Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Capt Richard Henry Tate Royal Welch Fusiliers?

roughdiamond

Hi Folks

Pauline Eldride originally posted this on "Documents and Records Requests/lookups" http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=184577&hl= I suggested she post it on here, but she posted it on "Other", I thought it'd be better on here and get more attention, below the photo is my initial answer.

Sam

Can any one help with information about Captain Richard Henry Tate of the Royal Welch Fusiliers? We learnt that this was his occupation from his daughter's marriage certificate (1936) where he is listed as deceased. His daughter was born in 1913 in NSW Australia. Family anecdotes have passed down information that she was born in the Alice Springs area under canvas in an army environment. This was the explanation for her having no birth certificate issued. Does anyone have any information about the Royal Welch being in Australia at that time? I can find no army service details in genealogy sites about Captain Tate so I am a bit lost. Any information or suggestions for future research would be welcome. I have attached a photograph that we believe to be of him.

Many thanks for your help,

johnforum.jpg

That looks to me like a 2Lt as he's got one pip, also the collar badges, a flaming grenade, have a scroll underneath, almost certainly saying "Ubique", my bet would be 2Lt Royal Engineers (a nine flame grenade) or Royal Artillery (a 7 flame grenade), here's a Medal card for 2Lt R H Tate Royal Garrison Artillery http://www.nationala...&resultcount=50 this could be your man.

This is it on Ancestry http://search.ancest...D9_x=1&uidh=000

There are no births registered in 1913 in Oz in the Armed Forces GRO

What was daughters and wife name

Is Richard from UK ?

Grant

He's not on my list of RWF officers - however it could be an omission.

Maricourt

Those collar dogs aren't RWF, the Scroll underneath rules that out. I maybe wrong but I'm almost certain only RE and RA have badges with that grenade and scroll combination.

Sam

• Admin

A couple of points about the Australian connection:

- Alice Springs is in the Nothern Territory and many, many miles from New South Wales.

- The British Army sending out battalions of soldiers to garrison the Empire stopped in Australia in the mid-19th century.

For the family history part, I strongly recommend registering at Rootschat and posting under the Australia section.

It may be just me but that uniform has a distinct look of a post war one. If we can get some basic details about Richard - date of birth etc we will be able to find out his career.

There are no service records for him at NA and even the index of Officers service has nothing on him.

Glen

The only evidence we have of Richard's occupation is that listed on his daughter's marriage certificate. We know nothing about Richard - just that he is said to be a Captain in the Welch Fusiliers, and this photo that was given to my partner by his mother and he believes that it is his grandfather. The wife's name was Dorothy Randall, and the daughter Pamela Dorothy Tate. Pamela's place of birth is anecdotal and it seems that the birth was never registered. She had no birth certificate. A British passport issued to Pamela Tate (then Pamela Bell) in 1968 gives her place of birth as NSW but it also gives her date of birth as 9 Jan 1917, whereas death certificate and age on marriage certificate both suggest 1913 to be the correct date.

I really appreciate all your help

Pauline

Do we know if Dorothy was British ?

I cant see any marriage between Richard and Dorothy in the UK or Armed forces BDM's

Grant

Possibly born abroad - India or South Africa? Born Dorothy Eleanor Randall - Father Charles Randall given on second marriage certificate. Her birth date is given on death record as 25 May 1891, and on second marriage, Oct 16 1919 her name is given as Dorothy Eleanor Tate, a widow aged 26 years old