been a cadet at the RMA in June 1902, in order to have taken part at the coronation. Did he serve as a ranker? The October,1914, A.L. does not mention any previous war service.

His entry in the Bond of Sacrifice says: "He served with the 85th Battery in South Africa and India, and with BB Battery, Royal Horse Artillery." There is no mention of war service or medals, ie QSA.

Do you have any further clarification on this point?

Many thanks,

Robert

PS Do you have any further information on BB Battery RHA?

Robert: You are correct that he served in South Africa but not in the South African War - my hands got ahead of my brain! In July 1910 Ward was serving with 85th Battery, RFA at St Thomas' Mount; in June 1911 he was serving with BB Battery, RHA at St John's Wood; in May 1912 he was with BB Battery, RHA at Potchefstroom, Transvaal; and in July 1913 he was Q Battery, RHA at Leeds (for Sialkot) (BB Battery, RHA was disbanded on 8 May 1913).

Regards, Dick

Robert: You are correct that he served in South Africa but not in the South African War - my hands got ahead of my brain! In July 1910 Ward was serving with 85th Battery, RFA at St Thomas' Mount; in June 1911 he was serving with BB Battery, RHA at St John's Wood; in May 1912 he was with BB Battery, RHA at Potchefstroom, Transvaal; and in July 1913 he was Q Battery, RHA at Leeds (for Sialkot) (BB Battery, RHA was disbanded on 8 May 1913).

Regards, Dick

Hi Dick,

Thanks very much for coming back to me on this, I was a little perplexed when you reported that he had served in the Boer War, although it would have been just about possible judging from the time difference from when he left school to being a cadet at the RMA, circa 12 months-ish??

Many thanks for the additional info on BB Battery RHA.

Regards, Robert