Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

4th Highland Mountain Brigade, RGA

RobL

Received this photograph of my great-grandad, stood on the far left, in Argyll Battery, 4th Highland Mountain Brigade, RGA. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this photo so I can try and get more information on where it was taken? Apologies for the poor quality. His service number was 300127, believe his service record doesn't exist, have his MIC but would be interested in absolutely anything else anyone may have

post-24634-0-20415300-1352543234_thumb.j

Hello RobL

The battery was in Gallipoli until Jan 1916, then Egypt before going to Salonika in Sep 1916 where it stayed. The land looks a bit flat for Gallipoli, and possibly for Salonika too, so I would say probably taken in Egypt. Soory I can't be more definite.

Ron

• 1 month later...

Thanks Ron, I did think it looked rather flat for Gallipoli. Hope I can get a better photo as it's the only one i've seen of my great-grandad in WW1. Regarding the unit, does anyone know what the shoulder titles for this unit would be? Possibly, depending on the battery (so for example Argyll);

TF

ARGYLL

RGA

Hi Rob!

Thought I'd address this here. It is post 1917 at least due to the Tam 0' Shanters. Post Gallipoli because they are using mules instead of Highland ponies which were all dead by then. It even has a look which makes me think post war. They upgunned to the 2.75 in Mountain Gun in Salonika (they upgunned from the 10 pounders when they left Gallipoli with the few 10 pounders they had left as they were worn beyond use by then). Unfortunately, I can't see the guns, just that wheel. I have attached a photo of the shoulder titles. In addition, each battery wore their tartan patch behind their RGA Cap Badge on their Wolsey helmets and their bonnets.

MIkepost-2067-0-44194800-1356733129_thumb.jp

Hi Rob!

Thought I'd address this here. It is post 1917 at least due to the Tam 0' Shanters. Post Gallipoli because they are using mules instead of Highland ponies which were all dead by then. It even has a look which makes me think post war. They upgunned to the 2.75 in Mountain Gun in Salonika (they upgunned from the 10 pounders when they left Gallipoli with the few 10 pounders they had left as they were worn beyond use by then). Unfortunately, I can't see the guns, just that wheel. I have attached a photo of the shoulder titles. In addition, each battery wore their tartan patch behind their RGA Cap Badge on their Wolsey helmets and their bonnets.

MIkepost-2067-0-44194800-1356733129_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Managed to acquire an Argyll battery shoulder title - i'm having reproduction ones for anyone interested. Mike, if possible I would really appreciate a photograph showing the badge on the Wolseley, or any at all showing the battery at Gallipoli (or elsewhere)

Have attached a photo of the Argyll battery shoulder title on a Service Dress tunic

post-24634-0-14148200-1358380783_thumb.j

Best regards, Rob

Rob, I haven't seen any photos with the badge on the Wolseley helmets. I have attached one of a gun crew in action in Salonika which shows the badge on the Tam. I believe the reason you can see it so well is that the tartan backing is present as well.

MikeRegards,

post-2067-0-52385600-1358386389_thumb.jp

Many thanks Mike, i'm putting in an order to the IWM for some prints of photographs showing the unit which I hope will also help - the unit is fascinating in itself without my great-grandad's connection. Do you know what would be put on the identity discs of the men? Not sure if it would just be RGA or it would go into more detail (I've seen a Hampshire RGA one before). I'm hoping to get copies made as part of a display for my grandad once i've found more information about my great-grandfather

I'd be interested in the IWM material. I have been there once and looked through their study room, but a part of one day is not enough time. Please email when it comes in. As far as the ID disc's, I have a fuzzy recollection of seeing one years ago, but can't recall the particulars. I think it said "4 HMB", but I wouldn't swear to it.

Mike Morrison

Thanks Mike, will hold off until I can find some more definite evidence - cap badges are possibly an issue too, I know that Territorial units didn't have the 'UBIQUE' scroll above the gun, instead having a laurel - however some units such as Hampshire RGA had 'Hampshire' on the badge, was there any distinction to the 4th HMB badges? Not sure if I mentioned already to you but found out my great-grandfather was also in the TA after WW1 so may mean his service record is with the Ministry of Defence

My grandfather's Cap Badge (Looking at it right now) has "Ubique" in the scroll. He was commissioned during the war so that may have made a difference. Someone else more knowledgeable on the forum will know if they see this.

Mike Morrison

Hi.

I have read the above posts with keen interest, in particular the images of the 4th in the field caught my attention, as my grandfather was a member of this unit from mid 1916, through to the end of the war. He never talked about it at all, so the family has little knowledge of what he did, only knowing his regimental number (300746).

If any other images are or become available, I'd be extremely interested in seeing them, if at all possible.

Cheers,

Iain

Iain,

Your grandfather was Gunner Andrew Cox of the Bute Mountain Battery? If you would like some more information on the Bute Battery and the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade, do a search on this site and PM me your email address and I'll send you what I have. If you are anywhere near Oban, or Rothesay, there are photos and documents in their respective museums.There are some items in the Castle Museum in Edinburgh and at Firepower at Woolwich.

Mike Morrison

Hi Mike,

Yes, that's my grandfather, right enough. Its only recently I discovered he was in the Bute Mountain Battery. All I really know about them was that the men (generally) were taller and stronger, due to the arduous geographical nature of the areas they were sent to fight? I will PM my email address, in the hope of finding out more. Much appreciated!

I will try to get along to either Oban or Rothesay to look at the museums, which I didnt realise existed.

Cheers,

Iain

Iain,

Freed up some space. Try again.

The requirements for enlistment were such that mountain gunners had to be taller than other gunners in the RFA, RHA and RGA. They had to lift the disassembled guns up onto mounts which were atop mules (Highland ponies in the case of the 4th HMB until they were all killed at Gallipoli).

In Oban, it's the War and Peace Museum (ask for the photos as they are usually not on display). Oban was the home of one section of the Argyll Mountain Battery.

In Rothesay, it's the Bute Museum. That was the site of the Brigade HQ and one section of the Bute Mountain Battery (both right around the corner from where the museum is today, next to the castle). Last I was there, there was a bit on display in the main room, but they have a binder with copies of my grandfather's photos in them.

Regards,

Mike Morrison

• 11 years later...
On 17/01/2013 at 00:00, RobL said:

Managed to acquire an Argyll battery shoulder title - i'm having reproduction ones for anyone interested. Mike, if possible I would really appreciate a photograph showing the badge on the Wolseley, or any at all showing the battery at Gallipoli (or elsewhere)

Have attached a photo of the Argyll battery shoulder title on a Service Dress tunic

post-24634-0-14148200-1358380783_thumb.j

Best regards, Rob

Hi, ive been on the lookout for a shoulder title wuth no luck. Is it still possible to get a reproduction?