Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Laindon Hill near Hill 60 Gallipoli

gilly100

Hi All

Am perusing 54th Div war diaries and in 161st Brigade HQ diary there is reference to a LAINDON HILL, which I cannot identify on any maps I have around the Hill 60, Yuaun Tepe and Damakjelik Bair and Aghyl Dere areas. Yuaun Tepe or Flat Hill is the continuation of Hill 60 going back towards Hill 100 and Sari Bair.

Can anyone tell me where this Laindon Hill is located? I have maps identifying many of the trenches and other features on the Square 92 of the Kurija Dere Map, but nothing I have seen denotes this Laindon Hill, which appears to be have held on the Allied side, athough Turks within 100 yards in forward posts or trenches. Just another feature to locate for future reference.

THANKS

Ian

Thanks Michael

Nice to know and will now dig to see who or what LAINDON was in regard to the naming. The Brits certainly gave many names to all the trenches which are well identified on some of the maps.

Cheers

Ian

Laindon Hill otherwise known as Langdon Hill or Hills, Basildon Essex.

Thanks Auchonvillerssomme

It all helps!

Ian

It was named by the 4th Bn Essex Regt whose Bn HQ was in Brentwood. There is a map of the area that the Essex Regt operated in showing all the trench names and features in "Essex Units in the War 1914-1919 Vol 5 - 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th Battalions" opposite page 70. See below....and the Sevki Pasha. As anyone who has fought will tell you - the battle always happens at the junction of the maps.....not quite sure how I managed to get all three maps on the same post.

It is worth noting that the photo on the article shown in the link on post #2 claiming to be Laindon Hill is also shown in the "Essex Units in the War 1914-1919 Vol 5 - 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th & 8th Battalions" by John Burrows published in 1932 opposite page 71 but titled "ANZAC: Romford road Trenches"....as you can see on the attached British sketch maps Romford Road was a distinctly different feature and led into Laindon Hill. However the book "With the 1/5th Essex in The East" by T Gibbons in 1921 has the same picture titled "The front line on Laindon Hill, ANZAC" .The first mention of Laindon Hill in the History is on page 74:

"
The Turks established a forward post on Laindon Hill on November 8th about 100 yards from the divisional line and the next day a bomb firing catapault was used with great effect upon them"

The context implies it was known as Laindon Hill before this date. On page 75 it records:

"
The best known of all [the trench names] however was Laindon Hill, on the Western slope of Hill 100. Its naming came about in this wise (sic) 'On September 23rd' says Colonel Gibbons 'the 5th took over a new piece of line from the 4th Essex. It ran for the most part along the crest of the steep southern slope of the Kaiajik Dere and covered the head of another deep dere on the right. The enemy lined the opposite side of the dere. At the head of the Kaiajik we had 200 yards of scrubby level ground between us. We called this point Laindon Hills'. The view therefrom was magnificent.

By the way there is a very nice wide-view panorama taken from Hill 60, literally standing on the edge of the trenches looking back towards Suvla. The Hill 60 trenches are quite clear as are the distinctive track that run along the contours running NW ish...It is very barren and completely different to today's pine tree covered landscape. Photos would have been taken in the 1920s MG

post-55873-0-65710100-1349113641_thumb.j

post-55873-0-86896400-1349113648_thumb.j

post-55873-0-51033100-1349113782_thumb.j

Thanks Martin

This makes it very clear that Laindon Hill was nowhere near Hill 60 or was in fact Hill 60 itself as I was starting to think. Merely part of the Damakjelik Bair, thus divided from Hill 100 by the Kaiajik Dere. I have all the Essex histories coming, so all good there. Maps terrific.

Many thanks all

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hi All

While still discovering place names in the Hill 60/Damakjelik Bair area, I have come across one named "Finsbury Vale". Can anyone shed light on this place name and its location. I now have the Essex Regt history, and quite illuminating it is. Much good info for the ops by the Essex Bns in this area of northern Anzac. So much to learn after the 54th Div took over this area of ops! So glad I have bought a heap of Brit and Indian/Gurkha regimental histories!! Something a few more Aussies should do me thinks!!! All about balance!

Thanks

Ian

See attached map...it is extremely feint and probably not legible on the post but the dark line running between the two asterisks is Finsbury Vale. Other key areas such as 162nd Bde HQ, 54th Div HQ and Hampshire Lane etc are also shown. Burnt Gully is the small gully running W-E just above the topmost asterisk...on the map opposite page 70 of the Essex Regt History Vol 5 Finsbury Vale is the dotted valley running NW from just above the 300 on the Scale of Yards. Finsbury Vale and Rest Camp occupy the same line on the attached map and just below the upper asterisk is the 1st Eastern Mounted Bde HQ. Hampshire lane runs from west to east starting from the lower asterisk and runs into King's Own Avenue - both shown on the Essex History map on opposite page 70.

Among the hundreds of maps I have this is the only one I have with Finsbury Vale marked on it. Is suspect the 1/11th and 1/10th London Histories might mention it. I will check the Yeomanry diaries too as their HQ was adjacent. Worth exploring Cadogan's diary too as he was Norfolk Yeo. ....Sufflok Yeomanry War Diary dated 31st Oct, 10th Nov and Nov 19th (and subsequent entries throughout Nov and Dec) confirms Finsbury Vale and Rest Camp are one and the same.

post-55873-0-15187000-1353782155_thumb.j

Thanks Martin and Michael

Terrific info. It appears I have more war diaries and unit histories to buy yet. The Essex history Vol 5 is a terrific book with great maps and some nice photos. Good info also. Much reading still to do.

Regards

Ian