Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A SMLE with a story?

RangeRover

I have just acquired the 1914 Lithgow SMLE pictured here. The rifle appears to be in original 1914 trim.

IMG_2885.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2882.jpg

There is a plaque inset into the left side of the buttstock and some hand "engraving" above it. The plaque reads "Dardanelles 1916 A.N.Z.A.C." There is some hand lettering ("Aegean 1918") scratched into the buttstock below a groove running across the top of the buttstock and the other side of the buttstock shows the beginnings of a second etching at the other end of the groove, at the top above all the Lithgow buttstock markings. "8.14" is what is stamped to the right of the Lithgow shield on the buttstock - the first month of the war.

IMG_2891.jpg

I will cross-post slightly into the Gallipoli sub-forum to try to get more information about the "Aegean 1918" reference.

As an added bonus, the rifle came equipped with a 1913-dated ME Co web sling

As can be seen in the third photo, the rifle has some damage to the fore-end. Old damage it would appear. There is no "story" that came with this rifle, though I continue to try to ferret information out, but it's interesting to ponder whether this damage, and the gouge across the top of the buttstock, were acquired at the scene of the events commemorated by the plaque and personalized notation in the woodwork. Although how the rifle survived in this condition all these years mystifies me.

forearmLHS.jpg

I have just acquired the 1914 Lithgow SMLE pictured here. The rifle appears to be in original 1914 trim.

Congratulations on owning such a fine example of an Australian Lithgow manufactured .303 Short, Magazine Lee-Enfield Rifle No.1 Mk.III

The woodwork on early production Lithgow rifles was usually made from Italian Walnut imported from Britain, as your's looks to be, later models used the lighter coloured Australian Queensland Maple for the woodwork.

A possible reason it is in such excellent condition, is that it may have come from a Museum display, and that may also account for the ANZAC ( Australian and New Zealand Army Corps ) plaque attached to the butt, which also links the rifle to the ANZAC Gallipoli Campaign.

Although it is not shown in this Thread but is shown in a photograph on your linked ' Aegean 1918 ' Thread, the markings on the butt include, the early Lithgow Inspection Mark ( A Kangaroo C ), and the ' CMF ' stamp on the butt of the early rifles, stands for ' Citizens Military Forces '.

Great rifle, great example, many thanks for sharing it.

Regards,

LF

OOOOH its you!

I was looking at this over on the Enfield forum.

I would echo all the sentiments there. This is a fantastic example. I am not (unlike many over there! ) head over heels about anything with Lithgow on it but this really is a fabulous example of a very very early Lithgow.

Good on you....

Chris

There is no "story" that came with this rifle, though I continue to try to ferret information out ...

Well from the buttstock markings that you have posted I can tell you that this rifle was first issued in Queensland (ie. 1MD = 1st Military District)

That corresponding ownership number (9964) is the lowest that I have seen on a rifle. Just the 4 digits are rare, I have seen some on bayonets.

I would dearly love to see what your rifles serial number is. I'm doing a survey cross referencing the dates of these markings. It's likely ~10xxx.?

Given the "history" stated on the attached plaque this is interesting. The first troops to hit the shore at ANZAC beach were from the 3rd Brigade.

This Brigade comprised battalions that were drawn from the 'Outer States' (ie. smaller, less populous states) including the 9th Bt. of Queensland.

You have a beautiful rifle there, but the inscriptions raise many questions. Weren't the troops all withdrawn from the peninsula by the year 1916.?

EDIT. Never mind about the serial - I just got it off the Gunboards thread.! Wow, what a nice rifle, and that early serial does make my heart race.!

Cheers, S>S

Weren't the troops all withdrawn from the peninsula by the year 1916.?

I think the allies occupied some Turkish posessions in the Agean at the end of the war didn't they? Units certainly went into Turkey at the end of the war. That might explain the 1918. There was also some naval action in the Agean in 1918 I think (although the link with an SMLE might be tenuous)

Chris

I read the following :-

" In November 1918 the Canterbury Mounted Rifles and the 7th Light Horse Regiments ( ANZAC Mounted Division ) were sent from Rafa to Gallipoli to " monitor Turkish compliance with the terms of the Armistice." The 900 troopers, sailed from Kantara in the transport ' Huntscastle ' to Chanak, camping at Camburnu near Kilid Bahr during three winter months when they were to reconnoitre the Peninsula, identifying graves and inspecting the Ottoman positions. They returned to Egypt on 19 January 1919 less 11 who had died and 110 sick in hospital. "

Which no doubt accounts for the ' Aegean 1918 ' inscription on the rifle butt, and this rifle was probably carried by one of those 900 ANZAC troops who returned to Gallipoli in 1918 ?

This ANZAC SMLE does seem to have an interesting story.

LF

Been thinking some more on these curious inscriptions. It's obviously been a "presentation rifle" thats been hanging on some wall for a long time, but where.

I find both the locations interesting as they seem to be related to the Naval operations not Land campaigns (ie. the Aegean Sea and the Dardanelles Strait)

I do know that these Army operations at Gallipoli etc. were very heavily supported by the RN vessels that transported the troops both into and out of theatre.

So my theory is that this rifle was presented by an Australian Army officer, to a commander of a Royal Navy vessel that provided sterling service in support.

From past experience, the style of the plaque reminds me of something that might be seen hanging on the wall of some ship's wardroom or officer's mess.?

Cheers, S>S

SS, the possibility of this being presented to a naval officer is intriguing and has some potential as I purchased the rifle from a seller on the west coast of Canada, home to Canada's Pacific fleet. I still don't have any back story, but I'm still hopeful.

I'm afraid I can't help with the story, but would just like to add my voice to those saying what an absolutely wonderful piece that is. Fantastic!

v

" In November 1918 the Canterbury Mounted Rifles and the 7th Light Horse Regiments ( ANZAC Mounted Division ) were sent from Rafa to Gallipoli to " monitor Turkish compliance with the terms of the Armistice." The 900 troopers, sailed from Kantara in the transport ' Huntscastle ' to Chanak, camping at Camburnu near Kilid Bahr during three winter months when they were to reconnoitre the Peninsula, identifying graves and inspecting the Ottoman positions. They returned to Egypt on 19 January 1919 less 11 who had died and 110 sick in hospital. "v

LF,

From below, sounds like the Hunts Castle was quite a scow. If you find out who her skipper was, chances are you'll find he wound up on the west coast of Canada.

The transport, on which the 7th Regiment and the Canterbury M.R. embarked, was the "Huntscastle," a captured boat which had recently been gutted by fire; though a good horse boat and seaworthy, she was not well fitted to carry so many troops. The three officers who had been allowed at the last moment to go on 1914 leave were Major Hession, Lieutenants Waugh, H.G.H., and Waugh, W., and these were said good-bye to before sailing. Captain Maddrell had already gone. The "Huntscastle" left Kantara at 5.30 a.m. on November 28th, Lieut.Colonel Finlay, C.B., D.S.O., of the C.M.R., being O.C. Troops. Port Said was reached about three hours later, and the day was spent in taking in coal and supplies; time was lost in repairing some horse boxes on deck, which had badly slipped, when men were being assembled to boat stations. The transport put to sea in fine weather at 6 a.m. next day, all ranks wearing lifebelts owing to the menace of anchored mines in the shallow waters, and these belts were always carried during the voyage. The masts of two vessels which had been sunk a few miles out of Port Said showed the work of enemy submarines. On November 30th the weather changed, and, running through the Sporades Group of the Greek Archipelago, it became squally with an unpleasant choppy sea.

http://7thalh.blogspot.com/2008/01/official-history-of-7th-light-horse.html

Louisiana 1902 built by Flensburger Schiffsbau Gesellschaft, Flensburg | 1905 sold to Woermann Linie renamed Erna Woermann, 1914 captured by HMS Cumberland in Douala, renamed Huntscastle, operated by Union-Castle Mail SS Co. 1921 sold to Deutsche Afrika Linien renamed Sultan, 1933 scrapped. 5,408

http://www.merchant-...eet-more-4.html

The fellow who owns this site might be able to help

http://unioncastlest...PMATES_ABC.html