Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

12th Battalion Rifle Brigade - Somme October 1916

Paul E

My cousin died on Oct 9th 1916 from wounds received on I think the 7th and I am trying to find out a little more about what happened. Does any have the diary for this battalion by any chance?

Any help greatly appreciated.

The 20th (Light) Division was involved in the Battle of Le Transloy Ridge 7th October 1916, and the 12th RB was part of the first wave, the first objective being Rainbow Trench and then on to Cloudy Trench. The attack started at 1347 and all objectives were taken by 1415, however, the 12th RB took heavy casualties as they reached the crest of the ridge, but as they reached Rainbow Trench the Germans surrendered in large numbers.

Regards

John

Thanks very much John. Would you mind letting me have any details of any action on the 8th as that is another possible date for his wounding, also if you have any info on the preceeding day or days it would be very much appreciated.

I have subsequently found the following which is from the auction of the medals of another casualty from the 12th RB on the October 7th and listed on the same CCS report as my cousin, 2nd Lieutenant Simmonds. I have no idea where this detail originated from:

Walter Sangster Simmons was in the ranks of the Royal Fusiliers from 1914 but was commissioned into the Rifle Brigade in July 1916 and joined the 12th (S) Battalion in France on 10 September. “Just one month later, on 7th October 1916, he commanded “B” Company in the attack on Rainbow Trench, east of Guedecourt. The leading companies left their trenches in dead ground but as they advanced out of this comparative safety they found themselves in front of virtually uncut German wire being machine-gunned and shelled. All five officers of “A” and “B” Companies were killed or wounded here, as were about half of their men. 2nd Lieutenant Simmonds has no known grave and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.”

Hi

I have this

4th October, marched to dug out at Carnoy and on the 6th marched to Montauban. On the 7th carried out an attack on Rainbow Trench in conjunction with 6th Bn Oxfordshire & Buckinghamshire Light Infantry and 7th Bn Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry. The attack was successful and the objectives, together with a number of prisoners, four machine guns, and two trench mortars, were captured, but heavy casualties were suffered by the Battalion during the advance. In subsequent consolidation, an enemy counter attack was sharply repulsed.

The Battalions casualties were:- Killed: Captain L.C.B. Russell, 2nd Lieutenants W.S. Simmonds, R.P. Dashwood, Blencowe and Ive (the two latter officers being attached from the 6th Oxs & Bucks L.I.) and thirty three other ranks.

2nd Lieutenants Mitchell, Burrell and A.V. Hughes (all attached officers) were wounded and 193 other ranks were wounded or missing. Only two Company Officers survivied the attack.

The Battalion was relieved on the 8th and marched to a camp in the Sandpits. A wire congratulating the Division on taking all its objectives was received from the IVth Army.

Regards,

Graeme

After the 7 October the History of the 20th (Light) Division doesn't mention the 12th RB specifically, but goes to say about the 20th's battalions consolidating the positions and successfully repelling German counter attacks.

On the night of 8/9 October the division was releived by the 6th Division, and moved back to the neighbourhood of Treux for a well earned rest, where they were personelly thanked by Lt Gen The Earl of Cavan, GOC XIV Corps.

Casualties were: 626 60th Brigade, 469 61st Brigade and 17 59th Brigade.

Regards

John

• 1 year later...

Two recent pieces of my own research have been settled by this posting

The Officer Blencowe who died (see diary entry for 7th Oct above) was Oswald Charles Blencowe of the 6th Ox and Bucks on attachment to the Rifle Brigade , this post tells me it was the 12th Bn.

I was not sure where from family recollections etc where he had died but this posting confirms that, does anybody have a trench map for this engagement?

Recently while research Oswald I found this site that had a letter written by him from the front line in 1916, its a great little letter to understand the feelings of this man. http://www.europeana1914-1918.eu/en/contributions/5366 by the way this site has a great deal of good stuff about the war from all angles.

The intro on this page talks about Oswald's brother age 90 who had these letters this seems to be factually incorrect on several levels most importantly Oswald had three brothers who served .

Lawrence Cave Blencowe 2nd Lieutenant 5795, 5795 West York Regiment, 2nd/10 Btn. Liverpool Scottish Regiment KIA at Bois Grenier on the afternoon of 29th June 1917

Remembered at http://www.blencowesdownunder.com/blncwes-in-the-miltry.html

Arthur John Walcott Blencowe Captain -Temp Major 2nd Batt. Lancashire Fusiliers

Remembered at http://www.blencowesdownunder.com/blncwes-in-the-miltry.html

William James Blencowe 1885 Marston St Lawrence Private 629046 47th Bn Canadian Infantry

In memory of

Oswald Charles Blencowe
At the outbreak of war, Oswald enlisted in a Public Schools Battalion of the Royal Fusiliers, He entered France on the 14 Nov. 1915 , he served as Sergeant in the Royal Fusiliers in France for some months.In January 1916 he sent a letter home (attached) from the front a poignant reminder of the terrible and sad time the war inflicted on the soldiers.
Oswald was then commissioned in the Oxford and Bucks Light Infantry 1 May 1916 and lent by them to the 12th Bn Rifle Brigade which had suffered the loss of many officers.