Statistics of the military effort of the British Empire

Skipman

For best results

Right click on PDF

dlp9ia.jpg

Left click on Save link as

34ilgee.jpg

Save as document

It might take a minute or two. I have quite a fast connection speed, so took about a minute.

Mike

I have the reprint (London Stamp Exchange, about 1990) which cost a mind-boggling £85 back then. Great browsing material.

• 3 weeks later...

I've just bought an even more mind-bogglingly expensive original edition for £249 (yes I know, more money than sense but I don't know if the reprint has all the fold-out charts). However it is a truly remarkable work. It contains just about every piece of information you could want on the war from how many recipients there were for every medal type (only 1 man won the MM 4 times) to how many pairs of woolen underwear were issued - 40,097,483 pairs! There are also some rather more sombre facts. Regarding executions, just under 11% of those Imperial troops condemned were actually executed whereas from the Native Labour Corps 77% of the Chinese & 100% of the 'Coloured' were put to death.

The disparity between the total of deaths it tabulates ( 947,000?) and the CWGC figure in excess of 1.1 million troubles me somewhat.

I know the time span was different, but not enough to accout for a disparity of about one sixth, surely ?

Phil (PJA)

Regarding executions, just under 11% of those Imperial troops condemned were actually executed whereas from the Native Labour Corps 77% of the Chinese & 100% of the 'Coloured' were put to death.

This was a " White Man's" war. Why, I ask, did they decide to reprieve so many of the Chinese ? What were the absolute numbers ?

Phil (PJA)

The disparity between the total of deaths it tabulates ( 947,000?) and the CWGC figure in excess of 1.1 million troubles me somewhat.

I know the time span was different, but not enough to accout for a disparity of about one sixth, surely ?

Phil (PJA)

I don't have my copy of Statistics to hand but I recall that many (most?) of the tables don't include the RN and (Edit) Merchant Marine and RND etc..... Also some tables exclude Overseas Dominions etc..... Not sure if the 947,0000 includes these. The CWGC data would of course include everyone in theory. MG

This was a " White Man's" war. Why, I ask, did they decide to reprieve so many of the Chinese ? What were the absolute numbers ?

Phil (PJA)

2,690 Imperial Troops were sentenced to death of whom 291 were executed. From the Native Labour Corps: 13 Chinese were sentenced with 10 being carried out & for 'Coloured' 4 were sentenced & executed. From the total number of executions only 3 were officers, 2 for desertion & 1 for murder.

I don't have my copy of Statistics to hand but I recall that many (most?) of the tables don't include the RN and Mercantile Marine and RND etc..... Also some tables exclude Overseas Dominions etc..... Not sure if the 947,0000 includes these. The CWGC data would of course include everyone in theory. MG

From memory, Martin, the Statistics give 908,000 dead in the Army, 32,000 in the Navy and 7,000 in the RAF. The addition of some fifteen thousand for the Merchant Marine would stll leave us 150,000 short of the CWGC total. They weren't on the radar of the Statistics, apparently. I notice that data from CWGC do not correlate with official casualty returns for the big battles. Not that I would expect them to be in exact agreement. The registers of the CWGC tend to give rather larger totals of dead in the Somme and Passchedaele than the official statistics for those battles imply, although the disparity is not too great. Do you have the CWGC figures for Gallipoli ? Those buried or commemorated there would not include men who died from wounds in hospitals in Egypt, Malta or Lemnos. It would be revealing to see how they compare with data from the Medical Statisitcs.

Phil (PJA)

• 11 months later...

Hi, My name is Ronan McGreevy from The Irish Times. I will be covering many of the issues surrounding the centenary of The Great War. I have found this forum to be enormously helpful. I hope to bring many of the discussions that you have here to a wider audience closer to the anniversary itself. If anybody wishes to contact me in relation to anything my email address is rmcgreevy@irishtimes.com. I was out in Ypres and Mons last week doing some filming and I made this little video.

• 1 month later...

Glad I asked ! Seemed to stimulate a great deal of interest. I've downloaded the book - thanks and thanks to all who posted hints and info'. Rod