1st Battalion Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, 23 July 1916

Spackman

Hi

I am researching my great uncle

Private 18024 Frederick Hugo

1st Battalion Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry

Killed in Action France & Flanders 23 July 1916

Recorded at Delville Wood Cemetery, Longueval

I can’t trace his Attestation papers neither have I been successful in finding any details on the 1st Battalion’s involvement in France – probably because I haven't been looking in the right place.

Would anyone be able to point me in the direction of the 1st Battalion’s War Diary for the 23 July 1916 or details of the action.

Thanks

Andy Claxton

Hi

On Wednesday 19 July 1916 his battalion moved into forward positions near Longueval, occupying a sunken road leading to High Wood. On the day of his death the battalion attacked Delville Wood and initially made good headway and captured a strong point. The Germans, however, made a fierce counter attack and forced the battalion to retire to Pont Street.

Casualties amounted to 149 men killed during the day.

The War Diary records,

“23 July 1916 - Firing Line. “A”, “B” and “D” Companies assaulted three strong points at 3.40am.

“D” Company was repulsed with heavy loss, Captain Gent, 2nd Lts. Ellery and Ellis were wounded and 2nd Lts. Liversedge and Willis were missing and believed killed.

“B” Company reached their objective but as the enemy came round their flanks they were compelled to retire with heavy loss owing to machine gun fire.

“A” Company also reached their objective but was compelled to retire owing to machine gun fire from the rear and the fact that their flanks were also in the air.

The battalion was relieved at night by the 1st Devons and returned to the trenches in Happy Valley.”

Regards

Graeme