Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Motor Ambulance Convoy driver

Kath

A friend told me his grandfather drove an ambulance.

I thought he would be RAMC.

But he was a Motor Ambulance Convoy driver, ASC.

I presume the medics had to have reliable transport so they could concentrate on the wounded.

Kath.

MACs were ASC units.

I've always thought that Motor Ambulance Convoys fell into two categories. On the lines of communication and at the bases they were British Red Cross and St. John units staffed in the main by female drivers, and in Army areas they were actually R.A.M.C. units with A.S.C. drivers. Just had a look at the Official History which says:

Each convoy was to consist of fifty motor ambulance cars, three lorries, two motor cars, and one motor cycle, with three officers of the R.A.M.C., one officer of the A.S.C., fourteen R.A.M.C. other ranks, and 120 A.S.C. drivers and mechanics.

I think it follows from the figures that most of those ambulances would be driven by A.S.C. personnel without attendant R.A.M.C. men.

Sue

Thank you everyone.

My friend will be thrilled with all this.

Kath.

Kath and others,

My grandfather was an ASC driver and served with 48th Aux (Amb Car) Company, 814 Coy MT ASC.

They were formed in Dec 1916 and took over the ambulance duties in the Boulogne, Calais and Etaples areas from several previous units in those areas.

Their strength was initially 3 Officers all ASC, 1 Motor Car, 2 Motor Cycles, 1 Workshop, 49 Ambulances of various makes and 23 Charabancs including 2 hearses. Later increased by a further 22 Ambulances.

Unfortunately there is no further breakdown of strength given in the war diary, but I suspect the majority would be ASC. Their duties in the main involved transport between hospitals and from trains to hospitals. Sometimes providing transport for stragglers from marching units. The number of patients carried seems to be around the 50,000 a month but rises to nearly 100,000 during April 17. (Anything from 50,000 to 86,000 miles a month at 5.5 mpg)

Sue: an interesting point - thanks for pointing it out. I am not sure that a convoy in an Army area was actually an RAMC unit as such, but I will check it out.

Hello all

I think the explanation is that they formed part of the resources of the medical services, but they were not units of the RAMC. They were ASC Companies (though some closer to the base ports might have been staffed by the BRCS or St John's).

Skipman's list also shows Barge Filtration Units as "Medical" but they were units of the Inland Water Transport, technically partbof the RE Transportation Service.

Ron

I think the explanation is that they formed part of the resources of the medical services, but they were not units of the RAMC. They were ASC Companies (though some closer to the base ports might have been staffed by the BRCS or St John's).

The actual wording of the Official History, Medical Services, Volume 2, page 41-42 in my copy is:

For local work at the large hospital centres at the bases, motor ambulance convoys, provided by the Joint Committee of the B.R.C.S. and Order of St. John, many of them with women drivers, were employed; but those in the army areas and G.H.Q. Reserve were R.A.M.C. units with A.S.C. drivers, although the cars of several of them were presented by voluntary subscriptions or by individuals.

It goes on at great length about the convoys, and of course things might have changed or this paragraph might be incorrect, but the gist of the whole section is that the R.A.M.C. were in overall charge of the A.S.C. companies used for the M.A.C.s.

Sue

His 1919 History Sheet says:

Doyle Capt. RAMC was Officer Commanding Motor Ambulance Convoy.

"Motor Amb. Convoy - Amb. Car Driver - J.S.Doyle Capt. RAMC OC MAC. "

Kath.