Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hull War exhibition

toofatfortakeoff

Just got back from a brilliant Hull exhibition run I think by member Charles-he has gathered 56000 names of Hull and environs men and has it all in a data base at the site in King Edward St. The exhibition covers both wars and Charles lectures on the subject of tracing ancestors, putting family history together etc. I thoroughly recommend it-there is also a decommissioned weapons exhibition including a revolver that was fished out of the dock water. There are a bunch of very intelligent people who have got the numbers coming in droves to find out what granddad did. I have been twice now. Hulls story is very exciting, and there is lots to tell from the Somme to Zeppelin raids to Naval exploits. FAB

This is how it should be done. Kids love it, so much that mothers are complaining in the guest book that the yhave ben dragged in again! Well done Charles Ian and team

Just got back from a brilliant Hull exhibition run I think by member Charles-he has gathered 56000 names of Hull and environs men and has it all in a data base at the site in King Edward St. The exhibition covers both wars and Charles lectures on the subject of tracing ancestors, putting family history together etc. I thoroughly recommend it-there is also a decommissioned weapons exhibition including a revolver that was fished out of the dock water. There are a bunch of very intelligent people who have got the numbers coming in droves to find out what granddad did. I have been twice now. Hulls story is very exciting, and there is lots to tell from the Somme to Zeppelin raids to Naval exploits. FAB

This is how it should be done. Kids love it, so much that mothers are complaining in the guest book that the yhave ben dragged in again! Well done Charles Ian and team

Hi,

I have just looked at your? Barton-on-Humber website and thought that I ought to comment on the section regarding Memorial Plaques, where it is stated that these were given out free by the government up until the end of 1915 and were then paid for thereafter by the families of the deceased.

Two points (and I stand to be corrected on both):

1) Memorial Plaques were not issued, or sent to the next-of-kin of deceased soldiers, until circa 1919/23.

2) They were never paid for by next-of-kin.

I think that whoever wrote the statement regarding this on you website, needs to read up on this a little further and make some alterations to this misleading statement.

Robert

I think youve got it wrong. I'm pretty sure that after 1915, anyone who was killed after then, their families had to pay for them. That also has nothing to do with this thread. I wrote it myself by the way (the whole lot) and I go on what information was given to me by relatives and veterans. If you have any info to adjust this Id be glad to hear from you.

Sean

PS I wrote it myself-my intention is not to mislead-misleading is I thin an intentional action-that is not the case. The webisite and the material in it has taken a lot of collecting over 25 years so some of the material and info wa given to me when I was 17 years. A lot of work has gone into it and it was put up very quickly with a view to getting people in my locale interested in history-thanks for reading anyway.

Not sure Kath, I know that one family in Barton said ''we had to pay for ours'' meaning the plaque, because their 2 cousins had died after 1915. I suspect that someone relating something 70 yrs after the event would have a sketchy memory. So are we saying that every soldier who was killed, their families were issued with a free plaque, roughly a million, the figure seems high.

And incidentally I've never seen an Indian one. I recall the impact on bronze and I thought it was something to do with that? Never seen an Indian/African one either. Any chance of a scam with one of the factories going on?

Yes, a free plaque & memorial scroll for every family.

I think I've seen Indian ones on ebay.

I've been looking for the thread that discussed this scroll.

It was about A2 size.

Kath.

PS I wrote it myself-my intention is not to mislead-misleading is I thin an intentional action-that is not the case. The webisite and the material in it has taken a lot of collecting over 25 years so some of the material and info wa given to me when I was 17 years. A lot of work has gone into it and it was put up very quickly with a view to getting people in my locale interested in history-thanks for reading anyway.

Hi Sean,

Apologies, I have only just seen your replies.

I felt it useful to point out that your statement regarding Memorial Plaques is quite wrong on a couple of points, already mentioned previously, and that you may like to correct these purely so as to not mislead anyone reading this on your site. I apologise if you feel that I accused you of intentionally making a misleading statement--I assure you that this was not my aim nor intention.

Hopefully you will now be able to modify your website to include the correct facts regarding the issue of, and payment for, WW1 memorial plaques. I have found that when writng articles or letters which may be published, that it is always best to check 'facts' from several sources and then decide from these which are the most accurate. It is very dangerous to take facts from 'hearsay' and then to publish something based solely on these.

I hope that you don't take my comments in the wrong way.

Robert

Yes, a free plaque & memorial scroll for every family.

I think I've seen Indian ones on ebay.

I've been looking for the thread that discussed this scroll.

It was about A2 size.

Kath.

Hi Kath,

Thanks for confirming my comments regarding the Memorial Plaque.

The official Memorial Scroll which was sent to the next-of-kin was infact approximately A4 in size--I think that the A2 Scroll to which you refer was an un-official scroll made by a company/person who simply jumped on the band-wagon and tried to make money by selling these to families of the fallen. These scrolls are quite ornate and have a small panel around half-way down where an extract from CWGC records was glued.

Plaques to Indian soldiers are quite common and generally sell for a little less than the equivalent British ones. It is quite rare to see a complete medal group with plaque to an Indian recipient and even rarer to see a memorial scroll to one--although I think that they must have been issued--but not sure!!

Robert

Just hd a word with another family-North lincolshire they had to pay.

Just hd a word with another family-North lincolshire they had to pay.

Sean,

Believe it or not--nobody had to pay for the Memorial Plaque issued to the fallen from WW1--except the Government of the day!

If you really insist that you are correct based on 'hearsay'? they why not post an enquiry on the Forum regarding this--and see the response you receive!

Robert

The families may well be referring to the charge that was levied for the additional text on headstones. There are several threads where that is well covered. Anecdotal history is subject to many confusions, even more so when passed through generations. There's a thread on that too.

Keith

Hi Kath,

-I think that the A2 Scroll to which you refer was an un-official scroll made by a company/person who simply jumped on the band-wagon and tried to make money by selling these to families of the fallen. These scrolls are quite ornate and have a small panel around half-way down where an extract from CWGC records was glued.

Robert

That's it, Robert. I wish I could find the thread with the photo.

I have the one sent to my grandmother. She didn't send a payment. They seem to have been sent in the hope familes would buy them.

Kath.

That's it, Robert. I wish I could find the thread with the photo.

I have the one sent to my grandmother. She didn't send a payment. They seem to have been sent in the hope familes would buy them.

Kath.

Hi Kath,

I am sure that someone will have a photo of one if you post a request on here. Unfortunately I don't have one at present, although I have had a couple in the past which came with medal groups.

Robert

Thanks for the comments Robert-I don't take them the wrong way-I would say that a lot of what comes down through the history of the war on family levels iwhich forms the bulk of the work in the entire blog s often hearsay and I have tried to sort the fact from fiction-recently I have found that a lot of what the vicar wrote at the time was inaccurate, and formulated from govt guidance for vicars notices (these did exist Ive seen one) so the whoel thing has been up in the air a few times. I can only say that the part about the war plaque (three lines at the beginning of one blog page) is from notes that I took when I was 17 and I am still sifting through them, after all theses years. I have even found someone hitting a brick wall on service records recently who got the wrong name of their great grandfather simply because he went by a nickname. The site is about Barton upon Humber and the men who went around the world to fight the war-I do not claim it as a historical site as such, but to raise interest in the subject and I believe this has hit the mark. If you would care to read some more of it and supply your comments they are welcome. I am not a historian by trade, I am a nurse-and this is not my profession-it is most likely a poor attempt but between a few of us we have gone in Barton from not knowing anyone on photographs to about fifty percent and I personally am pleased with that if nothing else. I have also taken damaged photos restored them and given them back to some very happy relatives who are only to please to have their family men on the blog whom they thought had been forgotten. As for myself I will continue to work at this when time allows (very busy job) despite it being a ''leisurely pursuit''.